Married People Who Cruise Solo

jimdee3636

On 8/12/2021 at 4:33 PM, NuisanceLuke said:

My husband and I have been married 40+ years--one reason I think our marriage has lasted so long is because we respect each other's need for "alone time."  He goes on solo motorcycle trips, and I go on solo cruises.  We take both cruises and motorcycle trips together, too, and have a lot of fun together, but for our personal "sanity" sometimes we just need to get away from each other.

So true

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

My husband and I travel together and apart. He is not fond of flying but will; I am not fond of hours and hours in a car but will. I have been the main breadwinner with a job that requires longer hours and more stress - and usually am the one to deal with kids' medical stuff, school stuff, etc. I truly cherish my time away from work and family as a mental break and the "me" time I don't get otherwise.

He does his "mancations" to places he really wants to see and explore that I am not as interested in - or would want to spend a few hours visiting while he could spend a day (or more *cough* Cooperstown *cough*), usually travelling for hours in a car to get places and seeing a baseball game or two on the way there or back. [note: I love baseball and when we do travel together if it's the right time of the year, we do go see games together, but for me that shouldn't be the whole reason for a trip/vacation.]

I do my solo vacations, and after years of solo Disneyland vacations or going early to conferences to check out big cities like Atlanta and Dallas, I am now hooked on going solo cruising. I do not get the internet package and depending on the itinerary may have spotty cell coverage in port. Work cannot reach me. I cannot be texted asking about what's for dinner, where the dog food is, etc. I can choose when to have dinner, what to read, when to sleep in, if I'm going to the glow party, what I want to see in port, what shows to see, etc. 

While I am friendly and go to a few meet ups so I know a few people - and have made friends while cruising that I still keep in touch with -  I'm not there to find someone to hang out with all the time (or to hook up with), because that's the opposite of why I'm on the cruise. I like being able to know a few people I can say hello to, sit next to at a show or when at the buffet, etc. and it does make me feel safer knowing a few people.

So yes, as many others have said, there are a lot of married people of all ages who cruise solo for a variety of reasons, I thought I'd share that mine is to shed my daily stressors and completely chill.

• Like 6

I've traveled solo quite often during my 20+ year marriage.  My husband doesn't enjoy international travel as I do, so I've done almost all of that alone.  That said, he loves cruising so I can usually count on him joining me onboard.  This year, he isn't ready to travel (COVID-wise) so I'm taking my first solo cruise, combined with 2 weeks island hopping in Greece.  I can't wait!!!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I have started solo cruising this year largely due to my husband‘s encouragement. He has been on three cruises and figured out he just doesn’t like it all that much, and he doesn’t want his spend his vacation time on a cruise ship. He still works, I’m semi-retired, he wants me to go and travel while I can. Once I got over the guilt, I embraced the experience!

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Cruise Kay said:

I have started solo cruising this year largely due to my husband‘s encouragement. He has been on three cruises and figured out he just doesn’t like it all that much, and he doesn’t want his spend his vacation time on a cruise ship. He still works, I’m semi-retired, he wants me to go and travel while I can. Once I got over the guilt, I embraced the experience!

I enjoy getting some intrusive question like "your spouse trusts you on a cruise alone?"  Answer is always, of course, doesn't yours?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 5/27/2022 at 7:52 PM, billslowsky said:

I enjoy getting some intrusive question like "your spouse trusts you on a cruise alone?"  Answer is always, of course, doesn't yours?

Good comeback! 👍  Still, how do you handle social situations with members of the opposite sex?  The kind usually done with one's partner or trusted friends, like dancing.  For instance, there's a band playing, and someone asks to dance with you.  (Meaning classy swing or Latin, not trashy grinding.)  Or conversely, you're in the mood to hit the dance floor, and ask someone yourself.  Cruising and dancing go together like macaroni and cheese, after all.

Do you accept the dance invites and/or initiate them yourself?  If yes, how do you vet new people, to make sure they know that a dance is just that, and will under no circumstances lead to the horizontal kind?  (I'm sure the vetting is more relevant for women than for men.)

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

8 hours ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

Good comeback! 👍  Still, how do you handle social situations with members of the opposite sex?  The kind usually done with one's partner or trusted friends, like dancing.  For instance, there's a band playing, and someone asks to dance with you.  (Meaning classy swing or Latin, not trashy grinding.)  Or conversely, you're in the mood to hit the dance floor, and ask someone yourself.  Cruising and dancing go together like macaroni and cheese, after all.

Do you accept the dance invites and/or initiate them yourself?  If yes, how do you vet new people, to make sure they know that a dance is just that, and will under no circumstances lead to the horizontal kind?  (I'm sure the vetting is more relevant for women than for men.)

Not a dancer personally,  but on those few occasions with my wife there is some feeling of at least closeness if not some intimacy, so if I were ever asked I would decline.  

And after plenty of years involved in youth organizations,  I also have that "avoid 1:1 situations where appearances might be distorted ". 

