Chef's Table

peanut head

Hello All!  I just booked the Chef's Table for my husband and me on the Edge 4/2022 TA and have a couple of questions.  We are staying in a suite where we'll get the Prem. Bev. Pkg (PBP) included.  I am aware that it cannot be used for the "wine pairing" portion of the dining experience.  The event is listed as occurring on the 1st night of sailing at 5:30pm and evening dress is recommended.  I find that hard to believe as it's usually chaotic the 1st night with boarding, luggage arrival and a dinner that would begin at that time.  Here are my questions:

1. Can we use our PBP to order a glass of wine/liquor from another (PBP) menu to drink with the meal or does all liquor have to be an extra charge?

2. Which night, typically, does the experience occur, what time does it begin and about how long does it last? 

3.  Which venue is it usually held?

4. What do you consider evening attire (we don't mind dressing up but does that mean formal dress)? 

5.  Has anyone participated in this event and what are their thoughts--one and done, eat before you go, wear an elastic waistband🤣?

Thanks!

We did it two or three years ago on an S Class ship. Our dinner was held in the Murano wine cask room. We got a discounted price because we had the premium package. I can’t remember if we had the same wines others had or had something substituted from the premium package. I don’t know the current rules.

The menus were available for review and they were able to address allergies (with weird substitutions.) They also let people order substitutes for items they didn’t like.

Full disclosure, we had an amazing chef’s table-like on the Oceania Riviera a couple of mo this before that. The meal was heavily shell-fish and I am allergic. I spoke with the chef in advance and she said she could absolutely handle it. My food looked like everyone else’s and was delicious. My husband’s dairy allergy was a bit more challenging. His didn’t look the same but was also delicious.

• Thanks 1

We have attended the Chef's Table on both M and S class ships but not on the Edge. The reservation system although it indicates the first evening, it is just a placeholder, if memory serves correctly it was mid cruise, and i believe it was a sea day in both cases.  As far as dress code, in one instance i wore a jacket, no tie, button down dress shirt and dress trousers and my wife wore a cocktail dress.  the second tim i wore a button down dress shirt and dress trousers, and my wife wore slacks and a flowing blouse. Both times no one was over or under dressed....sort of like  a nice evening out.  I always will do the wine pairing, while my wife uses her PBP to order what she prefers in a wine. On the M class it was held in Tuscan Grille, on the S class in Murano. The evening will start with cocktails at one of the bars. On one occasionit was a full table, so the Chef and sommelier acted as hosts, the other time we had two hostesses from the guest relations department, it wasn't a full table. We have done it several times and will do it again. Do not eat before you go, it is a multicourse meal served over a couple of hours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've thought of doing this several times, but never quite made the commitment... after reading these couple comments I decided the next cruise is the one to do it on so I just went into my planner and signed up!  On the Reflection next March, already looking forward to it.

The wines that were paired the last time I dined there (Nov 2019) were waaay more expensive than any premium bev pkg choices.  Absolutely great pairing choices, too. Just checked the included photo and that particular evening, gentlemen wore sport coats, no ties.  You also receive a ridiculously heavy Chef Daniel Boulud cookbook (gotta be close to 10 lbs).  I don't take the cookbooks anymore.

• Like 1

Chef’s table is usually a great cruise experience...When we did it we did the wine paring and thought the choices were excellent. We didn’t have a drinks package at the time so not a difficult choice!

Only snag is you are with a group of people you don’t know. Whilst this is usually a pleasant experience we got Mr Know It All. He interrupted the chef and sommelier and constantly overtook every light chat conversation. His wife kept asking for her glass to be refilled (obviously she was used to dining out with him). 

It put us off for some time although I would consider again. If you are part of the roll call for your cruise you may want to see if anyone else is considering...

• Like 2

We have done at least two chefs tables. Both were great. Food and wine were excellent. Wines were about premium package. No charges. They ask if you have any allergies. If you have a problem talk with Morano host during day. Days of table vary. We did one on the first night. Great choice away from madness of first night. We have done on S class only and were held in Morano. As for dress, tux or coat and tie or just a jacket, depending on what spouse will suggest and if shek night. Enjoy, All of them we have been to were special. 

• Thanks 1

The Chef’s table has been intriguing to me for a while now. Reading your comments makes it even more interesting. 

Thank you for the information regarding the dress code. It was one of my questions.

The other question is wine pairing. We have the premium package, but we would be much more interested in the wine pairing.

The price I saw for the chef’s table on our next cruise on Silhouette was $375 per person, (CDN dollar, I believe). My question is: Does that fee include the wine pairing or will I be billed for that option in addition to that cost?

Thank you for sharing your experience and expertise! 

Always have had great experiences with the Chefs Table.  Its a great meal and have met great people sharing the meal with.  It is well thought out.  My next cruise, hoping November but kind of pessimistic about that reality at this point, I will do it again but my travel partner is a vegetarian so will see what if they can accommodate this aspect of the food.  I hope so.  

