Favorite items on the buffet...

CGTNORMANDIE

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2021 at 5:35 PM, seamus69 said:

Midnight snack on a ship? 

As a second seating diner, once upon a time--a Midnight snack would be no problem to consume.  As a more senior cruiser, very unwise for me to do so now. 

Walking through the Buffet Restaurant of whatever ship on which I am sailing in recent years, and seeing what's available doesn't inspire me to overindulge.  If I must have "something", a slice of pizza will be welcome.  

Or, why not a piece of fruit from my stateroom's fruit bowl?  

56 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

As a second seating diner, once upon a time--a Midnight snack would be no problem to consume.  As a more senior cruiser, very unwise for me to do so now. 

Walking through the Buffet Restaurant of whatever ship on which I am sailing in recent years, and seeing what's available doesn't inspire me to overindulge.  If I must have "something", a slice of pizza will be welcome.  

Or, why not a piece of fruit from my stateroom's fruit bowl?  

My father and DW always think about fruit or fruit salad at the Midnite held at 1130PM.....

I open to the different opinions.....But to see some people have fruit, piece of cake/cookies, ICE CREAM, small sandwich, SPAGHETTI & MEATBALLS w a glass of ORANGE JUICE....????

Reflux City..........

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

My father and DW always think about fruit or fruit salad at the Midnite held at 1130PM.....

I open to the different opinions.....But to see some people have fruit, piece of cake/cookies, ICE CREAM, small sandwich, SPAGHETTI & MEATBALLS w a glass of ORANGE JUICE....????

Reflux City..........

I have been lucky so far that I can eat a bowl of chili and go right to bed but my DH isn't as lucky.  We eat at 4:00pm at home so he can digest everything fully before bed.  He doesn't usually have trouble on a cruise eating at 6:00 and finishing at 7:30, It must be the exercise of walking around the ship afterwards or the mattresses but we're grateful either way.

4 hours ago, seamus69 said:

I have been lucky so far that I can eat a bowl of chili and go right to bed but my DH isn't as lucky.  We eat at 4:00pm at home so he can digest everything fully before bed.  He doesn't usually have trouble on a cruise eating at 6:00 and finishing at 7:30, It must be the exercise of walking around the ship afterwards or the mattresses but we're grateful either way.

We eat the early setting 630PM so finished by 8. And digested by 11 so a little snack is ok.

But a good Metabolism of Cruise Ship walking and avoiding the elevator does help. Time before last on board after a 13 day cruise I actually came home with only a 2-3 lb gain. I was so happy.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2021 at 12:48 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

But a good Metabolism of Cruise Ship walking and avoiding the elevator does help. Time before last on board after a 13 day cruise I actually came home with only a 2-3 lb gain. I was so happy.

After my 113 day world cruise, I discovered that I gained just a pound or two of weight.  My tux fit as well afterwards as it did before the cruise!  😲

On 6/4/2021 at 9:07 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

But to see some people have fruit, piece of cake/cookies, ICE CREAM, small sandwich, SPAGHETTI & MEATBALLS w a glass of ORANGE JUICE....????

Reflux City..........

Maybe they were entertainers who had not had their dinner?  On HAL ships, frequently the largest classification of patrons in the Lido Restaurant are those entertainers who performed during the evening.  

On 6/4/2021 at 10:10 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Late night means dessert for me.

The special dessert buffets that sometimes are presented are always so tempting and I have to control myself as I graze.  

Every evening when I returned to my YC suite on MSC Meraviglia, there would a plate of some type of dessert type snacks (the macaroons were my favorites) or chocolates along with my huge fruit bowl.  Plus, the pillow chocolates!

The one absolutely over the top evening "dessert" was on the last evening at sea.  A large solid (I guess) chocolate replica of the Meraviglia in its own plastic case.  Lovely to look at.  Quite an original "gift".  But, I thought:  "what in heck am I going to do with this"?   

7 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Maybe they were entertainers who had not had their dinner?  On HAL ships, frequently the largest classification of patrons in the Lido Restaurant are those entertainers who performed during the evening.   

Unfortunately it was a Oriental Lady who was a passenger that we've seen thru out the sailing. Entertainers normally sat at the other end of the Kings Court near Canyon Ranch.

Some people have a constitution such as that so late. Like at home we see people go to the pancake house, diner or chinese food after the late movie. 

5 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Unfortunately it was a Oriental Lady who was a passenger that we've seen thru out the sailing. Entertainers normally sat at the other end of the Kings Court near Canyon Ranch.

Some people have a constitution such as that so late. Like at home we see people go to the pancake house, diner or chinese food after the late movie. 

You just never know.  I remember helping a very nice honeymoon couple.  She had mail de mere the first 2 days out of New York.  I got talking to the husband and learned his wife was sick in bed.  I showed up at their cabin in the morning with Pepto Bismo and Bonnine.  That night I met up with them at the Midnight Buffet and she had a loaded plate!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

You just never know.  I remember helping a very nice honeymoon couple.  She had mail de mere the first 2 days out of New York.  I got talking to the husband and learned his wife was sick in bed.  I showed up at their cabin in the morning with Pepto Bismo and Bonnine.  That night I met up with them at the Midnight Buffet and she had a loaded plate!

Damned auto spell...mal de mere.  It took me two times before it would let me spell mal! 

• Like 1

I have been absent from this thread for awhile.  I have tried to recall a Midnight Buffet that "knocked my socks off".  Royal Viking Sky's presentation on the evening as we rounded the North Cape remains my most significant memory of such an event.  What were the specific items that so impressed?  I wish I could say.  It was my impression of an impressive arrive of Norwegian bakery items along with related meats/salads/vegetables offered.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I honestly cannot remember the last time I attended a midnight buffet.  It has to be years and years and years............

QM2 has one area for what I would call Midnight Snack. A small variety for items, not like the past.

On 6/13/2021 at 5:23 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

QM2 has one area for what I would call Midnight Snack. A small variety for items, not like the past.

That is a good description what HAL ships have offered as well.  A small offering of hot items and cold items with fresh fruits, cheeses, breads, and, usually, the evening's desserts in the MDR.  The Ice Cream station is usually available, but the cookie availability may be slim to not available at that time of night.  

On 6/13/2021 at 5:23 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

This is not a new idea…having a snack in place of a midnight buffet.  The Germans used to offer snacks after 11:00 PM.  And let’s not forget the Italian ships…pizza at 2:00 AM.  The SS France had a small bar in First Class that could be accessed by a staircase from Tourist Class.  The bar served hot dogs, sandwiches and onion soup late at night.  Now we are seeing snacks appearing late night in the buffet area on a number of ships.  

• Like 1