Carnival’s CEO states that they will not require vaccinations

Prismism

3 hours ago, ledges1 said:

I think Arnold Donald has more pressure on him than the CDC has to resume cruising. He has stockholders and a significant stockholder in Saudi Arabia that will expect a good return after making a significant investment.

The Saudis invested in Carnival Corp not Carnival Cruise Line and they want a ship or ships home ported in their country. I doubt that would be Carnival - more likely one or more of the other lines.

Several of Carnival Corp cruise lines are resuming cruising.

6 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Thanks.  Looks like your last article to read too...

I see what he's saying, but what if the ports visited require vaccinations?  Then will he change his tune, or only sail to ports that do not require it?

If ports require vaccines and you aren't vaccinated, you just don't get off the ship. I'm ok with there.

Pat

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

This weeks news a the vaccines will put the brake on the rush to vaccine and end the idea of the vaccine passports.

The risk of death from Covid is greater than from an unproven connection to a few deaths. The deaths may have happened anyway, but they will be thoroughly investigated. The two main vaccines are still full speed ahead.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, quickrate said:

If ports require vaccines and you aren't vaccinated, you just don't get off the ship. I'm ok with there.

Pat

I doubt it will work like that. I doubt they will let you on the ship in the first place. You will still be in the country whether or not you get off the ship.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

I doubt it will work like that. I doubt they will let you on the ship in the first place. You will still be in the country whether or not you get off the ship.

Right now, there are very few islands in the Carribean that require a person to be vaccinated to visit. Only a negative Covid test.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, quickrate said:

Right now, there are very few islands in the Carribean that require a person to be vaccinated to visit. Only a negative Covid test.

Exactly and they will of course go to those ports that allow their pax. Nice to see common sense here.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, quickrate said:

Right now that is true. But if anyone tests positive prior to visiting, they could refuse the whole ship. It has been done before with noro. One island is randomly testing visitors - the Dominican Republic is doing something really neat - I hope cruise lines adopt it for passengers embarking and returning to the ship at ports:

"In place of the test result is a rapid Breathalyzer-style test that will be performed on randomly selected travelers upon arrival. The test takes five minutes and detects if a traveler was exposed or infected within the last four hours. If positive, the traveler quarantines in a designated area within his hotel and is regularly tested until symptoms are gone.

Can you imagine what would happen if an infected person got off of a cruise ship, mingled with locals and passengers from another ship or two, infecting all.

8 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Exactly and they will of course go to those ports that allow their pax. Nice to see common sense here.

Any port can only handle so many ships and passengers - likely to be less than if there was no pandemic. Instead of 3 or 4 ports on a 7 day cruise, there might only be 1 or 2.

Please understand I am not against the vaccine or for it. But, you do realize even with the vaccine, you can still catch covid , so anyone could be that passenger in your scenario. Get a vaccine and you still need to wear a mask, social distance, and carrier.

Pat

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The risk of death from Covid is greater than from an unproven connection to a few deaths. The deaths may have happened anyway, but they will be thoroughly investigated. The two main vaccines are still full speed ahead.

We will see but several people I know cancelled their vaccine appointments today. I am fully vaccinated and cetainly recommend high risk individual get vaccinated. 

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

43 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The Saudis invested in Carnival Corp not Carnival Cruise Line and they want a ship or ships home ported in their country. I doubt that would be Carnival - more likely one or more of the other lines.

Several of Carnival Corp cruise lines are resuming cruising.

The Saudi's purchased 43.5 million shares of CCL. The stock now pays no dividend. We all want a return on our investment. All ships under the Carnival umbrella will need to sail and generate positive net revenue.

58 minutes ago, quickrate said:

Please understand I am not against the vaccine or for it. But, you do realize even with the vaccine, you can still catch covid , so anyone could be that passenger in your scenario. Get a vaccine and you still need to wear a mask, social distance, and carrier.

Pat

There are no guarantees - the next time you fly, the plane could crash and sometimes they do, but they try their best to mitigate the risks. I prefer if they try to mitigate all of the risks and not just some.

The more precautions you take, the better your odds of not catching or passing on.

Yes, you could still get Covid if vaccinated, but your odds of catching go way down.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I think most severe medical cases on cruise ships are not contagious. I think any positive covid test could mean the end of the cruise. They can't afford a major outbreak.

The Virgin Islands is trying to become a vaccination destination, as in come here to be vaccinated. They seem to have extra at the moment.

The days could have be long gone if more people had followed simple instructions.

It's a virus. All of the lockdowns in this country didn't stop it. Since the virus can go right through a mask, that really gave people a very false sense of security. Anyway,  a contagious virus isn't a big deal if people on the ship are vaccinated. The flu is contagious and can kill people, yet life goes on if someone gets the flu on a cruise ship.  People who are vaccinated have protection from getting seriously ill, so it's a different scenario now than it was in April 2020. 

