Looking for advice from Past Koningsdam cruisers please!

shiner6

This question is for those of you have sailed Alaska on the Koningsdam.   

What is your opinion about public places on board in which to relax and take in the view as well as take some great photos?

We have sailed this itinerary before on Princess and Disney, and had no problems.  (We had a balcony which we hardly used so next time we had an inside room which suited me fine because I am prone to seasickness and I like the dark sleeping area low and midship.) 

Now, my better half has expressed a desire to have a balcony again for picture taking. There are very few balcony cabins left for our cruise next July, and I am torn between the extra $2500 fee for a mediocre  forward balcony spot vs our large category I inside cabin midship).   There will be a teen grandaughter in our cabin.

We are traveling with two other families who have balconies and suites.

I have read all of the posts and have gleaned some useful information, however, I am open to any of your recommendations based on experience.  Any tips are welcome!😃

I can only comment on the inside cabin which we had on the Koningsdam for a 12 day Caribbean cruise.  It was small, we had no issue with it as most days we were in port from 8 am to 4 pm.  We did not like the promenade deck, it is not as spacious as other HAL ships.  The deck above the lido is delightful for viewing and is behind glass and has great loungers to relax.  The other upper decks are open air but have plenty of 360 degree views.

• Like 2

May I suggest that you take a look at www.halfacts.com to get a good look at the interior cabin you mentioned.  There you will see just how small these interior cabins are, even though they are categorized as large.  I would not want three adults in this cabin.  The balcony cabin is a much better choice.  We sailed on K’dam in 2019 and loved it!  

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, shiner6 said:

Thanks everyone!  I booked a balcony. I figured it was time to let my husband have his first choice.  Looking forward to cruising with HAL.

I enjoy the NY Pizza & Deli area above the indoor pool for just hanging out.  The free food, (chicken wings, sandwiches, pizza, bagels, and salads) and just a short walk to gelato/milk shakes makes the spot good for me.  It also has very good internet connection speed.

Here is a link to my photo review of the Koningsdam that shows lots of public places where you can hang out:

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-konigsdam-on-board

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, shiner6 said:

Oh my goodness, have you seen Roger's site posted above?  It is beautiful and organized and wonderful!! Everything I am looking for. Thank you Roger!!!🥰

Agreed!  If you haven't looked at Roger's site, you're missing out! So much useful info!

L.

2 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Above The Retreat there is a seldom visited deck that is great for picture taking. 

I missed this.   Sounds like a place I'd enjoy.  How do you get there?   The stairs by the elevators?    Thx for the tip.

3 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Above The Retreat there is a seldom visited deck that is great for picture taking. Only a few chairs/loungers but no problem getting a space by the rail to get an unobstructed view. I was the only one up there as we left Martinique.

910292353_3Rainbowcabanas.thumb.JPG.3c15f71e2c7ab112c8ee358329abfb33.JPG

30408049_7MountPelee.thumb.JPG.e335b9121bca04f5ef6dd701e7c413f3.JPG

Different angle....

L..

P_20190104_220824_vHDR_Auto.jpg

3 hours ago, shiner6 said:

Oh my goodness, have you seen Roger's site posted above?  It is beautiful and organized and wonderful!! Everything I am looking for. Thank you Roger!!!🥰

My website is a hobby to show my photography but over the years of cruising, I have responded to CC members requests for information and just posted what I have gathered.

There is a balcony outside of the Tamarind Restaurant with a great photo view of what is behind the ship.

FWIW the 7-day cruises to Alaska from either Seattle, or Vancouver, have the same dining menus.  Since I will be on the first cruise to Alaska in April 2022, my website will have all of the Lido Market and MDR menus for the Alaska season.  The Gala Night menus have not changed in years and the second night features surf and turf (lobster and Filet Mignon).  I opt for two lobster tails and skip the beef.  For escargot lovers, request two orders.

If anyone in your party is a scotch/bourbon aficionado, the Notes sampling sessions will be a chance to try some of the great choices in the world.

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/gallery/ms-konigsdam-bars/IMG_2226.jpg

Wine lovers will enjoy the Blend wine tastings.  Happy hour savings are a chance to have a glass of Remy Martin Louis XIII cognac for $105 (have to ask for it since not on bar menu) and get the second glass free.  The Shops sell it for $3199/bottle which includes free refills if you bring the empty crystal bottle to the distillery in France.

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/gallery/ms-nieuw-statendam/IMG_3345.jpg

The free 7-inch diameter chocolate chip cookies at the Dutch Cafe are not to be missed.  They usually run out by mid-afternoon, so stop early.  They are very chewy and buttery, making them very addictive.

I hope these few tips will help in your Koningsdam cruise planning.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Crew News said:

glass of Remy Martin Louis XIII cognac for $105 (have to ask for it since not on bar menu) and get the second glass free. 

I didn't know that! 😱 Shame that its not possible to ask them to 'hold' the second glass until the next evening!

• Like 1

It may be a nice ship but it has a lousy promenade.   I will say even though my inside cabin was small we found it efficient and cozy.  We like everything except overall size and the promenade.  It is a bit big for our tastes

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

How about a Tupperware cup with a tight-fitting lid? 😊

Well, if that is the only option available, then perhaps .............

I will drink the two glasses on the one night.😉

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, shiner6 said:

Roger, Please tell me more about the Notes session-my husband would love this!  Never heard of this before.

The tasting sessions were conducted several times during the week at 6:00 PM for a very few people.  Each bottle has a number tag but not sure who chooses the bottles to be tasted.  Tastings are listed in the daily Where & When you receive each night.  Recommend you ask at the Front Desk as soon as you board the ship.  Cost was $35.

I am supposed to be aboard the sister ship Nieuw Statendam this November and will find out as much info as I can.  Remind me on my "Live from" CC thread that I will conduct during my cruise.

A few of the tasting choices:

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/gallery/ms-nieuw-statendam-onboard-images-1/IMG_3339.jpg

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/gallery/ms-nieuw-statendam-onboard-images-1/IMG_3337.jpg

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vino100 said:

In the ps can you have others over for dinner? I noticed a dining room table , do you know for how many ? 

Yes.  You can have guests for dinner.  I counted at least eight dining chairs in the suite.

The rectangular dining able has four chairs but two more chairs from the breakfast table could be added to the ends to allow six places.  Here is a photo of the breakfast table that I took in PS 7053 on the Koningsdam.

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/gallery/ms-konigsdam-staterooms/IMG_2191.jpg