Would you go iv everyone is not vacinated?

Tennessee Titan

Would you go on a cruise where everyone is NOT vaccinated?  

419 members have voted

1. 1. Would you go on a cruise where everyone is NOT vaccinated?

• Yes
    • No

6 minutes ago, syesmar said:

I have had numerous discussions with loved ones on this very topic. I wish leadership would communicate in a clear manner why certain things are still not recommended in a public setting! For me, I’m familiar with and probably spend a bit more time than I should reading up on variants and the potential of transmissibility, so even after being fully vaccinated will continue to follow certain public practices until more of the community is vaccinated. But other loved ones are adamant that they didn’t get vaccinated so they could continue to act as if they aren’t. I understand their point, they see some of the guidance as double-speak. I really wish leaders would do a better job explaining in very clear, concise terms that while vaccines work, the reason certain things should still be done in public for the time being. 

Yes, I’ve only had one shot so far.  I still “act” as if I haven’t had any I will continue to do so.  I’m for sure on the cautious side.  Others I know, not so much.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, syesmar said:

I have had numerous discussions with loved ones on this very topic. I wish leadership would communicate in a clear manner why certain things are still not recommended in a public setting! For me, I’m familiar with and probably spend a bit more time than I should reading up on variants and the potential of transmissibility, so even after being fully vaccinated will continue to follow certain public practices until more of the community is vaccinated. But other loved ones are adamant that they didn’t get vaccinated so they could continue to act as if they aren’t. I understand their point, they see some of the guidance as double-speak. I really wish leaders would do a better job explaining in very clear, concise terms that while vaccines work, the reason certain things should still be done in public for the time being. 

Probably if they were honest -- and I wish they were! -- they would just say that with only 25% of the US fully vaccinated, it would lead to too much confusion if a mask recommendation was lifted.  Who is vaccinated?  Who isn't?  Who is removing the mask and just saying they are vaccinated?   Why is my local grocery store still requiring masks?

People in charge of public health have to take into account all kinds of people doing all sorts of things.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/21/covid-19-cases-deaths-vaccinations-daily-update.html

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

You could use a shield  & they are available for purchase on amazon.com  .I use one in the GYM & I m vaccinated 

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Thanks for the advice.  I do seem to recall reading somewhere that the feds say a face shield is not an acceptable substitute for a cloth mask.  Thank you for thinking of me.

I found what I read.  According to CDC:  "CDC does not recommend using face shields or goggles as a substitute for masks. Goggles or other eye protection may be used in addition to a mask."

COVID-19: Considerations for Wearing Masks | CDC

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

I found what I read.  According to CDC:  "CDC does not recommend using face shields or goggles as a substitute for masks. Goggles or other eye protection may be used in addition to a mask."

COVID-19: Considerations for Wearing Masks | CDC

These situations early on in Europe were very informative. Hotel workers who only wore shields weren’t nearly as protected as those who wore masks: 

https://www.insider.com/face-shields-did-not-protect-people-from-coronavirus-swiss-outbreak-2020-7

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

Probably if they were honest -- and I wish they were! -- they would just say that with only 25% of the US fully vaccinated, it would lead to too much confusion if a mask recommendation was lifted.  Who is vaccinated?  Who isn't?  Who is removing the mask and just saying they are vaccinated?   Why is my local grocery store still requiring masks?

People in charge of public health have to take into account all kinds of people doing all sorts of things.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/21/covid-19-cases-deaths-vaccinations-daily-update.html

Agree that the A-to-Z logistics of phasing / gating is much more complicated than my arm chair view! They tried this approach of giving specific details with the Gating Criteria for re-opening and were mortified when some Governors and Mayors didn’t follow the guidelines at all. Very few waited for 14 days of a downward trajectory to move on to another phase. 

Happy (future) Travels to All!

Yup, booked yesterday!  I’m fully vaccinated and can’t wait to go!  I’ll get a booster every 6 months if I have to.  I wish everyone would do it, but I can’t help what everyone else will or won’t do.   Although if they refuse to get vaccinated then get sick, they should be put off on the next port.  Kinda like walk the plank!  Stopping the cruise and returning, that’s just a big ol bummer.

9 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I do seem to recall reading somewhere that the feds say a face shield is not an acceptable substitute for a cloth mask.

My most recent visit to my PCP in the middle of this month, I observed his entire staff, including himself, wearing only a face shield.  I was surprised at what I saw.

I compare that to a year ago when I made a regular visit.  He appeared in the examining room fully dressed--head to toe--in all of the protective gear that was available.  I thought:  My God, I must be contagious!  I had no symptoms of Covid.  I was only there for a regular 3 month check-up.  

28 minutes ago, SFO PETER said:

EU Vaccination requirement article from New York Times

967836588_EUVisit(1).thumb.jpeg.ddea6e74edd28b328fbaf6e65fb22faf.jpeg

This allows and/or forces HAL to require anyone cruising in the EU be fully vaccinated. And I for one, am totally fine with that. 

• Like 2

As long as there is covid testing on cruises, there will be covid on cruises and for some time to come.  If there was rapid covid testing at your local grocery store, that store would have been closed a year ago, and would still be closed.  The scared and timid will go to their grocery store, but they won't cruise... makes no sense.  For cruises to resume, either testing of asymptomatic passengers has to stop, or the companies and governments need a plan to mitigate the discovery of a positive test on board.  I think the latter is what will happen.  There will be positive tests on every cruise, and handling them will have to become routine.  It will be very ironic if it turns out that wearing masks and shutting down all the businesses in every country didn't have any effect on the number of covid deaths..

