American duchess Veranda Suites 340, 341, 342, 343

Glitchlo

I cannot help specifically but since no one has answered you yet, I will chime in.  On the American Queen we once met a couple who had one of the "paddlewheel cabins" on the back of the boat and asked to be changed due to the noise.  Now, I think the Duchess' paddlewheel is not the same as on the AQ and it may not be as noisy.

On 4/14/2021 at 1:27 PM, Glitchlo said:

Has anyone stayed in these suites on the back of the Duchess. we would need the Accessible suite 340 or 341 but interested in noise issue from wheel or anything else.

Is the paddle wheel fixed on the Duchess? We were supposed to sail on the Duchess in one of those cabins back in March of last year. Our cruise was the first cruise American Queen Steamboat canceled so we did not get to sail, but we did find out there had been some major part of the paddlewheel break so we weren't likely to have it working for our cruise from someone here on Cruise Critic. I don't know whether to assume they used the time out of service to repair it or they waited since they didn't have money coming in so I have no answer. 

As far as noise level goes again can't speak to it directly since we never got to sail, but I talked to people who said they were bothered and others who said it wasn't actually much noise more of a vibration which they actually found relaxing.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/14/2021 at 1:27 PM, Glitchlo said:

Has anyone stayed in these suites on the back of the Duchess. we would need the Accessible suite 340 or 341 but interested in noise issue from wheel or anything else.

Just an update. We ended up in two of the suites on the very back of the Countess. I think the Duchess is going to be similar. The noise was not bad at all in that area of the ship. It didn't even keep my Mother-in-law from sleeping and she's a light sleeper so we were concerned. There was some noise and vibration but it was more in the vein of white noise and she actually said she sleep very well.

• Thanks 1