The Daily for Friday Apr 16, 2021

richwmn

13 hours ago, geocruiser said:

You are right , I would not like it.

We were on Regal Princess March 2019 when the ship made a u-turn to go back and search for a small plane that went down in the Eastern Caribbean.  We were on our way to St Thomas, if I remember correctly.  It was around lunch time because I was at the buffet.  The Captain came over the loud speakers with a "man over board"  Started giving all kinds of orders to the staff and crew.  He changed course and was going back from where we came it looked like.  After he was on his way and orders were in place, he came back on the loud speaker and told us what had happen.  He said that they use "man over board when anyone is in the water."  I never saw anything like this.  About 45 minutes later to a hour he brought the ship a safe distance to where they were in the water.  Both men were safe and not hurt.  Their small plane had a parachute. So their landing in the water was better for them.  They were in a life raft.  Then a airplane came and was circling them and us.  Both men gave a interview on Princess TV after they went to medical.  They were let off in St. Thomas. The job that the Captain and staff and crew did was amazing! 

Similar thing happened with Veendam off Hawaii a few years before that. https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/destinations/hawaii/veendam-rescues-pilot-who-ditched-his-plane-in-the-pacific-ocean/

• Like 1