I recently posted this on the Fitness Board but also wanted to post it here, too.

Let me preface this post with "I know that there is no crystal ball..." before someone else does.  I am wondering if anyone has an idea as to the average type of outdoor weather conditions one can expect at sunrise, or shortly afterwards, on a TA at the end of April from Fort Lauderdale to Rome (a Southern route).  My husband and I are year-round, any climate, runners and just want to get an idea of the type of running clothes we should pack for our 2023 TA.  We do expect wind, clouds and maybe some drizzle/rain but was very curious to consider temps--average around 50-60 degrees--colder or warmer?  Thanks!

We've done that route three times.  IMO, the main factor in outdoor comfort was the fact that the ship was moving briskly, so it was quite windy.  That made it chilly, to me, although many spent their days in shorts and short sleeves.  I remember doing aerobics on an outdoor sheltered deck, beginning with three layers on top, then gradually removing extra layers during the class.  Apart from that, I found a fleece jacket handy as my warm layer.

Done 30 crossings, about half Eastbound like yours.  Weather has ranged from the high 40s to the low 80s and virtually everything in between.  Sometimes all on the same sailing.

Take sweats and lighter clothes like shorts.  You might use either.

I would spend my time planning on port calls. 

3 hours ago, peanut head said:

I recently posted this on the Fitness Board but also wanted to post it here, too.

Let me preface this post with "I know that there is no crystal ball..." before someone else does.  I am wondering if anyone has an idea as to the average type of outdoor weather conditions one can expect at sunrise, or shortly afterwards, on a TA at the end of April from Fort Lauderdale to Rome (a Southern route).  My husband and I are year-round, any climate, runners and just want to get an idea of the type of running clothes we should pack for our 2023 TA.  We do expect wind, clouds and maybe some drizzle/rain but was very curious to consider temps--average around 50-60 degrees--colder or warmer?  Thanks!

Can guarantee wind as the ship is moving about 20kts.   Usually have small squalls.  If a large storm on the route the captain can change course to avoid most weather.

Some dozen TAs.  Temps from 80s in FL and usually 70s while sailing but feels cooler.  Have never seen 50.

7 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Can guarantee wind as the ship is moving about 20kts.   Usually have small squalls.  If a large storm on the route the captain can change course to avoid most weather.

Some dozen TAs.  Temps from 80s in FL and usually 70s while sailing but feels cooler.  Have never seen 50.

and running clothes are almost always very light, easy to roll up in your suitcase, whether it be nylon shorts, lycra running leggings, very easy and do not take up any room really.  No matter the weather the running shoes will be the same, just simply plan for winter. spring, summer or fall, wont really effect your packing.

Late April is ideal for a southern crossing.  You should have temperate weather all the way...warmer in Florida and then 70’s on average.  That being said you never know if you are going to hit a freak storm but that is very rare.  

16 hours ago, peanut head said:

A little more information with respect to ports of call before entering the Meddy will be helpful. On an Eastbound TA, a true southerly crossing is unusual as the routing is longer and it has opposing currents.

If you are stopping in the Azores, I would expect a Great Circle (composite) sailing provided it is acceptable based on weather routing. This would take you a little North of the Azores Latitude, but not the most northerly reaches of the N/Atlantic. This is the shortest distance and has favourable currents.

However, based on prevailing winds it should provide mostly favourable winds over the deck, which will somewhat reduce the wind generated by the ship's speed.

Having completed way too many TA's, I have generally found April/May transits to be very comfortable. Last E'bd at that time of year was 2014 and I was out every morning with shorts and t-shirt for my daily walk. Experienced fairly minimal wind over the deck and temps in high 50's/low 60's.

Heidi13, we will be cruising on the Edge and stopping at Funchal, Gibraltar, Cartagena, Palma de Mallorca and Sardinia.  For an early morning (sunrise) run, I think you are spot on with the average temps. 

We prefer to run early as something will always sidetrack us (no pun intended) if we put it off.  Without a doubt the weather will be warmer as the day progresses as others have pointed out in their replies.

4 hours ago, peanut head said:

Heidi13, we will be cruising on the Edge and stopping at Funchal, Gibraltar, Cartagena, Palma de Mallorca and Sardinia.  For an early morning (sunrise) run, I think you are spot on with the average temps. 

We prefer to run early as something will always sidetrack us (no pun intended) if we put it off.  Without a doubt the weather will be warmer as the day progresses as others have pointed out in their replies.

Rather than stopping in the Azores they are using Madeira, which is further South. I suspect they will still Great Circle when clear of the coast, but will not go too far north.

On sea days I normally start walking about 05:30, so probably about the same time.

• 1 month later...

Where the running track is on the ship will make a big difference. If the track is lower on the ship, on a protected promenade type setting, you will have significantly less wind and thus a warmer run. Tracks on the top deck are usually unprotected and can be extremely windy and unpleasant.