When, where and on what ship is your next South Pacific cruise?

Petoonya

@Wilcoam

Oh man, can't tell you how happy I am to hear this. WS hasn't lost it's touch. So many poeple were reluctant to book Star Breeze FP, not knowing quite how it would be. I saw WS discounted the 17 day Breeze 11/22 to $2399 just to full the ship. And here ya go, as you say the cruise was amazing.

Do you think you could write a short blurb about it on the WS board? i'm not allowed to copy but maybe you can? So many people waiting feverisly to see how it would go. Thanks so much for giving us the benefit of your experience.

• 2 weeks later...

4 cruises to FP over the next 12 months  .... I'm getting spoiled. Excited about trying a few other cruise lines in the islands. Hopefully today I'll have a contract with another ship that cruises FP. Will be nice to have 1st hand experiences so I can be very objective when people ask about the differences between ships.

Back to packing 🙂

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A trip to a tropical Pacific island sure sounds good right now 🌴 🏖️

IMG_20220106_110221042_HDR_copy_1920x1044.thumb.jpg.c5c84895653fad93d1480ef39a8e4dc7.jpg

We have over a foot of snow in Spokane. 

The entire Western USA has been in extreme drought, so we really need the snow pack. But, I am getting tired of shovelling the driveway. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mercruiser said:

A trip to a tropical Pacific island sure sounds good right now 🌴 🏖️

IMG_20220106_110221042_HDR_copy_1920x1044.thumb.jpg.c5c84895653fad93d1480ef39a8e4dc7.jpg

We have over a foot of snow in Spokane. 

The entire Western USA has been in extreme drought, so we really need the snow pack. But, I am getting tired of shovelling the driveway. 

Is that your outhouse to the left 🙂  

Hubby & I leave for Tahiti two weeks from today!  Papeete for two nights, Bora Bora for five nights and then back to Papeete to board the Paul Gauguin for 7 nights.  Took a while, but secured covid tests with a doctor in Bora Bora so we can board PG cruise.  I am so ready to get to warmer weather.  It is raining in the foothills of California Sierra Nevada as I write this.  First time on a PG cruise and the islands other than Tahiti.

18 minutes ago, goldiemom said:

Hubby & I leave for Tahiti two weeks from today!  Papeete for two nights, Bora Bora for five nights and then back to Papeete to board the Paul Gauguin for 7 nights.  Took a while, but secured covid tests with a doctor in Bora Bora so we can board PG cruise.  I am so ready to get to warmer weather.  It is raining in the foothills of California Sierra Nevada as I write this.  First time on a PG cruise and the islands other than Tahiti.

Dr. Azad?

Remember they don't guarantee results before 72 hours. If you take the PCR early in the morning the sample will likely get to the lab back in PPT the same day  .... in that care you may get the results back in time 😉

23 hours ago, goldiemom said:

Yes, Dr. Azad.  He told us when to come take the test for timely results.

Just stating what he says in an email  .... "results within 72 hours". Will you get it before than? Maybe but I'm not the gambling type ... I'd fly back to PPT a day early and take the PCR at the airport. 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 9:12 AM, goldiemom said:

You will love you're PG Cruise. Best time of our lives. Their private Island and beach Barbeque is the best. There is attention to every detail on the ship. Take the Waverunner around Bora Bora if you can. Unfogrettable. Enjoy

• 5 months later...
On 5/4/2021 at 10:12 AM, Petoonya said:

@canadianbear

Three recommendations in FP?

Fakarava- spend the day with Ato- fabulous. Great snorkeling and delicious fish lunch. You'd need to find at least 3 more couples to confirm. fakaravaexplorer@hotmail.com

Raiatea-  amazing snorkeling around the sister island of Tahaa- the Coral Gardens which is a must- it's like an IMAX of fish. Bruno  and Le Excursion Bleue. https://www.tahaa.net/en/home/ Or

if you like jetskiing this is the place to do it. You'll do everything Bruno does in a day and more. Tons of dolphins.https://www.raiateajet.com/copie-de-qui-sommes-nous

Rangiroa- again you won't see more fish than in the Aquarium. Easy snorkeling for tons of fish. And a fun drift snorkel in the Avatoru Pass. You need to have at least some experience snorkeling though, and that part of the trip depends on the tides. https://www.the6passengers.com/en/

@Petoonya  You are a wealth of information.  Was also looking for the best place to jet ski.  So you're Raiatea recommendation is just what I was looking for.  Question:  Do you remember how rough the jet ski ride was?  I jet skiied in my younger adult years -- but hubby hasn't.  I was used to Colorado River or open ocean (live in San Diego) jet skiing.  Hubby has never been; I'm not sure how rough a ride would be on the Lagoon - hoping smoother than open ocean.