I guess that's part of why my wife trusts me.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

That’s a personal call. I would not dance with a stranger and would not be ok if my husband did, either.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have done Vegas solo a number of times over the years.

I just retired 2 weeks ago & keep stumbling on some tremendous solo deals.

During golf league, DH will take ONE trip but prefers no more.

SO solo it is! 

1st solo cruise (after 18 together) next month. 

I'm social with all sorts of people. 

But I learned a long time ago in Vegas to bring DH up in conversation if I ever got the feeling a gentleman had interest beyond conversation. Even had one guy say "Guess we aren't having sex tonight, you seem happily married."

Yep, VERY. And I intend to keep it that way😍

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 5/27/2022 at 8:52 PM, billslowsky said:

I am shocked at the amount of people, especially women, who are Shocked that I travel without my husband! They can't understand that he trust's me and that I trust him.

Edited by sandrajean123
  • Like 2

On 5/29/2022 at 12:46 AM, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

I don't dance and frankly no 1 asked me. I still like to sit and listen to the music and have a soda but that's it. I'm just not interested.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I’m happy married and 50 years old I love travelling but my hubby is not keen on long haul, but I want to see South America etc. Did recently cruise Japan in 2019 with my daughter and due to cruise to New Zealand in November on Eclipse with my son, they are getting older and don’t want to be dragged to places by Mum and want to holiday with partners and friends etc.  Are single cruises safe as I’d love to see so much of the world but I’m scared to go alone. My friends hate the thought of cruising but I love it. 

• Like 3

I think cruising is one of the safest ways to travel alone. You're in a state room which is checked on and cleaned twice a day by your attendant, who will certainly notice if you fail to return to your room or if you don't come out of your room all day. There's a medical staff on board, which obviously would not be the same situation in a hotel. All of your meals are at hand so you're not wandering the streets looking for an Uber to go find food or groceries. You're not exposed to countless rounds of strangers every time you go out to eat. The scenery comes to you, you just walk off the ship and there you are. I do feel that the danger escalates anytime you leave the ship and explore port on your own, but of course to each his own. There are plenty of safe ports to wander, and of course there are always group excursions to join. Common sense goes a long way, obviously.

But a cruise ship is so much better than drifting from hotel room to hotel room as you see the world. The staff can become a little family and look after you. And if you need something, guest services will certainly try their best to accommodate.

I was on a 12 day transatlantic last month, and developed an eye emergency. I was seeing a big black spot in my vision and had flashes of light in my eye, which can signal a torn retina. And a torn retina needs immediate surgery. This happened right at dinner time. The medical staff on board the ship arranged for me to see an eye doctor the next day in Spain, which was our last stop at land for five days. I was very upset and scared, since I was traveling alone. I had visions of being dumped in Spain with all my bags to go have eye surgery by myself. But the silver lining was that the medical staff took care of everything. All I had to do was go back to my room and wait for a phone call letting me know what time my appointment was the next day.

They gave me a card with the address of the eye doctor on it and called the cab for me the next morning. none of this would've happened at a hotel of course, since they do not have medical staff. The eye doctor did a great job and thankfully everything was fine. The eye doctor staff called a cab for me which took me back to the ship. My attendant and waiter and assistant waiter were on pins and needles waiting to hear if I was OK. My attendant cheered in relief. He told me he was so worried about me that he had spoken to his supervisor about the situation. It was very touching.  anyway, two things I learned from that was, always buy medical insurance. and make sure you're on a ship with a great staff and always take time to get to know your staff since you're traveling alone especially. They care.  Good luck on your travels and enjoy.  

Edited by Cruise Kay
  • Like 8

On 10/27/2022 at 5:34 AM, Zipp2105 said:

I’m happy married and 50 years old I love travelling but my hubby is not keen on long haul, but I want to see South America etc. Did recently cruise Japan in 2019 with my daughter and due to cruise to New Zealand in November on Eclipse with my son, they are getting older and don’t want to be dragged to places by Mum and want to holiday with partners and friends etc.  Are single cruises safe as I’d love to see so much of the world but I’m scared to go alone. My friends hate the thought of cruising but I love it. 

I'd be careful of a singles cruise. You want to go solo And that means any cruise ship.

On 10/30/2022 at 10:01 PM, Cruise Kay said:

I think cruising is one of the safest ways to travel alone. You're in a state room which is checked on and cleaned twice a day by your attendant, who will certainly notice if you fail to return to your room or if you don't come out of your room all day. There's a medical staff on board, which obviously would not be the same situation in a hotel. All of your meals are at hand so you're not wandering the streets looking for an Uber to go find food or groceries. You're not exposed to countless rounds of strangers every time you go out to eat. The scenery comes to you, you just walk off the ship and there you are. I do feel that the danger escalates anytime you leave the ship and explore port on your own, but of course to each his own. There are plenty of safe ports to wander, and of course there are always group excursions to join. Common sense goes a long way, obviously.

