Welcome to all of us Canadians on Cruise Critic!

CRUISINGCANUCKS99

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Thanks for the suggestion. Most likely we will be at White Bay again in 2023, but only for 2 days this time. Planning a group tour to Blue Mountains day 1 and The Rocks/Darling Harbour pub/brewery crawl on day 2.

Hard to believe how Darling Harbour has changed from the 70's.

This is one of my favourite Ozzie beers 

They aren’t multinationals but family businesses.

https://furphybeer.com.au

And another 

https://coopers.com.au

Edited by Chiliburn

5 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

This is one of my favourite Ozzie beers 

https://furphybeer.com.au

Thanks, but don't drink lager. Prefer big, bold IPA's, cream ales, scotch ales, porters & stouts.

At the FoW in The Rocks, I tried their only IPA - Little Creatures IPA, which had a reasonable strength at about 6.5%, but was rather light on the hops. Still enjoyed the pint. Next place had a Shatter IPA, which had similar alcohol, but was hoppier.

Unfortunately, none of the places we went had much of a selection of heavy beers, with the exception of Guinness.

Hoping to try a few more when we return in 2023.

11 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Watch out uncle Les I may forget that Timmy's coffee when I come down there next year😁

You may as well give up the work work and start tours down under Lyle.
I can see a fleet of buses with @Blackduck59 tours (Americans only) on the side.

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Thanks, but don't drink lager. Prefer big, bold IPA's, cream ales, scotch ales, porters & stouts.

At the FoW in The Rocks, I tried their only IPA - Little Creatures IPA, which had a reasonable strength at about 6.5%, but was rather light on the hops. Still enjoyed the pint. Next place had a Shatter IPA, which had similar alcohol, but was hoppier.

Unfortunately, none of the places we went had much of a selection of heavy beers, with the exception of Guinness.

Hoping to try a few more when we return in 2023.

Sydney has a new tourist  precinct called Barangaroo (a native name).

Theres lots of craft breweries there ,it’s quite nice,on the harbour with a boardwalk. Much better than darling harbour but it’s right next to it.

But my dear old daddy said,we don’t drink for the taste.We drink for the alcohol.

45 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

You may as well give up the work work and start tours down under Lyle.
I can see a fleet of buses with @Blackduck59 tours (Americans only) on the side.

That would be like herding cats Chili and I'm a dog person. (although it has been a long time since I had a dog)

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

That would be like herding cats Chili and I'm a dog person. (although it has been a long time since I had a dog)

You would probably have to go on a stronger dose of blood pressure tablets.

I can still remember the first time I encountered them on a tour around Europe.

I thought ,what’s wrong with these people.

Who cares about the coffee,the slow service,bad water pressure in a 1000 year old castle.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

You would probably have to go on a stronger dose of blood pressure tablets.

I can still remember the first time I encountered them on a tour around Europe.

I thought ,what’s wrong with these people.

Who cares about the coffee,the slow service,bad water pressure in a 1000 year old castle.

We encountered a bus tour in Bavaria once, we were staying at a small hotel close to Neuschwanstein Castle. It was breakfast included we got to the breakfast room just in time because we were barely seated when there was this group descending on the food like a swarm of locusts. we didn't even have a chance. Soon they were sitting demanding this that and the next thing. We sort of looked up and there was a nice server asking us if they could get us anything, it seems that we were staying as regular guests not part of the tour. They brought us boiled eggs and made sure we had a heads up to be first at the cold cuts and cheese and pastries when they restocked. When someone asked why we got special treatment they were bluntly told we weren't part of the tour. We really don't think bus tours are for us.

Edited by Blackduck59

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

Sydney has a new tourist  precinct called Barangaroo (a native name).

Theres lots of craft breweries there ,it’s quite nice,on the harbour with a boardwalk. Much better than darling harbour but it’s right next to it.

But my dear old daddy said,we don’t drink for the taste.We drink for the alcohol.

Thanks, will check it out.

With our craft breweries, we get the best of both - lots of flavour and most IPA's/Heavy/Stouts are between 6 and 9%, with some Imperial IPA's & Stouts as high as 11%.

