When, where and on what ship is your next South Pacific cruise?

Petoonya

On 6/29/2021 at 1:20 AM, Fletcher said:

Silversea has cancelled all its Pacific sailings on the Explorer.  No big surprise and it was looking almost impossible for us, as UK residents, to join the ship in Papeete anyway and, if we did, return home from Santiago.  Part of us is disappointed, another part of us is saying, what a blessed relief.

Was that for sometime soon?  Glad that they cancelled and not you, so you should get a full refund. Nicole

• 3 months later...

We’ve just booked a 17 day cruise on Star Breeze on 22nd November 2021!! Might be a bit mad but we’re desperate to go to FP since we had to cancel a fabulous trip there in April last year. This one is still dependent on US allowing us to transit from UK and that’s supposed to happen in early November so we’re holding off booking anything more than the cruise until we know for sure it can go ahead. So likely to be a last minute panic to book flights from US and non-cruise-ship tours.

I’m getting great ideas on this thread but does anyone know if it’s possible for us to book tours where my husband can dive and I can snorkel? I used to dive but never really lost my fear so now he has to dive without me and I love to snorkel but we don’t really want to spend all our time doing separate things.

We’re going to Fakarava, Rangiroa, Bora Bora, Taha’a, Moorea, Raiatea, Huahine and Papeete.(not in that order!). If he only dives in some of them, which are the best?

Our greatest love is the sea but is there anything else we should see or do whilst in FP? I just want to be ready so that, as soon as the US give a definite date, we can confirm and go mad on the planning!!

13 hours ago, Mocamps said:

We’ve just booked a 17 day cruise on Star Breeze on 22nd November 2021!! Might be a bit mad but we’re desperate to go to FP since we had to cancel a fabulous trip there in April last year. This one is still dependent on US allowing us to transit from UK and that’s supposed to happen in early November so we’re holding off booking anything more than the cruise until we know for sure it can go ahead. So likely to be a last minute panic to book flights from US and non-cruise-ship tours.

I’m getting great ideas on this thread but does anyone know if it’s possible for us to book tours where my husband can dive and I can snorkel? I used to dive but never really lost my fear so now he has to dive without me and I love to snorkel but we don’t really want to spend all our time doing separate things.

We’re going to Fakarava, Rangiroa, Bora Bora, Taha’a, Moorea, Raiatea, Huahine and Papeete.(not in that order!). If he only dives in some of them, which are the best?

Our greatest love is the sea but is there anything else we should see or do whilst in FP? I just want to be ready so that, as soon as the US give a definite date, we can confirm and go mad on the planning!!

I'm not sure about SCUBA and Snorkel on the same outing. I know 6 PASSENGERS on Rangiroa operates both snorkel and SCUBA outings; but, separately.  If you look at the Roll Call for your trip you may find some suggested excursions.  If not take a look at the Roll Call for Oceania's Regatta on 25 March 2022 (I'm not pushing O just this roll call has an enormous amount of info about DIY Tours in FP) and you'll find a table with a bunch of DIY Excursions being planned by various members.  

Regarding places to Dive.  Bora Bora has a plethora of shallow water in lagoon and deeper water options.  If your timing at Rangi is right a Pass Dive can be a real thrill.  There are times of the year when sharks come and hang out just off Tiputa Pass at ebb tide and feed on the outflow of the world's 2nd largest lagoon.  Since you're a snorkeler, I'd recommend Ato Lissant at Fakarava for a great "Blue Lagoon" snorkel outing. If you get a chance the drift snorkel in Taha'a is great but not for beginners, the slot is pretty narrow in spots.   I have no diving experience at other locations and while snorkeling in always a good thing, there are other things to do in Moorea, Raiatea, and Huahine (while you haven't mentioned sailing I'd recommend that here as something different and a great way to spend the day).  I have not heard any great snorkeling reviews on Tahiti but I'm guessing that's more my ignorance than a statement of fact.

Since you're already on your roll call and no one has (as yet) recommended anything I'd recommend taking a look at another FP roll call at least for vendor POC.  Alternatively the Trip Advisor recommends providers on most of the Islands.

