vaccines for children

51st FMS

We are booked for a family cruise this summer  and I know it's still up in the air if we'll go or not.  My question is if children under 16 will have to have the vaccine before boarding?  I'm sure that if the age is lowered for kids to be able to get the shot, they will be required to have it, but if the age is not lowered what happens then?  Will they be allowed to board?

I'm happy with the policy of RC and Celebrity, which requires all passengers over the ages of 18 to be fully vaccinated and passengers under the age of 18 need a negative test.  I also think its perfectly reasonable for lines like Silversea to require all passengers to be vaccinated, since they are not primarily family lines.  I'm not happy with Norwegian because they require all passengers to be vaccinated and I think only adults should be required to be vaccinated, and that's a family line.  On the other hand, my family isn't going on a cruise until it is safer for my kids so I guess it doesn't matter much anyway.

Celebrity

Who needs the vaccine: Guests 18 and older must be vaccinated at least two weeks before boarding. Those under 18 (and older than 2 years old) will be required to show proof of a negative RT-PCR test. 

Cunard's initial cruises will be open only to UK residents who are fully vaccinated at least seven days before boarding. Voyages departing on the Queen Elizabeth after Oct. 2, departing on Queen Mary 2 after Nov. 13, and departing on Queen Victoria after Aug. 28 will not carry the vaccine requirement.

Royal Caribbean Guests 18 and older will be required to be fully vaccinated at least 14 days before boarding. Guests under 18 must show proof of a negative RT-PCR test.

Norwegian

All guests will be required to be fully vaccinated at least two weeks before boarding for sailings through at least Oct. 31.

P&O All guests who plan to join one of the summer UK sailings must be vaccinated at least seven days before boarding.

Princess All guests will be required to be fully vaccinated at least seven days before boarding a "Summer Seacations" cruise. There is currently no vaccination requirement for other Princess Cruises going forward.

Regent All guests and crew must be fully vaccinated at least two weeks before boarding.

Seaborn All guests on the summer Greece sailings must be fully vaccinated at least 14 days before boarding.

Silversea All guests and crew must be fully vaccinated before boarding, except for cruises departing from Australia.

Viking

All guests must be fully vaccinated to board one of the summer cruises.

Virgin All passengers will be required to be vaccinated at least two weeks before boarding the summer UK sailings.

Oceana

all guests will be required to be fully vaccinated at least two weeks before boarding.

Crystal will require all guests to be fully vaccinated at least 14 days before boarding

https://www.travelandleisure.com/cruises/cruises-that-allow-vaccinated-travelers

In the USA, UNDER 16 cannot yet get a vaccine at this point in time.  And, considering that if the adults, who are more likely to have adverse affects from the virus would be protected by THEIR vaccine, and children are not likely to catch or spread it.....seems to be little point in vaccinating kids.

On 4/26/2021 at 6:16 PM, cb at sea said:

In the USA, UNDER 16 cannot yet get a vaccine at this point in time.  And, considering that if the adults, who are more likely to have adverse affects from the virus would be protected by THEIR vaccine, and children are not likely to catch or spread it.....seems to be little point in vaccinating kids.

What does this have to do with the OP's question?  Also from CB:  "Masks don't make sense to me" and from last year  "This is not as bad as it's being made out to be."  

• Like 2

I see you are on a Princess cruise departing from LA?  CDC requirements for ship departing from a US port currently require 95% of the passengers and 98% of the crew be vaccinated.  It appears that Carnival has not yet released an official statement regarding vaccine requirements.  Many other cruise lines require that everyone boarding be vaccinated, which would mean no children under 16 at this writing.

I see some nonsense from a certain poster is still being spread!  I am working as a Contact Tracer and can only tell you I have spoken to many parents of very sick children who have indeed had COVID-19 and have infected the rest of the family.

Edited by 6rugrats
  • Like 1