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

We encountered a bus tour in Bavaria once, we were staying at a small hotel close to Neuschwanstein Castle. It was breakfast included we got to the breakfast room just in time because we were barely seated when there was this group descending on the food like a swarm of locusts. we didn't even have a chance. Soon they were sitting demanding this that and the next thing. We sort of looked up and there was a nice server asking us if they could get us anything, it seems that we were staying as regular guests not part of the tour. They brought us boiled eggs and made sure we had a heads up to be first at the cold cuts and cheese and pastries when they restocked. When someone asked why we got special treatment they were bluntly told we weren't part of the tour. We really don't think bus tours are for us.

It's not just bus tours, Lyle. We were staying in one of the top hotels in the Blue Mountains near Sydney (Australia) for a few days. An extended American family (four adults and 4 kids) was also there, fresh off a cruise I suspect. The first we saw of them was one person attempting to hog all the loungers and towels in the very small indoor pool area. Later that night we were "entertained" by their very loud dinner conversation while we were having a cocktail in the adjacent bar. Our final experience of them was at breakfast next morning. I have never seen anything more disgusting. They swarmed over the buffet grabbing as much as they could then left most of it uneaten on their tables and on the floor. A couple of the wait staff were almost in tears trying to get it cleaned up quickly.

29 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It's not just bus tours, Lyle. We were staying in one of the top hotels in the Blue Mountains near Sydney (Australia) for a few days. An extended American family (four adults and 4 kids) was also there, fresh off a cruise I suspect. The first we saw of them was one person attempting to hog all the loungers and towels in the very small indoor pool area. Later that night we were "entertained" by their very loud dinner conversation while we were having a cocktail in the adjacent bar. Our final experience of them was at breakfast next morning. I have never seen anything more disgusting. They swarmed over the buffet grabbing as much as they could then left most of it uneaten on their tables and on the floor. A couple of the wait staff were almost in tears trying to get it cleaned up quickly.

You bought something up lounge hogs,it seems to be a American complaint.

I personally haven’t had a problem,if there’s nothing available just be humble and move on.

It’s no good throwing a tantrum because other kids are in the sand pit having a good time.good for them.

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

You bought something up lounge hogs,it seems to be a American complaint.

I personally haven’t had a problem,if there’s nothing available just be humble and move on.

It’s no good throwing a tantrum because other kids are in the sand pit having a good time.good for them.

No, I've seen it on Australian cruises too, by Australians. 😯 The hogging, not the complaining although a few 'what the..." comments were bantered around. No-one worries about people enjoying themselves, it's the ones that hog loungers or cafe tables by spreading their belongings everywhere then disappearing for three hours that are annoying. 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

On 4/19/2021 at 10:40 AM, matamanoa said:

Nice to see a forum by and about Canadians.  My husband and I have cruised over the last 25 years and are looking forward to getting back on a ship.  We have two cruises booked for Aug. of 2022 and hope that the virus has settled down around the world and things can get back to a more normal way of life.  We have both had our first shots of the Pfizer vaccine and will get the second dose in July.  Ontario is in quite a bad state at the moment, with most of the Covid cases centered around Toronto and Ottawa.  We are short of vaccines and everyone is anxious to be vaccinated.  What a mess!  The variant cases are out of control and our hospitals are on the brink of collapse.  Who ever thought it would come to this!  

Barb

We live in Niagara area and have 3 grown kids in Toronto....all awaiting their vaccines. I am so afraid for them and you are quite right that Ontario (especially Toronto) is in dire straits right now. My husband and I have received our lst Pfizer shot with the second booked at the end of July.  It gives some relief but we are chomping at the bit for some return to normality...seeing loved ones and of course cruising again. We are booked on Oceania  to Bermuda July '22 and am trying not to count the weeks since it's too far away!

Welcome Sophie's Mom.  I hope I don't upset you, but our Beagle in the avatar is Sophie.  So, I am Sophie's Mom too!!

We have also had our first shot and I think we have to wait till Aug for the second unless things go better than they expect.  We are so glad Vancouver is now refusing flights from India and Pakistan.  i think 13 people have so far been caught with fake documents and we now have the new variant here.