Cheers,

Greg

Rangiroa, The Six Passengers does diving and snorkeling. Same with O2Fakarava.  Those two are not to be missed diving venues especially. For snorkeling, H2O Bora Bora is the finest and #1 on TripAdvisor. I like Moorea Moana- the usual reef sharks, but lemon, hammerhead and nurse too. The best trip to Coral Gardens is Windstar’s from Motu Mahaea but it fills up extremely fast so if not booked yet, do it! It’s refundable if need be. If you’re looking for a place to jet ski, Raiatea Jet is terrific. All around Tahaa and dolphins practically kiss your ride. Tell them you don’t want to do pearl and vanilla farms unless you do!

I did Wind Spirit 17 days 2 years ago and what a cruise. You’re in for a thrill! 

Thank you both. Great info!! 

I'm heavily into planning but still need US to open up and in today's news they were saying it might be later than we're hoping! It HAS to be early November for us to be able to go ahead!! I will be SO disappointed if we have to change all this yet again. But so difficult not to get excited in the hope it can happen.

On 10/7/2021 at 7:23 PM, Mocamps said:

. This one is still dependent on US allowing us to transit from UK and that’s supposed to happen in early November so we’re holding off booking anything more than the cruise until we know for sure it can go ahead. So likely to be a last minute panic to book flights from US and non-cruise-ship tours.

Is the Paris Air Tahiti Nui flight not an option for you? They fly CDG-YVR (Vancouver Canada)-PPT.

Air Tahiti Nui normally transits via LAX, but has been using YVR, since the US stopped allowing EU visitors.

I'm afraid that it isn't a possibility as it would add too much to the cost of our holiday. 

My husband is retired airline staff and he can get discounted flights but only via the US......and we get nice seats on them!!  We then need to book full price from US to Tahiti but it still works out a LOT cheaper and more comfortable - at least for the first leg!!

So we'd rather wait - though hope we don't have to wait too long!!

2 hours ago, Mocamps said:

I'm afraid that it isn't a possibility as it would add too much to the cost of our holiday. 

My husband is retired airline staff and he can get discounted flights but only via the US......and we get nice seats on them!!  We then need to book full price from US to Tahiti but it still works out a LOT cheaper and more comfortable - at least for the first leg!!

So we'd rather wait - though hope we don't have to wait too long!!

Retired staff pricing looks like a great deal, especially if you can get premium economy or business. 

You probably already know, but your five choices for USA to PPT flights are:

1) United from SFO - Consistently the lowest price (except for Frenchbee), especially if buying a one-way fare. They have the advantage of running daytime flights from SFO to PPT. Almost everyone else runs red-eyes

2) Air Tahiti Nui from LAX - Flag carrier of French Polynesia. Their standard prices are high, but they run good sales on return trips. Their prices on one-ways are exorbitant.

3) Hawaiian from HNL - The have once a week flights from Honolulu. Good option if you want to go via Hawaii.

4) Air France from LAX - This is a continuation of their CDG-LAX-PPT flights. I don't think this option will be available until November or later.

5) Frenchbee from LAX - This is a French discount carrier. They have some of the lowest prices. This is a continuation of their CDG-LAX-PPT flights. I don't think this option will be available until November or later. They really cram a lot of seats into this airplane - so only fly them if you are short and skinny.

Edited by Mercruiser
  • Like 1

@gdlamberth

You mentioned that you hadn't seen any good reviews of snorkeling outfits on the island of Tahiti, but I've got a great one. 2-4 passengers, a huge variety of tours/sites to choose from. He's pricey but I've always been able to negotiate a decent price. Check out Tahiti Lagoon Paradise on TA 🙂 We're going to do the Shipwrecks and Turtles snorkel next summer.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Petoonya said:

@gdlamberth

You mentioned that you hadn't seen any good reviews of snorkeling outfits on the island of Tahiti, but I've got a great one. 2-4 passengers, a huge variety of tours/sites to choose from. He's pricey but I've always been able to negotiate a decent price. Check out Tahiti Lagoon Paradise on TA 🙂 We're going to do the Shipwrecks and Turtles snorkel next summer.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I checked web site and TA, looked pretty good.  I forwarded to our kids who are spending a couple of days on Tahiti pre-cruise.

@Mocamps

Wow- when I heard it thought of you immediately. Congratulations! Now the whirlwind starts to get your excursions lined up. If you need snorkeling suggestions, ask. Also have said this before but we did the 18 day in November of 2019 and the weather was glorious. One rainy day and the rest was ideal. It is the hottest time of the year, but being from a cool climate, who notices?

