Change in Carry-On Bag Policy

Ombud

16 hours ago, Ombud said:

Your welcome. I've been told a few times that stewards can't help. 

Flight attendants are actually not permitted to lift your bags because it causes too many injuries — a huge worker's comp issue. “The rule is, if you can't lift it into the overhead bin yourself, check it,”

• Like 3

We do far more flights on LCC in Europe, Asia, and Australia.   Their limits are typically 20" and 8 KG weight.

We are often amazed at the size of carry on luggage that we see on NA flights.  Even more amazed at those passengers who cannot physically handle their carry on and expect some assistance from other passengers or crew members.   There should be a weight limit as well as a dimension limit for carry ons.

One of the reasons we cut back to international carry on was that we wanted to be able to physically handle our luggage with no assistance. Whether it be air, train, ferry , hotel, land, etc.

1 hour ago, iancal said:

One of the reasons we cut back to international carry on was that we wanted to be able to physically handle our luggage with no assistance. Whether it be air, train, ferry , hotel, land, etc.

For decades, as a solo traveler, I am reluctant to ask for assistance of any kind unless I really need it.  (Lost in Rome and trying to communicate with an Italian policeman was an example of I really needed it.)  As I have become more senior, "asking for assistance" is a lesson about "learning to swallow one's pride" has been--and is--a difficult lesson that I am continuing to learn.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, wowzz said:

Sorry, but my view is, if you can't lift it, you don't carry it.

I agree with you.  My carry-on bag has been an over the shoulder type that is one-third to one-half the size of such bags that I have seen.  A bum left shoulder caused my difficulty on that Delta flight.  The bag wasn't too heavy.  When I needed my left arm to push the bag into the overhead compartment after my right arm got it mostly there, my left shoulder did not cooperate with my left arm.  

As I said in a previous post, that woman in Seat 3A who helped me ought to have been awarded a Gold Star by the travel "gods" for helping me.  

Our observation is that boarding a LCC flight in Asia or in  Europe is so much easier and faster than boarding one a flight in North America.  It is all down to the size and the weight of carry on baggage that is permitted.

15 hours ago, HUNKY said:

I detest using a carry on bag.  I check my bag, or bags, and basically bring my wallet which also holds my phone.

You are doing what I ought to now do.  But, I need some type of carry-on to hold, if nothing else, my prescription medicines.  Unwise to pack such in a bag that is checked.  My bag may end up in Honolulu while I am at my destination which is NOT in the Aloha State.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Which airlines doesn't have a weightlimit?

BA, amazingly, allow 23kg weight limit for cabin baggage. But, unless you are carrying gold ingots, I can't see how you can fill a carry on bag that would weigh that much.

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

BA, amazingly, allow 23kg weight limit for cabin baggage. But, unless you are carrying gold ingots, I can't see how you can fill a carry on bag that would weigh that much.

Books and papers, electronic gear, cameras, watches and such.  Clothes are relatively light.

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

They still have a weightlimit.

I agree with you that the limit is difficult to reach!