Would you go iv everyone is not vacinated?

Tennessee Titan

Would you go on a cruise where everyone is NOT vaccinated?  

419 members have voted

1. 1. Would you go on a cruise where everyone is NOT vaccinated?

• Yes
    • No

5 minutes ago, NapTown Jim said:

I'm vaccinated and have no problem sitting next to someone who is not.  

Would you have no problem being with that person for 7 to 21 days within the confines of a cruise ship which does contact tracing?

• Like 2

I’d consider a cruise which allowed unvaccinated people.

I would not have a problem having to wear a mask in public areas.

My issue is what if an unvaccinated person develops Covid, will I as a vaccinated person then be confined to my cabin. If the answer is yes, then I’m not going.  

I have a final payment due in July and if HAL can not answer that question definitively, which I don’t believe they will, I’ll be cancelling my fall TA cruise and putting those funds toward the Alaska cruise of June 2022 I have booked.

• Thanks 1

Looking at a beautiful BBQ in Moorea that was posted on the Daily thread brought something else to mind in mixing vaccinated and unvaccinated.

How on earth are they going to conduct the shore excursions?  Probably half of the excursions offered feature some type of shared food experience.  Doing away with that would be a huge revenue loss for the cruise lines.  Surely unvaccinated people wouldn't want to partake of a shared BBQ spread.  🤔

It really does seem like they need to have every single "best practice" in place in order to conduct their business.

• Like 1

I would be okay with most people being vaccinated and those with a narrow list of legitimate medical reasons not to be vaccinated to have permission to join.    However, people who don't want to get a shot without a legitimate medical reason can just stay home until the pandemic is over.  My hope would be that the exceptions would be minimal (pregnant women, for example) and that the requirement involve certification of a medical condition.   Plus, I would like the cruise like to be upfront and supply everyone going on board with a head count of the number of people who have the medical exemption.   Perhaps, set aside a dining area for those with medical exemptions and those traveling with them.   Come up with a way to co-exist with those few with medical conditions.   In short, a vaccination requirement with an asterisk for exceptions, would be my comfort level.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, papadave said:

I would be okay with most people being vaccinated and those with a narrow list of legitimate medical reasons not to be vaccinated to have permission to join.    However, people who don't want to get a shot without a legitimate medical reason can just stay home until the pandemic is over.  My hope would be that the exceptions would be minimal (pregnant women, for example) and that the requirement involve certification of a medical condition.   Plus, I would like the cruise like to be upfront and supply everyone going on board with a head count of the number of people who have the medical exemption.   Perhaps, set aside a dining area for those with medical exemptions and those traveling with them.   Come up with a way to co-exist with those few with medical conditions.   In short, a vaccination requirement with an asterisk for exceptions, would be my comfort level.

In a perfect world, that would be fine.  Even though someone may have a valid medical reason for not being vaccinated, that increases the probability that they may get sick with Covid-19 and suffer severe disease and/or death, thus ending the cruise.  I am presuming that the reason why an individual has a legitimate health reason for not taking the vaccine may also have the co-morbidities that exacerbate Covid infections.

Can't those who won't or can't get vaccinated wait a little longer until this disease is under full control?  In the meantime wanting to jeopardizing the plans of those who did accept the vaccine?

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

In a perfect world, that would be fine.  Even though someone may have a valid medical reason for not being vaccinated, that increases the probability that they may get sick with Covid-19 and suffer severe disease and/or death, thus ending the cruise.  I am presuming that the reason why an individual has a legitimate health reason for not taking the vaccine may also have the co-morbidities that exacerbate Covid infections.

Can't those who won't or can't get vaccinated wait a little longer until this disease is under full control?  In the meantime wanting to jeopardizing the plans of those who did accept the vaccine?