Very happy for you and can't wait for a review of that beautiful all new ship. Hope you were able to get a stateroom in the new extended part of the ship.

Yes, we have a stateroom in the new part! .........though am not too sure I like the layout of the bed by the window. I guess it will be nice when we wake up but generally I think it works better if the bed is near the bathroom and the sitting area is near the window but who knows?

I'm having a bit of trouble working out the logistics of getting our Covid tests done in the timescale. We plan to fly to America a few days before our flight to FP so that we have some time to adjust to the time difference. We'll be flying into Los Angeles and leaving from San Francisco so we're going to have a car for a few days and drive between the two. We've done this before so know it works well (although car rental and accommodation in US seems to have skyrocketed in price since our last trip!!) But we need to figure out how to get the Covid test within the right timescales for FP. There are places at the airport in San Francisco (and we're staying at an airport hotel for the night before the flight) but I'm guessing that we may need to get the results before that? In the UK results can take up to 24 hours for PCR tests. Does anyone know if that is the same in US? And can anyone recommend any places for testing?

@Mocamps

You may have seen my post on the WS board. Have a contact who will be returning to the US from Wind Spirit late this week. It must have you a bit frantic trying to figure all this out. I don't know what the US requires but know that the Tahiti board on TA has great up to the minute answers on Tahiti travel and where to get PCR COVID testing close to SFO. Although even though the cost is probably much higher I'd just have it done in the airport, as it's easy albeit expensive. Check with UA if a consideration. The other thing you might consider is checking prices for car rentals on Costco.uk if you have a membership- best prices anywhere and currently fluctuating 100-200 US on the weekly rate. And it changes from day to day. So check daily. MIght be less costly to scope out a few places you'd like to visit that have walking touring and you can Uber to. SF driving is a nightmare.

11 hours ago, Petoonya said:

@Mocamps

You may have seen my post on the WS board. Have a contact who will be returning to the US from Wind Spirit late this week. It must have you a bit frantic trying to figure all this out. I don't know what the US requires but know that the Tahiti board on TA has great up to the minute answers on Tahiti travel and where to get PCR COVID testing close to SFO. Although even though the cost is probably much higher I'd just have it done in the airport, as it's easy albeit expensive. Check with UA if a consideration. The other thing you might consider is checking prices for car rentals on Costco.uk if you have a membership- best prices anywhere and currently fluctuating 100-200 US on the weekly rate. And it changes from day to day. So check daily. MIght be less costly to scope out a few places you'd like to visit that have walking touring and you can Uber to. SF driving is a nightmare.

Thank you for the very helpful information directing us to the Trip Advisor board. My cruise isn't until March and no one knows what requirements will be in place then but I'm already trying to figure this all out.  We are flying United and I have read that FP does not accept the rapid PCR test so SFO is not a viable option for us.  If the same requirements are in place in March we'll probably go to our local pharmacy and hope we get the results in less than 72 hours. 

On 5/3/2021 at 5:04 PM, canadianbear said:

I have kept that in mind, thank you!   We have so many islands to visit I’m trying to figure out the best ones to book snorkeling.  

image.jpeg

BoraBora Moorea, Raiatea are the best for snorkeling. You can take an excursion from Raiatea to drift snorkel and aquarium near Taha. Moorea is a great island to rent a car. Public beach beside the Sofitel Resort. You can walk on to resort property for food and drinks.

23 hours ago, PGCruiser2 said:

BoraBora Moorea, Raiatea are the best for snorkeling. You can take an excursion from Raiatea to drift snorkel and aquarium near Taha. Moorea is a great island to rent a car. Public beach beside the Sofitel Resort. You can walk on to resort property for food and drinks.

We’ve booked “Patrick’s” full day snorkel/lunch in Bora Bora (if ships are allowed) and in Moorea Mermaid private tour (just 4 of us).  Haven’t booked anything yet for Raiatea. 

The cruise isn’t until next October so not booking anything more yet.  Thank you for your input. Everything helps since this will be our first time there. 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 9:44 AM, canadianbear said:

We’ve booked “Patrick’s” full day snorkel/lunch in Bora Bora (if ships are allowed) and in Moorea Mermaid private tour (just 4 of us).  Haven’t booked anything yet for Raiatea. 

The cruise isn’t until next October so not booking anything more yet.  Thank you for your input. Everything helps since this will be our first time there. 

