Should vaccine passports be required for travel?

commodoredave

I am all for what amounts to modernizing the "yellow card". It would be a useful tool for the VISA application process/ international travel and for domestic use going forward for things like ER visits and registering children for school. Often shot records are required to be provided to the schools for vaccine verification, with an electronic Yellow Card, it would be an automated check.

• Like 2

On 4/19/2021 at 5:58 AM, commodoredave said:

Here's my take on this controversial subject. What's yours?

https://gentlemansportion.com/2021/04/19/should-vaccine-passports-be-required-for-travel/

If it means cruises roll out this summer I am down for it. I'm fully vaccinated and anyone who really wants it can get vaccinated within a 500 mile radius of where I live for certain, plus I know for a fact there are many other areas where this is also true. I realize there are other places which are struggling to catch up, but I think rolling out travel based on proof of vaccination can only push those places to try harder. Just let me know where to make certain my vaccination is registered and I'm all set.

• Like 2

I can see it being used for things beyond travel.  Businesses that have had to close down due to the pandemic may consider requiring proof of vaccination.  Even businesses that are open now might start requiring it for the safety of their staff and customers.  Performance venues might require them for everyone's safety as well.

• Like 3

Totally agree vaccinations must be shown. It was similar o going to Brazil you had to have a yellow fever shot and receive a card.  At the moment I believe all Cruise lines with the exception of Disney Cruise lines are owned by other country's and if you want to board their Cruise ship you have to abide by all their rules and if they require Vaccinations then so be it You have a choice to board these Cruise ships Get vaccinated or don't go. The owners of the cruise lines have responsibilities to there staff and maintaining a safe environment for all on board and those destinations (port) they stop at.  By the way I have had both my Pizer shots but will not cruise until what I see happens to those ships that do set sail from US Ports

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I am in total agreement with something to prove vaccination status. What the concerns are is with the name "Passport". Maybe some other title would soften those critical of the whole idea. I, for one, do not intend to board a cruise ship if there are questions about pax not being vaccinated.

• Like 1

I'm not really sure why some people think they have some inalienable right to a luxury item like a cruise that should trump public safety.  It's been perfectly acceptable for decades all around the world.

• Like 3

I think that international travel is the one situation where it makes sense to require proof of vaccination, at least for now.

In the US, we’re quickly reaching a point where everyone who wants the vaccine will have had it. But much of the world isn’t anywhere near that point. Until they are, it seems like the decent thing to do is to get inoculated before thrusting ourselves upon them.

Ultimately, it should be up to each country to decide what vaccinations, if any, will be required to enter and interact with its citizenry. But some countries will open their borders to tourism and business even without widespread access to a vaccine because of economic need. So I personally would lean toward getting vaccinated regardless.

My husband and I are vaccinated and looking forward to resuming cruising in January 2022.  How can we know that everyone who claims to be vaccinated is telling the truth?  Sorry to sound so negative and distrustful, but I'm being realistic.  (https://www.ibtimes.com/why-americans-will-lie-about-being-vaccinated-avoid-wearing-masks-3200813)  At this point, only 31.5% of Americans have received both vaccinations, and I would not put it past anti-vaxxers to misrepresent their status.  What happens to the ship and its passengers when we're off the coast of Busan and there is a outbreak of the virus onboard?  Sure, we're vaccinated and probably safe from getting the virus.  But what are the protocols for getting everyone back to our final destination?  We have friends who were on the Diamond Princess, and we would not want to repeat that nightmare.

YOU ARE USING WRONG NAME - PROPER NAME IS CERTIFICATE OF VACCINATION - ALSO KNOWN AS YELLOW CARD.   or, mine says Covid 19 vaccination record. vaccine passport is why so many people and stupid governors are against them.

also, vaccines should be required to go cruising

• Like 2

Yes.  Just yes.  I have no desire to cruise with the unvaccinated.  If they want to do cruises for the unvaccinated then that is fine by me.  I can’t wait to see how that works out although I don’t think it is fair to the crew.