• Like 2

5 hours ago, vintagegarage said:

The scared and timid will go to their grocery store, but they won't cruise... makes no sense. 

I know a number of people that have only shopped with curbside pickup, won't go inside a restaurant, and are staying home mostly isolated--even though they are fully vaccinated. You can accuse people of being "scared and timid" but just maybe, they know their own limitations and don't choose to take unnecessary risks.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, boze9999 said:

This allows and/or forces HAL to require anyone cruising in the EU be fully vaccinated. And I for one, am totally fine with that. 

I am confused. There are pax from many of the European countries that cruise on HAL in Europe. Nowhere does it say anything about those pax needing to be vaccinated. 

5 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

I know a number of people that have only shopped with curbside pickup, won't go inside a restaurant, and are staying home mostly isolated--even though they are fully vaccinated. You can accuse people of being "scared and timid" but just maybe, they know their own limitations and don't choose to take unnecessary risks.

@HAL4NOWyou nailed it completely spot on in regards to our position.. I have just started to return to the grocery store 2 visits in and out and we have been fully vaccinated since February..

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Laminator said:

I am confused. There are pax from many of the European countries that cruise on HAL in Europe. Nowhere does it say anything about those pax needing to be vaccinated. 

This isn’t a cruise line policy per se, it’s an EU policy. If Americans want to visit the EU, they’ll need to be vaccinated. All modes of travel will fall into line for American visitors, whether it be land tours, rail, cruises, etc. It’s not the companies making the policy, it’s the EU, and by virtue of that policy the American passengers on those modes of transportation will be vaccinated.

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, syesmar said:

This isn’t a cruise line policy per se, it’s an EU policy. If Americans want to visit the EU, they’ll need to be vaccinated. All modes of travel will fall into line for American visitors, whether it be land tours, rail, cruises, etc. It’s not the companies making the policy, it’s the EU, and by virtue of that policy the American passengers on those modes of transportation will be vaccinated.

While the interview was focused on Americans since it was with an American publication, the later paragraph makes it clear that it applies to everyone entering the EU, not just Americans. 😉 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, kazu said:

While the interview was focused on Americans since it was with an American publication, the later paragraph makes it clear that it applies to everyone entering the EU, not just Americans. 😉 

Good point, as many of us in the USA tend to forget that there are other parts of the world, even in the Americas. After all, Canada last I looked is still in North America. So why are we the only ones called Americans.🤦‍♂️

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Good point, as many of us in the USA tend to forget that there are other parts of the world, even in the Americas. After all, Canada last I looked is still in North America. So why are we the only ones called Americans.🤦‍♂️

Just a guess, but maybe because we are the United States of AMERICA?

• Like 2

Thanks, kazu😉 This article from a couple weeks back highlighted that there may be some visitors from the US who are vaccinated that will be visiting places where the population hasn’t had the opportunity yet. https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/americans-travel-europe-vaccinated/2021/04/12/a172594a-9719-11eb-8f0a-3384cf4fb399_story.html

Where I live, there’s excess supply because of hesitancy. How I wish everyone everywhere had access to a vaccine right now. So much to ponder as things re-open around the world! I do look forward to the day when it’s safe to freely travel again.

Safe (future) Travels to All!

3 hours ago, syesmar said:

I have many friends in Holland. I understand that if I travel to see them I will need to be vaccinated, which I am. However if I take a cruise out of Amsterdam with my friends there is nothing that says they must be vaccinated to cruise as of yet. So this alone does not force HAL's hand. Unless there is more to this story, 

On 4/24/2021 at 5:09 PM, sprinkles said:

Yup, booked yesterday!  I’m fully vaccinated and can’t wait to go!  I’ll get a booster every 6 months if I have to.  I wish everyone would do it, but I can’t help what everyone else will or won’t do.   Although if they refuse to get vaccinated then get sick, they should be put off on the next port.  Kinda like walk the plank!  Stopping the cruise and returning, that’s just a big ol bummer.

So then, what about a vaccinated passenger getting sick; do they get put off at the next port?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

I will patronize a grocery and a local drug store.  Doctors' appointments and tests at at hospital are hard to avoid.  In-restaurant dining; attending my in person Church's services, shopping at a big box store or at a mall:  No.  Fully vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine, but I am not comfortable to be "out and about" with those who "don't want the vaccine", but whose reasons are based on misinformation and ignorance.  I accept those who will reject the vaccine for religious or health reasons.  They "will always be with us".  And, there is nothing wrong with that.  

We, in the United States of America, are starting to "pay the price" for the messages that "We, the People" received from certain "leaders" during 2020.  Mixed messages; what to believe?  The seeds of doubt were sowed during the planting season of 2020.  With the hesitancy now for people accepting the vaccines, those seeds are now sprouting during the Spring of 2021.  

• Like 5

I do not want to sail with anyone that has not been vaccinated!!!! Too many people do not take the virus seriously and don't even think masks are necessary.  I do not want to be exposed to these people. Either get the vaccine or stay home.  If a ship isn't mandating vaccines then have ships sailing for the non vaccinated and those who are vaccinated. Sorry if this seems harsh, I know too many that have died from Covid and many who have been seriously ill from it.