Sounds like you have a good start. Both of the excursions you are taking have great reviews. Also when you go to Papeete it is a five minute walk to an amazing market. I am sure they will have a shuttle from the ship. There are also food trucks on the dock and they have dancing and entertainment when in port. We were there on a Saturday, so not sure if it was all week, but probably.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PGCruiser2 said:

Sounds like you have a good start. Both of the excursions you are taking have great reviews. Also when you go to Papeete it is a five minute walk to an amazing market. I am sure they will have a shuttle from the ship. There are also food trucks on the dock and they have dancing and entertainment when in port. We were there on a Saturday, so not sure if it was all week, but probably.

@Petoonya

@Tahitianbigkahuna
These two have been a huge help with their input and it is so appreciated.  

@PGCruiser2 thank you also for your input.  That sounds like fun in Papeete.  I’ve made a lot of notes about the other ports too and will decide probably not until final payment for the cruise what we want to book or just relax for ports we can walk around or go to a beach. 

• Like 2

My wife and I think Patrick's 3/4 day tour is the best excursion we've ever taken off a cruise ship, period, we love it so much, we've taken it three time in the last decade

First, he has terrific guides, especially when he or his daughter are the guides, we prefer Polynesian guides over French guides, it's just a cultural preference on our part, and Patrick and his family have terrific terrific stories if you take the time to get to know them 

However, Patrick's co is notorious very slow to get back to you, unlike say H20, Bruno, and or others, alot of folks who work for Patrick do so mobiley from LA or Las Vegas, so you have to be um patient, but it's a magical tour co, and by the way all the other tours Patrick offer, including the 4x4, are also homreruns

Our next FP cruise is in 3 days on the Breeze, first time on that ship after previous sailing's on the PG and the Star/Surf

jc 

2 hours ago, Wilcoam said:

My wife and I think Patrick's 3/4 day tour is the best excursion we've ever taken off a cruise ship, period, we love it so much, we've taken it three time in the last decade

First, he has terrific guides, especially when he or his daughter are the guides, we prefer Polynesian guides over French guides, it's just a cultural preference on our part, and Patrick and his family have terrific terrific stories if you take the time to get to know them 

However, Patrick's co is notorious very slow to get back to you, unlike say H20, Bruno, and or others, alot of folks who work for Patrick do so mobiley from LA or Las Vegas, so you have to be um patient, but it's a magical tour co, and by the way all the other tours Patrick offer, including the 4x4, are also homreruns

Our next FP cruise is in 3 days on the Breeze, first time on that ship after previous sailing's on the PG and the Star/Surf

jc 

I have 24 from our roll call booked and am now thinking our ship won’t be allowed in Bora Bora.  That will be very disappointing to all.

Another member on the roll call booked the next day the 4x4 snorkel excursion since we overnight there. Again, all will be disappointed as there are such great reviews.  

I’ve been communicating with his daughter.  It did take awhile to get a reply the first time but she’s been great after that.   

• Like 1

@Wilcoam

Hi there, and bon voyage! Hope that your trip on Breeze is as wonderful as we all expect it to be. Know that you are very busy and might not see this but can't wait to read your review on your return 🙂

We too have been to Tahiti 6 times and I understand your delight with Patrick's Maohi Nui. One only needs to read the TA reviews to see how much people love it. We did it once however, and didn't like the "authentic-Tahiti-ness". It seemed a little hokey but that's just one person's opinion. I know a few who found it the same but overwhelmingly the reception is excellent. We are avid snorkelers and prefer to spend our time consistently in the water looking for rays, fish and whales. You do get some of that on Patrick's but not as much as with snorkeling focused tours. But again when you find a tour that you love, it has to be repeated. We love H2O Bora Bora and Tohora Bora Bora but again different specialty

WOW! You're leaving. You will be on my mind!.

• 2 weeks later...

Having just come off the WS Breeze, it's hand down our fave small cruise ship we've ever been on, can;'t say enough about the staff, incredible service, way above average food, cabins, french 'balconies', and the sports deck, it sparkles

Love love the WS product, 100% lux, but still oh so casual, though it's missing the local Tahitian feel of the PG, it makes up for it in so many other ways

I think WS in the future may have a tough time selling the Surf and other older ships when all the great reviews start coming in on the refurbished sparkling Breeze, no offense to PG homers, it's also a great product, but in my mind the modern Breeze is the way to go now in French Polynesia, cruise wise

jc  

• Like 1