I should be able to take a cruise with other vaccinated passengers.  In fact I won’t cruise with the unvaccinated.  (Exception for those not eligible for the vaccine.)

Plenty of other places to vacation and spend my money.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

And that is why the threshold is 95% and not 100%.  If those who can get it do then those who legitimately can’t should be safe.  I have gotten the vaccine to protect people like you.  I can’t imagine that you are considering getting on a cruise with unvaccinated passengers if you have a condition prohibiting you from getting vaccinated.

Edited by misscruiser36
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/27/2021 at 4:15 PM, misscruiser36 said:

Yes.  Just yes.  I have no desire to cruise with the unvaccinated.  If they want to do cruises for the unvaccinated then that is fine by me.  I can’t wait to see how that works out although I don’t think it is fair to the crew.

I should be able to take a cruise with other vaccinated passengers.  In fact I won’t cruise with the unvaccinated.  (Exception for those not eligible for the vaccine.)

Plenty of other places to vacation and spend my money.  

Doesn't your vaccine protect you? I cannot understand why anyone who is protected would care. How do you know if someone is eligible or not? Allergies can be life threatening . Religious exemptions are real as well.

• Like 1

Vaccine is 91% real world effective around unvaccinated people. Not 100%.  Why would I take any risk when there are so many vacation options?  If I really want to cruise I will just do it where fully vaccinated is required.  (Europe?)

Probably will just go to Hawaii this year in the winter for my break.

• Like 3

Absolutely.  The thought of cramming 2000 people together without a means of ensuring some semblance of protection is ludicrous.  What’s more ludicrous is a Governor telling a private business they can’t institute this policy.

I was sad to see RCCL cave to him yesterday.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 6/5/2021 at 6:47 AM, misscruiser36 said:

Vaccine is 91% real world effective around unvaccinated people. Not 100%.  Why would I take any risk when there are so many vacation options?  If I really want to cruise I will just do it where fully vaccinated is required.  (Europe?)

Probably will just go to Hawaii this year in the winter for my break.

There’s so much confusion over that 95% (or 91%)  statistic. It doesn’t mean that you have a 5% chance of getting Covid if you’re vaccinated. It means that you are 95% less likely to get Covid than someone who is not vaccinated.

In the clinical trials, people who got the vaccines had a .04% chance of getting Covid. 

Lots of articles out there on this. Here’s one: https://www.livescience.com/covid-19-vaccine-efficacy-explained.html

I will not feel confident to cruise, unless proof of vaccination is required. If you disagree with the Florida Governor’s efforts to dictate what cruise lines can require, then consider emailing your thoughts. His email is: GovernorRon.DeSantis@eog.myflorida.com

This is NOT about politics. This is about cruising with confidence and our safety. I won’t cruise unless the cruise line is allowed to enforce some requirements. This is the email I just sent with a copy to my favorite cruise line:

Dear Governor,
I am very unhappy with your current efforts to dictate what requirements the cruise lines can establish. Regulating business is not a core value of conservatives.

You must realize the average age of those who cruise - the elderly are most at risk from this pandemic. We will NOT be coming to Florida to cruise unless the cruise line can enforce vaccination proof to ensure our safety.

For many of us, cruising is our form of entertainment - it’s not about politics.

Keric and Jan Ashley
Rancho Cordova, California

• Like 9

Everything is political.  The main people that won't get vaccinated are Republicans. They can't cruise.  They want the governor to stand up for what they think is right.   And that's whatever it is they want to do, not wear a mask and not get vaccinated.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, trey420 said:

Everything is political.  The main people that won't get vaccinated are Republicans. They can't cruise.  They want the governor to stand up for what they think is right.   And that's whatever it is they want to do, not wear a mask and not get vaccinated.  

