Jumping in the ocean....

KingsQueen13

So my husband and I booked an Alaskan Cruise for Sept 2022. As we were going through our excursion options today he asked me where he could jump in the ocean. I told him I had no freaking clue where he’d be able to do that. Yes, my husband is crazy. I told him about how I went snorkeling in Ketchikan last time I was there. He wanted to go but our cruise doesn’t take us to Ketchikan this time around. So anyway, does anyone have any suggestions or tips of getting him in the water without getting arrested? Our ports of call will be Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point and Victoria. Thanks for any and all help :)

3 hours ago, KingsQueen13 said:

He just wants to be able to say he went in the ocean while we were in Alaska. He has a habit of running into water fully clothed because he thinks it’s funny and he truly enjoys the cold. 

Has he actually researched the water temperatures in Alaska. From memory it is less than 5 C, which gives a survivability of about 1/2 hr.

If you do an adventure cruise to Antarctica, you are given the opportunity to do what the call the Polar Plunge where you jump off the boarding platform into the Antarctic sea.  Several people on our cruise did it.  One couple did it holding hands.  Another guy did a back flip.  I declined.  I will add that they put sort of a harness on you just in case they have to haul you back in.

DON

The smaller cruise ships allow this. We were on a small ship cruise and folks were jumping from the ship at Punchbowl Cove in Misty Fjords, quickly getting back on the boat. They also offered water skiing behind a skiff. None of the passengers skied but the crew loved it and put on a good little show. Not wet/dry suits, just the normal swim suit with a lot of goose pimples.

In Juneau you could try Savikko Park (Sandy Beach). There are some (few) that swim there. About a 10 minute drive from downtown over to Douglas Island.

On 4/20/2021 at 5:40 PM, KingsQueen13 said:

So my husband and I booked an Alaskan Cruise for Sept 2022. As we were going through our excursion options today he asked me where he could jump in the ocean. I told him I had no freaking clue where he’d be able to do that. Yes, my husband is crazy. I told him about how I went snorkeling in Ketchikan last time I was there. He wanted to go but our cruise doesn’t take us to Ketchikan this time around. So anyway, does anyone have any suggestions or tips of getting him in the water without getting arrested? Our ports of call will be Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point and Victoria. Thanks for any and all help 🙂

Yup, do believe that you're husband is crazy!! I don't ever plan on tryin swimmin in Alaska.

• Like 1

The breakwater at Ogden Point near the cruise terminal in Victoria provieds an easy access to the water.  It will be chilly (about 50 degrees) but quite bearable for a few minutes of splashing around.  I used to live in Victoria and have done this but must say it is not a great choice for a casual swimmer!

On 4/20/2021 at 8:40 PM, KingsQueen13 said:

So my husband and I booked an Alaskan Cruise for Sept 2022. As we were going through our excursion options today he asked me where he could jump in the ocean. I told him I had no freaking clue where he’d be able to do that. Yes, my husband is crazy. I told him about how I went snorkeling in Ketchikan last time I was there. He wanted to go but our cruise doesn’t take us to Ketchikan this time around. So anyway, does anyone have any suggestions or tips of getting him in the water without getting arrested? Our ports of call will be Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point and Victoria. Thanks for any and all help 🙂

My BF would totally do this too!  I totally understand.  We're going September 2022 (assuming 2021 cancels) too.  We're going to Juneau, Ketchikan Skagway and Victoria.  

Thanks for all the comments! 

He literally just wants to jump in, not gonna be in there more than 2 minutes, so I’m not too worried about the survivability. Looks like we’ll shoot for Icy Straight Point or Victoria, since we don’t have any excursions planned for Victoria as of yet. Hubby classifies himself as Polar Bear who lives for cold water. 

We’ve often joked about hip-checking one another off the side of a cruise ship. That’s not how I want this to happen though 😂  

• Like 2

On 4/28/2021 at 10:52 AM, KingsQueen13 said:

Thanks for all the comments! 

He literally just wants to jump in, not gonna be in there more than 2 minutes, so I’m not too worried about the survivability. Looks like we’ll shoot for Icy Straight Point or Victoria, since we don’t have any excursions planned for Victoria as of yet. Hubby classifies himself as Polar Bear who lives for cold water. 

We’ve often joked about hip-checking one another off the side of a cruise ship. That’s not how I want this to happen though 😂  

You're very welcome...happy to have suggested it. You'll see how easy it will be from where I mentioned in my post.

• 3 weeks later...