I never could understand how people thought the virus could be stopped by people following simple instructions.  Look at California.  They locked things down like Fort Knox and made people afraid to check their mail. I have a relative who visited me from CA and she thought I should wash my clothes after going to the store. Anyway, it's a virus that should  run its course. People should have the option of sheltering in place, getting a vaccine, or taking the risk. 

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, ledges1 said:

The Saudi's purchased 43.5 million shares of CCL. The stock now pays no dividend. We all want a return on our investment. All ships under the Carnival umbrella will need to sail and generate positive net revenue.

I believe their avg cost was under $10/share - maybe $9.15, I don't think they are complaining.

5 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

USVI or BVI?

Not that it matters, I suppose - what will matter is what the islands/countries decide when the timeframe for opening up to cruising is nigh.  Obviously, in Oct 2020 no-one had decided that vaccinations were going to be required - they didn't exist as a public health system (though they were in development, and it was surely discussed).  By July 2021, those nations/islands might decide proof of vaccination is the easiest and safest way to decide who can visit.

USVI.  She stayed a month and hopes to move there some day.  I think it was St Croix. She said that the vaccines were available for all adults out there.

2 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

It's a virus. All of the lockdowns in this country didn't stop it. Since the virus can go right through a mask, that really gave people a very false sense of security. Anyway,  a contagious virus isn't a big deal if people on the ship are vaccinated. The flu is contagious and can kill people, yet life goes on if someone gets the flu on a cruise ship.  People who are vaccinated have protection from getting seriously ill, so it's a different scenario now than it was in April 2020. 

None of the lockdowns were taken seriously by everyone which helped defeat the purpose. Masks are useful - we've already been around that bend in the river numerous times. If Americans would have followed a few simple instructions, we would be cruising now instead of whining about covid burnout.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, quickrate said:

Pat

It does not work that way, or at least has not in the past. When Brazil required visas from US citizens, those without the required visa were not allowed to board ships.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TNcruising02 said:

USVI.  She stayed a month and hopes to move there some day.  I think it was St Croix. She said that the vaccines were available for all adults out there.

USVI does have an excess of vaccines and is even offering them to tourists as an incentive to fly down, get vaccinated, stay a month for the second shot, or fly back in a month. A win-win.

• Like 1

Just now, BlerkOne said:

None of the lockdowns were taken seriously by everyone which helped defeat the purpose. Masks are useful - we've already been around that bend in the river numerous times. If Americans would have followed a few simple instructions, we would be cruising now instead of whining about covid burnout.

Since the virus is all over the world, simple instructions could not have stopped it.  As long as travel was permitted, lockdowns were useless. You can't eliminate a virus when people are spreading it by traveling. 

I have been fully vaccinated, gave up my freedom for a year, and expect to have my life back now.  Enough of the restrictions. Covid may never go away.  What then?  Shelter in place?  Ruin all of the small businesses? Pay people to stay home?  I'm tired of it and think it's ridiculous that cruises can't begin with precautions.

• Like 8

Just now, ontheweb said:

It does not work that way, or at least has not in the past. When Brazil required visas from US citizens, those without the required visa were not allowed to board ships.

Yep, including some of the crew.

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

USVI does have an excess of vaccines and is even offering them to tourists as an incentive to fly down, get vaccinated, stay a month for the second shot, or fly back in a month. A win-win.

But I guess you have to fly down there on an airline that does not require you to be already vaccinated.

Also, since they are trying to entice unvaccinated tourists to come, are they requiring any tests to make sure they do not have Covid.

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Yes, my sister stayed a month and had the opportunity to get the vaccine. She opted to wait until she got home and recently got the first Pfizer dose. But I thought it was great that she had the option to get it on the island.

8 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

I agree with him that it should not be required. However as an example, if CCL can begin cruises July 4 from the US with vaccinated crew and passengers vs Nov 1 without it, they will change their tune quickly. 

Having non-vaccinated people on a cruise puts other passengers, vaccinated or not, at risk of a quarantine situation should an outbreak occur. Nobody wants to be quarantined.

Plus, can you imagine what a disaster it would be for the cruise industry if they started having outbreaks again? Things would get shut down again. They literally can't afford to get this wrong.

• Like 5

Just now, TNcruising02 said:

Since the virus is all over the world, simple instructions could not have stopped it.  As long as travel was permitted, lockdowns were useless. You can't eliminate a virus when people are spreading it by traveling. 

I have been fully vaccinated, gave up my freedom for a year, and expect to have my life back now.  Enough of the restrictions. Covid may never go away.  What then?  Shelter in place?  Ruin all of the small businesses? Pay people to stay home?  I'm tired of it and think it's ridiculous that cruises can't begin with precautions.

A number of countries have little to no covid cases these days. New Zealand has averaged under 10 cases a day for months. They know better than to let Americans in.

American Samoa had 4 (four) cases total of which 3 recovered and 1 apparently has not died.

It is possible by following simple instructions including testing and quarantining.

Pogo had it right.

51JxDTVIwdL.jpg

• Like 2