Helicopter evacuation from cruise ship

I am looking into emergency medical evacuation coverage to bring me home, if needed, while on a cruise.  I am covered for medical insurance, just looking for evacuation.  I have had yearly coverage with Ripcord (Redpoint) which I cancelled last year because of Covid.  Now looking at different policies.  I notice they all state from hospital to hospital.  What if emergency helicopter evacuation is required from the cruise ship?  I have been on one cruise in the Black Sea that had a helicopter evacuation.  Do any emergency evacuation policies cover the cost from the ship to the hospital?  I read that there is an agreement in "international" waters that the country's coast guard or military will pick up a passenger at no cost.  Is this true?

16 hours ago, Teddy from MV said:

I read that there is an agreement in "international" waters that the country's coast guard or military will pick up a passenger at no cost.  Is this true?

In a nut shell,, Yes.

Evacuation is tricky and policy dependent

Straight from Steve's FAQ on TripInsuranceStore.com

Q. How do medical evacuation / transportation and repatriation differ?

A. Medical evacuation / transportation is defined as you being transported to the nearest appropriate medical facility as a result of the insurance company’s Consulting Physician and the local attending Physician’s determination that adequate treatment is not available locally. If you want your doctor consulted make sure you give his / her contact information to the insurance company.

The above is what your travel insurance will cover.

If you want a policy that will get you to the hospital of your choice (closer to home), then you're going to need a separate/additional policy. I have MedJetHorizon. As long as you are more than 150 miles from home, an IN Patient in a "hospital" (not just a clinic) and a couple of other gottchas,,, they will transport you to the hospital of your choice.