Thanks for any input.

By the Way very familiar with Seal Rock.  When we used to Motorhome fulltime - we would often stay at the Marina RV Park in Waldport.  We also stayed at the Seal Rock RV park before it took in so many permanent Park Models.  Love the Oregon coast.  We also rented a furnished home for a year (the furthest Northern point along Shoreline Drive in Florence.Heceta Beach) we were last home on beach before the long stretch of unoccupied beach looking towards the lighthouse.  For USA Coasts - there is NOTHING like the Oregon coastline!

On 5/5/2021 at 7:51 AM, canadianbear said:

@Tahitianbigkahuna

Thank you so much for the ideas and photos.  Appreciate your answers.  Renting a car sounds like a very good idea depending on if I can contact Charlotte to see what her rate is.  

@canadianbear.  Last time we were in Rarotonga (around end of Dec 2019 on a Holland America Tales of the Pacific Cruise) there was a local Public Transit Bus stop right at the Tender Pier.  It was quite efficient.  Most independent snorkelers were taking this bus (we did also but not for snorkeling as it was a rainy day)  - Perhaps check to see if it stops at the locations you want to snorkel at.  The bus driver was VERY accommodating.  Cruise Passengers were asking to be dropped off at locations the bus normally did not stop at.  You might search the internet for their Local Bus route - see if that would work for you.  Local bus ran pretty frequently - so it may be a easier way to go than renting a car.  Also I believe this is one of those Ports that sometimes due to bad weather a cruise ship sometimes has to bypass - it was touch & go for us.  Only on the day before the Port did we know if Cruise Ship was going to make it.  So another reason for looking into the Transit Bus vs a Rental Car.

• Thanks 1

On 5/6/2021 at 10:47 AM, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

I know I'm going to open up a can of worms here but after 3 decades of trips to FP, mostly every year I've come to the realization that some ships are just to big to visit some of the outer islands of French Polynesia. I know the mayor of Bora Bora wants to limit ships to no more than 1,000 people on-board. A few other islands are considering the same ..

Personally I think it's overdue. Many islands have fewer inhabitants than the amount of people on some ships that visit. These type of islands don't have the infrastructure to handle big ships and frankly it isn't far to the passengers on-board as many will not be able to secure an excursion due to the lack of infrastructure..

The covid issue might delay some islands from regulating the ship size but my guess it will eventually happen  as islanders are concerned about the eco harm the large ships create. 

OK  ... bring the heat 

I agree with you BigKahuna - too many ships & too many passengers (besides infrastructure not being able to support) is ruining the snorkel conditions and coral.  When we first visited the islands there were NO Hotels on the outer Islets of BoraBora.  One could snorkel off the Public Beach near InterContinental and see lots of fish.

In Moorea @ Sofitel (1995 before they remodeled hotel) - there was still lots of live & active Coral close to the shoreline.  When last there in 2019 one had to rent a motorized assist to get you out near the Reef to find active coral.  They say that all the chemicals in the non-ecological friendly sunscreens people use is damaging the coral beds.

My love for FP --- I would want anything to protect it.

On 5/7/2021 at 8:50 AM, Petoonya said:

it still dumps 650 passengers on the islands and atolls,  much more than WS or PG. I've done Regatta Tahiti several times. In places like Rangiroa I've heard mixed reactions from tour providers- love it because of the business it brings them, hate it because their pristine paradise is suddenly invaded by a large group. It's a good compromise between the 1500 passengers HA brings in and the small cruise lines like WS, but it's still a goodly amount of cruisers. I'm a bit guilty too- have a Wind Spirit and Regatta planned.

@petoonya  I first visited the FP when Wind Song was still sailing.  (Wind Song Has burnt since).  It was a magical time back them - no cars on Moorea yet just scooters.  My thought - if they can keep just the smaller ships & then those no larger than the 650 passenger cruise ships - the islands may have best of both worlds.  The islanders have had an improved level of lifestyle since larger ships & more tourists have come to the islands.  We see the difference....esp in Moorea.  But it has been at some cost to them & the beautiful islands they inhabit.