• Like 1

Wine pairing is usually included. I would talk to someone when you get onboard and ask. That price usually includes pairing. If you have package or are elite or higher ask and you may get a discount. I can not remember if we did but I think we did. We usually always have premium drink package and are Elite Plus. Good luck, it is worth the price. 

• Haha 1

Thanks for posting this question! We signed up for the Chef's table on our upcoming Millennium sailing in July! So really excited, I've done it across different cruise lines and only RCL's was a disappointment, so we're really looking forward to the experience!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, cachouonacruise said:

The Chef’s table has been intriguing to me for a while now. Reading your comments makes it even more interesting. 

Thank you for the information regarding the dress code. It was one of my questions.

The other question is wine pairing. We have the premium package, but we would be much more interested in the wine pairing.

The price I saw for the chef’s table on our next cruise on Silhouette was $375 per person, (CDN dollar, I believe). My question is: Does that fee include the wine pairing or will I be billed for that option in addition to that cost?

Thank you for sharing your experience and expertise! 

I am curious I was just  looking at our summit cruise September 2022 and we were just thinking we wanted to book the chef‘s table with Chef Daniel Boulud but on the website it said it was $139 per person I’m curious why we cost so much more on the Silhouette. I know you were talking about Canadian dollars but it still seems like way too much??

• Haha 1

When I just booked it yesterday for out Reflection sailing it was $139 USD per person and I don't remember the exact verbiage, but after making the reservation it said wine pairing would be discussed with us onboard.  In the past when we considered booking it I think the fee was $189 and that included the wine pairing.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, bikerunner said:

Always have had great experiences with the Chefs Table.  Its a great meal and have met great people sharing the meal with.  It is well thought out.  My next cruise, hoping November but kind of pessimistic about that reality at this point, I will do it again but my travel partner is a vegetarian so will see what if they can accommodate this aspect of the food.  I hope so.  

Yes, they can and will,  prepare vegetarian meals...

I signed up for Chef's Table on The Edge and had to cancel due to a conflict, YET the Maitre 'd and Chef both assured me that they can accommodate, I Am so sorry to have missed it, to say the least..

bon appetit and bon voyage

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, sdnich said:

I am curious I was just  looking at our summit cruise September 2022 and we were just thinking we wanted to book the chef‘s table with Chef Daniel Boulud but on the website it said it was $139 per person I’m curious why we cost so much more on the Silhouette. I know you were talking about Canadian dollars but it still seems like way too much??

14 hours ago, garyl62 said:

When I just booked it yesterday for out Reflection sailing it was $139 USD per person and I don't remember the exact verbiage, but after making the reservation it said wine pairing would be discussed with us onboard.  In the past when we considered booking it I think the fee was $189 and that included the wine pairing.

Thank-you very much sdnich and garyl62, for your comments.

I had issues with the website yesterday....and possibly also with my eye sight...

Following your posts, I rechecked again on my cruise, and the price for the Chef’s table is now shown as $175.14 CDN. (Which seems to better match with your prices) and I also read the detailed information more carefully: the « Wine Pairing available for purchase on board ».

So I now have all the answers to my questions. 

Thank-you to all! 

• Like 1

Peanut Head--

We have done the Chef's Table on a number of Celebrity Cruises and they have all been fantastic.  It seems like that the arrangement has changed a bit since our last cruise (Dec. 2019 on the Edge for one of their two inaugural cruises).  It used to be that Chef's Table would not be announced until we would be on board and that a wine pairing would be included instead of seemingly now being an option.  All our dinners have always been a fantastic experience (with accommodation both for my seafood allergy and Michael's pescatarian needs).  The wine pairing had always been wonderful selections not otherwise available from drink and/or wine packages.   Also, there was one special dinner (weather permitting) that was served on the Magic Carpet hoisted at the highest point of the ship (not the usual Level 5).  It was all sold out by the time we wanted to book it (a few hours after we got on board on Day 1).  Enjoy your cruise and Chef's Table.   

--Terry

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, Terry.  I'll ask the on-shore concierge about the Magic Carpet dinner to see if we can reserve that before we board.  Do you have any other intel on that event--dress code (windmill style?🙃), type of food, etc?

7 hours ago, peanut head said:

Thanks for the info, Terry.  I'll ask the on-shore concierge about the Magic Carpet dinner to see if we can reserve that before we board.  Do you have any other intel on that event--dress code (windmill style?🙃), type of food, etc?

Sorry. I do not have any additional info on the Magic Carpet dinner. Let us know after you cruise if you get to do that dinner. I’d be very interested to learn more about it for our next opportunity to try it.

Until this thread, I did not know about the Chef's Table.  Even though we no longer take Celebrity's excursions, we made an exception for this tour.  While pricey, we enjoyed spending the day with the chef.  The day culminated in a dinner using foods and liquid refreshment that the chef had purchased that day.  Will definitely take this Celebrity tour again when offered.