HAL alone in booking cruises out of Amsterdam in July, 2021

Balliett

27 minutes ago, Mangojuice4u said:

I wonder how the vaccination requirement will apply to kids? I have two teenagers that are going with us on the cruise. They’re not old enough to get the vaccine so I don’t know how they can require it.

My understanding is that the vaccines are only approved for over 16 year olds (in Europe) so they would not need to be vaccinated if they do not attain their 16th birthday while in Europe.  A negative Covid test will probably be accepted for minors. 

No doubt it will be all teased out in the fullness of time.

(Please do not turn this into another yes/no to vax thread.)

• Like 1

On 4/24/2021 at 9:12 PM, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Welcome To the CC Holland America Board!!

Sadly I am expecting HAL to make an announcement this week. We are booked for the week prior July 11th and paid in full just over 2 weeks ago.

Holland America had to make a few steps before they could cancel our cruise. my gut feeling is that first they wanted to make a big announcement that they too will be definitely sailing this summer out of Greece with the Eurodam but before they could do that they needed to notify those that were booked for Alaska out of Seattle that they would be changing ships. Although Seattle Alaska may very well cancel Holland America is not ready to throw in the towel so to speak. Actually more that they want to sit on the money already paid for expensive shore excursions they have already sold. ( Alaska is their big money maker when it comes to excursions) They are not ready to start making more refunds. Holland America finished sending out the emails yesterday to everyone sailing the Eurodam through September. So I am thinking that this next week will be the BIG Announcement that they will be sailing this summer, then state that Eurodam was replaced by Nieuw Amsterdam for the Late Summer Seattle Alaska sailings since they are still working with authorities to try to make that work. Then as a side not at the end of this announcement that they unfortunately will need to cancel July and August sailings in Europe with the exception of the new Greece sailings. 

Hi, so you are booked for 7/11 And they did just cancel yours? Thank you for your insightful assessment!

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

My understanding is that the vaccines are only approved for over 16 year olds (in Europe) so they would not need to be vaccinated if they do not attain their 16th birthday while in Europe.  A negative Covid test will probably be accepted for minors. 

No doubt it will be all teased out in the fullness of time.

(Please do not turn this into another yes/no to vax thread.)

Thank you I would hope that would be the case and that they wouldn’t be completely excluded from going!

2 hours ago, Mangojuice4u said:

I wonder how the vaccination requirement will apply to kids? I have two teenagers that are going with us on the cruise. They’re not old enough to get the vaccine so I don’t know how they can require it.

NCL has already stated all people on a cruise must be vaccinated which includes minors. Being vaccinated is going to be required to fly to Europe this summer, according to the news today from the EU.  I have not seen anything about excluding or exceptions for  minors who are not vaccinated. 

13 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Being vaccinated is going to be required to fly to Europe this summer, according to the news today from the EU. 

Do you have a source for this information?

EU countries have currently no plans to vaccinate the under 16's, so I cannot imagine how they would then insist on vaccinations.  There are many families in Europe planning to travel this summer and the under 16;'s will not be vaccinated.

Probably require a negative test before travelling.

5 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

EU countries have currently no plans to vaccinate the under 16's, so I cannot imagine how they would then insist on vaccinations.  There are many families in Europe planning to travel this summer and the under 16;'s will not be vaccinated.

The EU announced today that beginning this summer US citizens will be allowed to travel to the EU countries if they are vaccinated. This only covers travel from the US and doesn't mention anything about minors under 16 being exempt from the vaccine mandate. I should have probably added that the new travel update from the EU only covered travel from the US, I apologize if I confused the issue.

Vaccinated American Tourists May Soon Travel to Europe - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

We need to be careful that we don't put the cart before the horse. The European Union has agreed to allow vaccinated travelers from the US but have left it to the individual countries as to how they implement it. There is also the question of the vaccination card that the EU will use versus the card issued to recipients in the US. This could still be late Summer or early Fall before traveling.

5 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

The EU announced today that beginning this summer US citizens will be allowed to travel to the EU countries if they are vaccinated. This only covers travel from the US and doesn't mention anything about minors under 16 being exempt from the vaccine mandate. I should have probably added that the new travel update from the EU only covered travel from the US, I apologize if I confused the issue.

Vaccinated American Tourists May Soon Travel to Europe - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Ok,

A couple of points........this is a media report of an interview with an official in the EC, who is expressing a wish/opinion.  It is not a "travel update".  She may well be the president of the commission, but any changes must be approved by the commission in general.  There is no such thing as an Executive Order in the EU.

They are working towards a digital passport for travel by European citizens and have been in discussions with US  ......