+1

56 minutes ago, papadave said:

Here is another take on this subject.  I have lung disease.  I suffer if I need to breathe through a mask for extended time periods.  I am not demanding that cruise lines grant me an exception because of this.  I just recognize that I won't sail until mask mandates are gone.  I don't begrudge those who are willing to wear a mask during a cruise, I just can't and won't.  I will patiently wait my turn to get back on a wonderful cruise.  Why can't the unvaccinated see this?

• Like 11

Daniel A --

There are a lot of people who don't believe that either a mask or a vaccine is a good idea.  We go far off topic for this thread trying to argue the validity of that position.   All I am saying is that we don't need to have a rule without sensible exceptions made out of necessity.  

I'm a qualified yes.  Vaccination is not a panacea; it's part of an overall strategy that includes the common sense measures that we've been promoted but not followed very well since the beginning of the pandemic.  Places that have followed those measures have done much better than the rest of the world and some places have even had successful cruises (mostly in Asia) despite NOBODY being vaccinated.

I think for the present cruising in the Western Hemisphere without vaccinated passengers is hopeless.  I am more willing to sail with unvaccinated crew if necessary.  Two distinctions:  There's a much more limited availability of vaccines in most of the countries crew come from so there's a limit of access.  I think all cruise lines have figured out and implemented the protocols needed to keep crew covid-free over the past 14 months and can continue to do so even once passengers are welcomed back on board.  The other thing is that a cruise can happen without passengers who cannot/will not be vaccinated but a crew is necessary regardless.

I do not want unvaccinated passengers on board, not even kids, and I am glad to see Crystal is proceeding that way.  People who cannot/will not be vaccinated, and people who cannot/will not comply fully with the tried and true mitigation measures should wait to cruise (and that likely includes me until I get my heart/breathing problems straightened out) but I am willing to cruise with some crew who are still waiting to get their jabs.

Roy

• Like 3

I'm in the 'want everyone vaccinated' category. Not as much because of my concerns about catching Covid. Its more a matter of what happens to my cruise vacation, if we have an outbreak of Covid. While vaccinated people can get Covid, the instance of breakthrough infections is much lower than in the unvaccinated population. That is one area that I have not seen a great deal of information about from the cruise lines themselves. What happens when there is a case of Covid on the ship? What protocols are invoked if its say 1, 5, 10 or more folks?  Is my vacation now over? If there are unvaccinated travelers on the ship does that limit the number of ports we can visit and the activities we can undertake in said ports? 

There are just too many unknowns at this point for me to take a cruise this year. I've evaluated the risk vs benefit and I see more risk at this point due to all the unknowns. I applaud the those who will be the guinea pigs on the first cruises this year. I hope they all go well, but I want to see how they are handled and what is reported by those passengers about their experience.

We are going to look to do something land based, probably without leaving the country, later this year, just to get out and away for awhile. 

Our first booked cruise is not until February 2022. So we will observing how things progress until final payment is due. 

Edited by drowelf
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, NapTown Jim said:

I'm vaccinated and have no problem sitting next to someone who is not.  

Same.

I got vaccinated so I can sit next to unvaccinated people.  Why else would I get vaccinated?  Sure it's not 100% certain (nothing is, except death and taxes, I think) but I'm willing to take my chances......If I did not feel comfortable with that, I would choose to stay at home and not sit next to people.

Not living in fear, just living my life freely....

Smooth sailing to all......

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Here is another take on this subject.  I have lung disease.  I suffer if I need to breathe through a mask for extended time periods.  I am not demanding that cruise lines grant me an exception because of this.  I just recognize that I won't sail until mask mandates are gone.  I don't begrudge those who are willing to wear a mask during a cruise, I just can't and won't.  I will patiently wait my turn to get back on a wonderful cruise.  Why can't the unvaccinated see this?

You could use a shield  & they are available for purchase on amazon.com  .I use one in the GYM & I m vaccinated 

5 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

You could use a shield  & they are available for purchase on amazon.com  .I use one in the GYM & I m vaccinated 

Thanks for the advice.  I do seem to recall reading somewhere that the feds say a face shield is not an acceptable substitute for a cloth mask.  Thank you for thinking of me.