But a cruise ship is so much better than drifting from hotel room to hotel room as you see the world. The staff can become a little family and look after you. And if you need something, guest services will certainly try their best to accommodate.

I was on a 12 day transatlantic last month, and developed an eye emergency. I was seeing a big black spot in my vision and had flashes of light in my eye, which can signal a torn retina. And a torn retina needs immediate surgery. This happened right at dinner time. The medical staff on board the ship arranged for me to see an eye doctor the next day in Spain, which was our last stop at land for five days. I was very upset and scared, since I was traveling alone. I had visions of being dumped in Spain with all my bags to go have eye surgery by myself. But the silver lining was that the medical staff took care of everything. All I had to do was go back to my room and wait for a phone call letting me know what time my appointment was the next day.

They gave me a card with the address of the eye doctor on it and called the cab for me the next morning. none of this would've happened at a hotel of course, since they do not have medical staff. The eye doctor did a great job and thankfully everything was fine. The eye doctor staff called a cab for me which took me back to the ship. My attendant and waiter and assistant waiter were on pins and needles waiting to hear if I was OK. My attendant cheered in relief. He told me he was so worried about me that he had spoken to his supervisor about the situation. It was very touching.  anyway, two things I learned from that was, always buy medical insurance. and make sure you're on a ship with a great staff and always take time to get to know your staff since you're traveling alone especially. They care.  Good luck on your travels and enjoy.  

It sounds wonderful that you were treated with respect and dignity at a very scary time. Great great great

My partner and I travel solo for 2 reasons. We each have elderly widowed parents with health issues we don't want to leave with no one to call on for help,plus we have a rescue dog with issues that we can't expect a kennel or dog sitter to deal with. So if we didn't travel solo we'd never go anywhere. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Steddiguy said:

My partner and I travel solo for 2 reasons. We each have elderly widowed parents with health issues we don't want to leave with no one to call on for help,plus we have a rescue dog with issues that we can't expect a kennel or dog sitter to deal with. So if we didn't travel solo we'd never go anywhere. 

I would never leave my cat in a kennel. That's why it's great that I can travel and  my husband stays home.

Edited by sandrajean123

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2022 at 8:57 AM, Boatingmom said:

First solo cruise to Panama Canal in February. Husband would rather golf. Bye bye👋🏼

After this I'm planning on Italy and Greece.  

I  figure  I cant wait around. Have to

see the world while I am relatively healthy and mobile.

LOL sounds familiar....

• Like 1

I take a trip a year since my husband hunts and goes black-diamond skiing without me.  This year I took my first Solo cruise at his suggestion and have another in Jan 23.  It is great!  Not too much thinking about where to eat, comfy bed and balcony, and I can do as much or as little as I like.

PM

• Like 1

My wife and I have been married for 34 years. I retired back in April but she can't retire for another 3 years. She enjoys cruising, but doesn't have the free time that I do. We have a back to back booked on the Icon of the Seas in September 2024 and wanted to get to Diamond status before that trip. To that end, I am taking a 12 night solo cruise on the Anthem at the end of January 2023. I'm booked solo in a regular cabin to get those double points. 

How do those of you who have cruised solo before handle dinners? Do you eat solo or do you try to meet someone on the ship? Does Royal typically assign solo cruisers to the same tables, or are they seated solo?

• Like 1

On 12/4/2022 at 12:35 PM, Blakejen100 said:

My wife and I have been married for 34 years. I retired back in April but she can't retire for another 3 years. She enjoys cruising, but doesn't have the free time that I do. We have a back to back booked on the Icon of the Seas in September 2024 and wanted to get to Diamond status before that trip. To that end, I am taking a 12 night solo cruise on the Anthem at the end of January 2023. I'm booked solo in a regular cabin to get those double points. 

How do those of you who have cruised solo before handle dinners? Do you eat solo or do you try to meet someone on the ship? Does Royal typically assign solo cruisers to the same tables, or are they seated solo?

I travel Holland America and they put me at a table with other solo cruises. I choose a table for 6. So far so good. You're only at the table for about an hour and 1⁄2 and it's good to see people while you're cruising that you recognize. Nice to say hello.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/4/2022 at 11:35 AM, Blakejen100 said:

Usually they ask if I want to dine alone or with others. If they don't, be proactive & ask.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to find this thread. My wife is pushing me to take a vacation solo to try to de-stress  from a tough year work wise, but she can't get away. I've been very hesitant as I wasn't sure if others really did this much but it seems that it's more common than I ever realized. Can I ask if you all end up in some of the ships that have solo/studio cabins, or are there "solo" rates sometimes, or just pay the double occupancy? We've done 13 cruises together but I've no idea really on where to start for a solo adventure. Usually we go balcony so I have a quiet "personal" space to sit and read or just stare at the water but from what I see studio type cabins are all inside.

• Like 1