Bahamas Covid19 test required

ALWAYS CRUZIN

If you are going to the Bahamas. You will be required to get a covid19 RT-PCR swab test that is negative within 5 days of stepping foot on the island. Cruise or flying. If you expect to be their less than 5 days the cost if $40.00 per person. Once you have your negative test, go to travel.gov.bs then click on international and fill out the form.  In most cases, the PCR swab test will take 2 days before you get your results. The day you take your test is considered day zero. So what does that leave you if you are lucky enough to receive the results the day before you take your cruise. 2-3 days. Almost sounds like a catch 22. We booked BPCLs Grand Classica for a 2 day cruise out of Palm beach Fl.  to Grand Bahamas August 17th. It is a BOGO. Plus 5 free  drinks. Went to our local CVS pharmacy and they said. Come on Friday, then it will be 2 days to receive the results. The cruise leaves on Tuesday and we arrive at Grand Bahamas island Wednesday. Cutting it very close.  Test on Friday, Sat, Sun, Mon, Tue, Wednesday Bahamas, that is day 5. My wife and I both received the two vaccines. However, that does not guarantee our tests will be negative. What will happen if you are on a longer cruise and the Bahamas port is like day 4 or longer. Will the tests be required aboard ship for all who want to go on the island? That can be a major problem, even if the ship is only 50-60% of capacity. What will all the other ports require as Cruising resumes?

To cruise out of the bahamas on rcl, I know you need to purchase the bahamas visa for $60. In addition to a negative test. The visa covers you if you get quarantined for up to 14 days. I dont know what if anything else. I've posted this on threads for carnival moving to another port to leave.

I'd look into it. I've seen the link on rcl several times.

26 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

To cruise out of the bahamas on rcl, I know you need to purchase the bahamas visa for $60. In addition to a negative test. The visa covers you if you get quarantined for up to 14 days. I dont know what if anything else. I've posted this on threads for carnival moving to another port to leave.

I'd look into it. I've seen the link on rcl several times.

yes. The longer the visa is good for the more the cost.

CNN had an article featured recently on where Americans can travel now, and the Caribbean islands/destinations are included.  Some places allow proof of vaccine to be used instead of getting tested.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/us-international-travel-covid-19/index.html

I think the article is updated semi-regularly.  And since this will evolve over time, always good to keep abreast of those changing requirements.

26 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

CNN had an article featured recently on where Americans can travel now, and the Caribbean islands/destinations are included.  Some places allow proof of vaccine to be used instead of getting tested.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/us-international-travel-covid-19/index.html

I think the article is updated semi-regularly.  And since this will evolve over time, always good to keep abreast of those changing requirements.

Thanks. I checked it out. Here is a problem. Most other locations just want you to have been tested 3 days prior to starting your trip. 5 days before arrival can easily be a problem.

St. Lucia, Turks and Caicos

US citizens 5 and older must provide a negative Covid-19 PCR test that's taken within five days of arrival. Visitors must also complete a travel registration form and arrive with a printed copy. You must have confirmed reservations at a Covid-certified property for the duration of the trip.

This is where the rapid tests will become the norm for vaccinated individuals since these tests are good at detecting high viral loads and highly infectious individuals but largely ignores low viral loads. Since anybody (vaccinated or not) could ingest a low viral load, the RT-PCR tests are unnecessary for vaccinated individuals since the vaccine triggered immune response is designed to quickly eliminate any further growth and resultant spread. In the rare instance a vaccinated individual triggers a positive test (very unlikely with a rapid test), the cruiseline simply checks for symptoms and then allow them to board upon passing the symptoms check.

In contrast unvaccinated folks will likely still be required to provide both a RT-PCR test days in advance along with a rapid test the day of embarkation. If they fail either test, then I'd put money on them not being allowed to board.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Yes I had googled it and says that on the application. Apparently its $60 for the 7 day cruise as i said.

There are people who cruise who are not fond of Nassau or Freeport as they have been to those places a few times. I guess the Cruise line owned Cays would be included in this.

20 hours ago, embarkation75 said:

This is where the rapid tests will become the norm for vaccinated individuals since these tests are good at detecting high viral loads and highly infectious individuals but largely ignores low viral loads. Since anybody (vaccinated or not) could ingest a low viral load, the RT-PCR tests are unnecessary for vaccinated individuals since the vaccine triggered immune response is designed to quickly eliminate any further growth and resultant spread. In the rare instance a vaccinated individual triggers a positive test (very unlikely with a rapid test), the cruiseline simply checks for symptoms and then allow them to board upon passing the symptoms check.

In contrast unvaccinated folks will likely still be required to provide both a RT-PCR test days in advance along with a rapid test the day of embarkation. If they fail either test, then I'd put money on them not being allowed to board.