We've found we have to go to islands such as Maupiti (30 min ferry ride from Bora Bora) to get the pristine waters, coral & fish..  (Love staying on the Auria Motu that faces the lagoon - you can walk across lagoon to main island at low tide) but it's VERY primitive.,,not for most people's tastes.  

I guess bottom-line in what I'm trying to say but got side-tracked with memories.......

Don't feel guilty about the 650#.  Wear your ecological sunscreen & get the work out to passengers on your Cruise Critic Roll Call about the sunscreen.  I wished the cruise ships would do a better job of informing passengers BEFORE cruise about sunscreen 

Okay --- stepping off the Soap Box

@CruisingGrandmaW

Hi! Have read your posts and we have traveled some of the same paths!  It's rare to find someone who knows Seal Rock, although anyone who's traveled up Pacific Coast Hwy through Oregon speeds right past our driveway. It's lovely- we bought an acre in 1987 right on the beach back when oceanfront was affordable (we're sSoCal people) and built our home in 1998 when last son left for UCLA. It's a paradise.

I'm in agreement about the big ships but if I couldn't do Wind Spirit because of finances I'd be hard pressed not to sign on to one of the larger ones- just to be able to experience at some level.

Interesting about Wind Song! We did a double 7 day in 1991 and it was heartbreaking when she caught fire and was finally sunk. Traveling on the ferry between Papeete and Moorea I always send her my pieces of my heart down below.

But agree! Huge sentiments for and with FP and would love to protect. We are booked in 37 more days for an 18 day on Wind Spirit. It was the last cruise we took before COVID and now the first after.

Very best to you!

On 10/13/2021 at 3:14 PM, Petoonya said:

@gdlamberth

You mentioned that you hadn't seen any good reviews of snorkeling outfits on the island of Tahiti, but I've got a great one. 2-4 passengers, a huge variety of tours/sites to choose from. He's pricey but I've always been able to negotiate a decent price. Check out Tahiti Lagoon Paradise on TA 🙂 We're going to do the Shipwrecks and Turtles snorkel next summer.

Sorry for my ignorance - you say "always been able to negotiate a decent price" ... so, is that common practice that you negotiate prices for tours and the price shown is not the price (I am not a negotiator LOL) 

Thank you  

On 6/25/2022 at 4:56 PM, CruisingGrandmaW said:

@canadianbear.  Last time we were in Rarotonga (around end of Dec 2019 on a Holland America Tales of the Pacific Cruise) there was a local Public Transit Bus stop right at the Tender Pier.  It was quite efficient.  Most independent snorkelers were taking this bus (we did also but not for snorkeling as it was a rainy day)  - Perhaps check to see if it stops at the locations you want to snorkel at.  The bus driver was VERY accommodating.  Cruise Passengers were asking to be dropped off at locations the bus normally did not stop at.  You might search the internet for their Local Bus route - see if that would work for you.  Local bus ran pretty frequently - so it may be an easier way to go than renting a car.  Also I believe this is one of those Ports that sometimes due to bad weather a cruise ship sometimes has to bypass - it was touch & go for us.  Only on the day before the Port did we know if Cruise Ship was going to make it.  So another reason for looking into the Transit Bus vs a Rental Car.

Sorry for this late thank you for the info post, been busy with the little grandkids etc.  Appreciate your info.  We had to cancel the 50 day cruise that stopped in the South Pacific this year but hope to be able to go on one in 2024.  

Thank you again for this info! 

We are booked on Scenic Eclipse 2 in March 2024. First time visitors , Tahiti to Fiji.  

Now I have a question for the clearly well seasoned visitors to the South Pacific.  Scenic Eclipse 2 has 2 helicopters and a submarine on board for use by guests. The question is which island(s) are the best to view from above and below?

image.jpeg

On 12/7/2022 at 7:30 AM, Piaa said:

Sorry for my ignorance - you say "always been able to negotiate a decent price" ... so, is that common practice that you negotiate prices for tours and the price shown is not the price (I am not a negotiator LOL) 

Thank you  

Oh no, not at all. The price is the price for tours in Tahiti as most places. But Captain Benoit and his Tahiti Lagoon Paradise seemed to be a little more "flexible". Prices on his website seem quite high by comparison to other tours say in Bora Bora or Moorea, but for whatever reason we've been able to negotiate a price that's within our budget. With him if the price seems a little too high, I'd ask "can you do it for ----? , and he's been amenable. Whatever the price it's worth it hands down- his tours are wonderful, and the price is for 2-4 people.