Technical discussions have been going on for several weeks between European Union and United States officials on how to practically and technologically make vaccine certificates from each place broadly readable so that citizens can use them to travel without restrictions.

Currently there is not an agreed 'Vaccine Passport' within Europe.  They are planning one and details are being discussed by member countries.  It is expected that it will be introduced by mid- June to encourage travel and vacations in Europe.

Sorry, I am not wanting to be negative, but we are still in a holding pattern.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mangojuice4u said:

Hi, so you are booked for 7/11 And they did just cancel yours? Thank you for your insightful assessment!

??Not sure what you are asking. Yes, am booked for 7/11 and NO they did not just cancel this cruise.

Although what I am stating is if you attempt to go back into Flight Ease to add that additional segment on the beginning you may find that you will have to totally rebook your flight. Very possibly all segments if you have already paid cruise in full which I am assuming you have. You really need to contact either your TA or Holland America, which in contacting HAL they will most likely send you directly to the Air department.

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Ok,

A couple of points........this is a media report of an interview with an official in the EC, who is expressing a wish/opinion.  It is not a "travel update".  She may well be the president of the commission, but any changes must be approved by the commission in general.  There is no such thing as an Executive Order in the EU.

They are working towards a digital passport for travel by European citizens and have been in discussions with US  ......

Technical discussions have been going on for several weeks between European Union and United States officials on how to practically and technologically make vaccine certificates from each place broadly readable so that citizens can use them to travel without restrictions.

Currently there is not an agreed 'Vaccine Passport' within Europe.  They are planning one and details are being discussed by member countries.  It is expected that it will be introduced by mid- June to encourage travel and vacations in Europe.

Sorry, I am not wanting to be negative, but we are still in a holding pattern.

Thanks for the clarification.  I don’t consider it negative at all but enlightening to understand the process.

Much appreciated 🙂 

This from Cruiseindustrynews.com, April 24, 2021.  Note the last sentence

Holland America Line
First sailing: July 1, 2021
Ship: Volendam  
Region: Mediterranean

After trimming Mediterranean sailings until June, Holland America Line could return to service on July 1 with the Volendam. Unlike other Carnival brands, however, the company is still to announce a firm restart plan.

16 minutes ago, Balliett said:

Holland America Line

After trimming Mediterranean sailings until June, Holland America Line could return to service on July 1 with the Volendam. Unlike other Carnival brands, however, the company is still to announce a firm restart plan.

Just a correction the article stating this is dated March 9, 2021 which in the rapidly changing situation is a bit dated but is still current with Holland America, it could be a whole new announcement tomorrow.

For logistics there will also be a lot more announcements such as the itinerary that Westerdam is to sail would probably be replaced with Oosterdam, then the Nieuw Statendam needs to be making the trek across the atlantic but with no ports stops or passengers it would not take that long.But then there is the whole logistics of getting crew on board and trained.

41 minutes ago, Balliett said:

Holland America Line

Note the tenth word..."could".  Not "will" return to service.

If you had posted the end of the article it is a little more pessimistic.......

"Other summer itineraries to Alaska and Canada/New England are also in doubt"

Note the use of the word "also" .

To summarise: pure speculation, badly written.

HAL could also return will Zaandam which is sitting just off Cyprus and Eurodam which is listed for weekly calls to Piraeus but these ships are not even mentioned.

Edited by VMax1700

11 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Yes, that link you provided would be the most recent article but the poster did in fact give a link which is underlined.

After trimming Mediterranean sailings until June

On 4/26/2021 at 8:08 AM, Mangojuice4u said:

Hopefully by then, they will let children get vaccinated. 

On 4/26/2021 at 1:21 PM, VMax1700 said:

I think that the cruise lines can implement whatever policy they deem necessary and appropriate.  If it includes everyone to be vaccinated, it could well include children under 16.   

We are booked on the 11th July 7day sailing. We are in the team "on a cruise everyone should be vaccinated" if it sails.

I am not vaccinated yet because it is not my turn yet. Too bad, if I would get Astra Zeneca today, the second shot would be somewhen in July. If everyone needs to be fully vaccinated, I would be out of the game with Astra Zeneca. But I would rather take AZ today rather than declining it. I am not supposed to get AZ because of age restrictions, but I would be more than happy to take it right now!!! We will see what happens

Final payment is not due until mid June. But currently I am more concerned how to get the vaccination soon for being safe rather than making any detailed vacation plans. 

• 2 weeks later...

As predicted. HAL pulled the plug on the Nieuw Statendam cruises in Europe through Aug 22, per my TA.   Options are transfer to another cruise, full refund of 110% cruise credit.  I'll take the cash.  Iceland will have to wait another year. 

• Like 1