I'm not sure what area you are from where Republicans are the ones that are anti-vaxers but it certainly isn't the case in my area with me, my family and friends, all conservatives and virtually all have had their vaccines.  Many Democrats are still fearful in my area because of the misinformation the democratic party and main stream media spread when Trump got the vaccine approve and set up the infrastructure in place to vaccinate quickly.  then as soon as Biden was sworn in they all did an about-face and pretended they never said anything negative and now trying to get people to ignore what they said 6-12 months ago.

The liberals I know are a mixed bunch, many have been vaccinated but many just spout off they have the RIGHT NOT to get vaccinated and don't usually point to any scientific reason though some are still afraid from the early hysteria spread by their own party.

In the end I just wish ALL people from ALL parties would just do a little research on their own from respectable medical sources and not just take the word of one friend, one case, one article from 6 months ago that may or may not have bias in either direction.  Gather as much info from multiple good sources and make an intelligent decision based on facts that is right for them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

we will only cruise on fully vaccinated cruises. we cancelled our 97 world cruise Jan 2022 but kept the 97 day Jan 2023. we hope the cruise lines all adopt 100% vaccination. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, seamus69 said:

I'm not sure what area you are from where Republicans are the ones that are anti-vaxers but it certainly isn't the case in my area with me, my family and friends, all conservatives and virtually all have had their vaccines.  Many Democrats are still fearful in my area because of the misinformation the democratic party and main stream media spread when Trump got the vaccine approve and set up the infrastructure in place to vaccinate quickly.  then as soon as Biden was sworn in they all did an about-face and pretended they never said anything negative and now trying to get people to ignore what they said 6-12 months ago.

The liberals I know are a mixed bunch, many have been vaccinated but many just spout off they have the RIGHT NOT to get vaccinated and don't usually point to any scientific reason though some are still afraid from the early hysteria spread by their own party.

In the end I just wish ALL people from ALL parties would just do a little research on their own from respectable medical sources and not just take the word of one friend, one case, one article from 6 months ago that may or may not have bias in either direction.  Gather as much info from multiple good sources and make an intelligent decision based on facts that is right for them.

I'm in texas and here its mainly Republicans we got dems on that side too of course.   But the main ones barking here are the ones thinking 45 will be back in office in August.  Our governor same thing pretty much as Florida.  Just in a wheelchair.  I personally don't care if they got the vax or not.  I would sail either way.  That may just be me.  I mean if you're under the delusion that all those covid cards presented to the cruise line are real, please contact me I have ocean front property in Oklahoma to sell dirt cheap.

I think the "vaccine passport" or whatever you want to name it is a good solution, maybe not perfect, but if we wait for perfect, it'll never happen.  It should be an official document similar to a passport or 'real ID' driver's license that can't be easily forged.  Sure, some determined anti-everything-but-trump-ers will do their best to forge them, as passports etc. can be forged, but if it's difficult and expensive, maybe some will realize it's better to just get vaccinated and get on with life instead of trying to be as obstinate as possible.  Now, with worldwide internet, it would be fairly simple to have a QR-code type graphic to scan on the document that would check its validity in seconds, so perhaps rather than risk getting turned away from a planned vacation at boarding, some will take the more logical route...get vaccinated or do something else (maybe they could form their own groups of similar-minded and travel with them...as a bonus, they could probably take their guns 8^).  As for situations like Florida/DeSantis, I don't need to go there, if they want some ridiculous law to demand I cruise with non-vaxers.  Rather than help boost their economy from port fees and my travel $$, I'll depart from somewhere else.

• Like 3

On 6/5/2021 at 1:54 AM, Junonia said:

Doesn't your vaccine protect you? I cannot understand why anyone who is protected would care. How do you know if someone is eligible or not? Allergies can be life threatening . Religious exemptions are real as well.

We care because if covid is is found on the ship, which is much more likely with unvaccinated passengers, they will stop the cruise confine everyone to their rooms and go straight to the home port. We also care because children and infirm seniors cannot be vaccinated and may die if they catch covid. 

• Like 1