We have a cruise booked Sept 4 Iceland/Ireland but I think we will cancel it.  So that will make our first sailing Apr 26, 2022.  Such a long time to wait but better to be safe.

On 4/20/2021 at 3:05 AM, Chiliburn said:

You’re going to be busy Lyle.

The new Canadyan  forum, and a regular on the Australia,New Zealand forum.

Hey my granddaddy was in the Edmonton tunneling core WW1 and 2 .

He used to tunnel under the German trenches and blow them up.

He didn’t like the beer there and moved to Sydney.

I think I can stir the #hit .

Love Australians.  I once mistook an Australian for an Englishman - GASP - and he said it was ok, Americans usually got it wrong.  I said excuse me - you know, being polite and all -  I am Canadian and the two of us had a grand laugh.   😉

Thanks for starting this thread.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, TeaBag said:

Welcome Sophie's Mom.  I hope I don't upset you, but our Beagle in the avatar is Sophie.  So, I am Sophie's Mom too!!

We have also had our first shot and I think we have to wait till Aug for the second unless things go better than they expect.  We are so glad Vancouver is now refusing flights from India and Pakistan.  i think 13 people have so far been caught with fake documents and we now have the new variant here.

We have a cruise booked Sept 4 Iceland/Ireland but I think we will cancel it.  So that will make our first sailing Apr 26, 2022.  Such a long time to wait but better to be safe.

Not upset at all....Sophie was the name of our much loved cat, who provided me with my Cruise Critic member name! 😂

Now why didn't I think of that with one of our former Beagles?    i really don't like my screen name.  My initial is T and that's where the T comes from.  I was on a cooking forum years ago and everything I tried in the line of cooking was taken, hence the Teabag!  I did change it once and was on a cruise later when a guy who knew me by my old name came up to me and told me to change it back!  So I did.

On 4/23/2021 at 1:52 PM, Blackduck59 said:

I’ve been recruiting for your tour company Lyle.

This bloke would be a good concierge ,meet people at the airport, make those special arrangements for the VIP’s. Drive the limo.

• Haha 1

While I like that we Canadians have our own forum I'm afraid there really isn't much going on here.

Perhaps it will get better once we start cruising again, for us that is January 2022 assuming our government cancels or modifies the travel advisory so we can get some travel insurance. Then of course we have to hope that the countries we want to visit will accept Canadians.

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

While I like that we Canadians have our own forum I'm afraid there really isn't much going on here.

Perhaps it will get better once we start cruising again, for us that is January 2022 assuming our government cancels or modifies the travel advisory so we can get some travel insurance. Then of course we have to hope that the countries we want to visit will accept Canadians.

Apparently Europe is going to allow tourists from the US if they have been fully vaccinated.

It could be just a con to get them to want to vaccinated but it sounds like a move in the right direction.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/25/us/europe-vaccinated-americans-summer-eu-vacation/index.html

Edited by Chiliburn

On 4/25/2021 at 7:44 AM, Chiliburn said:

I’ve been recruiting for your tour company Lyle.

This bloke would be a good concierge ,meet people at the airport, make those special arrangements for the VIP’s. Drive the limo.

Why is Arkansas pronounced Arkansaw? Please tell.

On 4/24/2021 at 10:24 PM, Anubi said:

Love Australians.  I once mistook an Australian for an Englishman - GASP - and he said it was ok, Americans usually got it wrong.  I said excuse me - you know, being polite and all -  I am Canadian and the two of us had a grand laugh.   😉

Thanks for starting this thread.  

I have often felt an idiot on the cruises mixing up yankee and canadian accents, i apologise profusley.🤭

• Haha 1

On 4/23/2021 at 2:21 PM, Blackduck59 said:

On 4/23/2021 at 2:21 PM, Blackduck59 said:

Likewise in uk lyle, on uk self drive trips, stopped at couple of hotels with pommy coach tours. Breakfast, dinner, the locusts had cleaned up the buffets. Even making bacon butties for their lunch. Sad really.

Edited by NSWP