4 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Thanks for the advice.  I do seem to recall reading somewhere that the feds say a face shield is not an acceptable substitute for a cloth mask.  Thank you for thinking of me.

If a person is vaccinated imo it is a fine substitute  for the mask  .I would not be able to breathe is a gym with a mask & when working out you need more oxygen 

to answer the forum question ,we will not cruise if the ship is not vaccinated ^ if we had to wear masks  in public spaces . I don't need to wear a mask  at home . The only time i wear my mask is when shopping  .The problems I see on a cruise ship is many wearing masks  in the dining room ,t in  the swimming pool or jacuzzi   ,the gym & bars   .Even having to wear a mask in the theatre would be annoying ,  Thus ,if the entire ship was   not vaccinated  & or masks were mandated ,we would not cruise until those  were reversed by any cruise line

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Himself said:

I do not believe in mandated vaccinations and would gladly go if all are not vaccinated.  

Would it not bother you if, assuming the crew is not fully vaccinated, that you also are putting the crew and staff at risk?

• Like 3

Here's a lesson from a tourist resort...

"Whistler, Dawson Creek express fears and frustrations as COVID-19 variants rapidly spreads...

Dr. Cathy Zeglinski said she's lived in Whistler for the last 30 years. She expressed her concerns and frustrations in a letter to the local paper when she started noticing the coronavirus variant affecting young and healthy people in Whistler.

"Most people in Whistler know one person or more who is currently in the hospital," Zeglinski said on the CBC's On the Coast. "I know several ... and it's something we never experienced for an entire year."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/tourism-community-covid-concern-1.6000783

2 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Same.

I got vaccinated so I can sit next to unvaccinated people.  Why else would I get vaccinated?  Sure it's not 100% certain (nothing is, except death and taxes, I think) but I'm willing to take my chances......If I did not feel comfortable with that, I would choose to stay at home and not sit next to people.

Not living in fear, just living my life freely....

Smooth sailing to all......

No, the reason I got vaccinated is so we can hopefully put this behind us by reaching herd immunity.  I did it for the greater good and to take the pressure off of hospitals.  I’m not living in fear.  Doing it so I can sit next to unvaccinated people wasn’t on my radar.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, drowelf said:

“...Its more a matter of what happens to my cruise vacation, if we have an outbreak of Covid. While vaccinated people can get Covid, the instance of breakthrough infections is much lower than in the unvaccinated population. That is one area that I have not seen a great deal of information about from the cruise lines themselves. What happens when there is a case of Covid on the ship? What protocols are invoked if its say 1, 5, 10 or more folks?  Is my vacation now over? If there are unvaccinated travelers on the ship does that limit the number of ports we can visit and the activities we can undertake in said ports? ....”

I agree these questions need to be answered to give clarity on what to expect. I know public indoor dining greatly increases risk. I wish there was a creative way to minimize this risk if, and for now it appears they will, they allow unvaccinated passengers to cruise. I was happy that they have addressed ventilation on board. https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/news/coronavirus-travel-advisory/traveling-and-staying-healthy.html

16 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

No, the reason I got vaccinated is so we can hopefully put this behind us by reaching herd immunity.  I did it for the greater good and to take the pressure off of hospitals.  I’m not living in fear.  Doing it so I can sit next to unvaccinated people wasn’t on my radar.

I have had numerous discussions with loved ones on this very topic. I wish leadership would communicate in a clear manner why certain things are still not recommended in a public setting! For me, I’m familiar with and probably spend a bit more time than I should reading up on variants and the potential of transmissibility, so even after being fully vaccinated will continue to follow certain public practices until more of the community is vaccinated. But other loved ones are adamant that they didn’t get vaccinated so they could continue to act as if they aren’t. I understand their point, they see some of the guidance as double-speak. I really wish leaders would do a better job explaining in very clear, concise terms that while vaccines work, the reason certain things should still be done in public for the time being. 

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 2