Actually the PCR test is deeply flawed and heavily weighted towards positive results.  The PCR "Test" isn't actually a test.  It is a method to extract certain DNA / RNA of a virus for research purposes.  It was designed during the AIDS crisis to develop medicines.  The rapid tests are actually being pulled from certain areas of the world because they produce such low positive results.... "experts" claim they show less than 2% of the positive cases.

https://www.coreysdigs.com/health-science/covid-19-pt-4-the-test-that-changed-the-world-is-deeply-flawed/

Edited by Buckeyefrank100

17 hours ago, florida eagle said:

There are people who cruise who are not fond of Nassau or Freeport as they have been to those places a few times. I guess the Cruise line owned Cays would be included in this.

We have been to every, eastern, western and deep south port, panama, Mexico, Costa Rica etc. several times each. Do not care to fly or take cruises more than 14 days tops. Mostly 7 day cruises. We still enjoy getting off and checking the items that are being sold. So many times we just stay onboard and enjoy the hot tub or just lay in the sun and relax. Nassau and Freeport. Well, Nassau. The wife still goes to the Straw Market. Freeport. We go to that small straw market and listen to the music. A nice walk and to just look around again.

On 4/19/2021 at 11:42 AM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

If you are going to the Bahamas. You will be required to get a covid19 RT-PCR swab test that is negative within 5 days of stepping foot on the island. Cruise or flying. If you expect to be their less than 5 days the cost if $40.00 per person. Once you have your negative test, go to travel.gov.bs then click on international and fill out the form.  In most cases, the PCR swab test will take 2 days before you get your results. The day you take your test is considered day zero. So what does that leave you if you are lucky enough to receive the results the day before you take your cruise. 2-3 days. Almost sounds like a catch 22. We booked BPCLs Grand Classica for a 2 day cruise out of Palm beach Fl.  to Grand Bahamas August 17th. It is a BOGO. Plus 5 free  drinks. Went to our local CVS pharmacy and they said. Come on Friday, then it will be 2 days to receive the results. The cruise leaves on Tuesday and we arrive at Grand Bahamas island Wednesday. Cutting it very close.  Test on Friday, Sat, Sun, Mon, Tue, Wednesday Bahamas, that is day 5. My wife and I both received the two vaccines. However, that does not guarantee our tests will be negative. What will happen if you are on a longer cruise and the Bahamas port is like day 4 or longer. Will the tests be required aboard ship for all who want to go on the island? That can be a major problem, even if the ship is only 50-60% of capacity. What will all the other ports require as Cruising resumes?

As to update this thread.  If you have been vaccinated 14 days prior to entering the Bahamas -- no PCR test is required.  This will be effective 1 May.  You will still need a Health Visa and pay for insurance but instead of the negative PCR test, you will upload a copy of your CDC vaccination card.

Expect them to change the health visa site next week.

If you need a test in PSL (and will to pay for it), try going to a lab in Stuart. 

They have a 6 hour turn around for the RT PCR

https://fgstuart.com/services

3 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

As to update this thread.  If you have been vaccinated 14 days prior to entering the Bahamas -- no PCR test is required.  This will be effective 1 May.  You will still need a Health Visa and pay for insurance but instead of the negative PCR test, you will upload a copy of your CDC vaccination card.

Expect them to change the health visa site next week.

If you need a test in PSL (and will to pay for it), try going to a lab in Stuart. 

They have a 6 hour turn around for the RT PCR

https://fgstuart.com/services

So I take it the insurance is what the $40.00 is for?

16 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

The Bahamas med visa is still required. The only difference is they accept a person that had both the shots at least 14 days before arrival. You still pay the $40 or more per person depending on the length of your stay. You must have that in your possession before boarding the ship. You cannot choose to stay on the ship to avoid the $40.00. The nonsense about all of this is just so the Bahamas gets some money. I have posted all about what BOCL is actually costing a cruiser for the BOGO offer. It ends soon. If you choose to book a cruise further out than 91 days. There is a fee of $25.00. This BOGO has ended up a No Deal. For an Ocean View it came to $501.00 Expensive for a 2 day trip. Plus the $80.00 So $581.00 Now the $40 for parking. OK they park and get your car. Yes you park at all ports but $20 a day is a bit steep for us. We usually park off site and shuttle in. Drop off at the ship then drop off at your car and they put your luggage in your car. That is us. Those who do not care about cost have no problem with this. We do. We will cancel if the Bahamas does not drop the requirement of the $40.00 for the so called insurance. By the way. It says you can cancel with out penalty. Not if it is less that 31 days before the cruise.