The $300 bar tab and $100 bonus...... Is that available up to sail date?

les37b

OK, I appreciate that there is a reference to buying "loot" up to a day or so before sailing, but I cant see any reference to the $100 bonus added on purchase.

I did ring about something else and the virgin rep said it had to be bought by the 30 April, which I can't see mentioned - and a bit reluctant to buy in case it doesnt sail. (ie buy as late as possible.) Don't want to miss the bonus though!

Anyone know for sure?

One thing I think I'm really going to get cheesed off with is all the corny "Heidi Hi campers" type stuff. When I rang, I was asked if I was a sailor or a first mate. I'm a passenger or guest.... and hope this isn't going to be like going to Butlins. I know you can just ignore it, but I've a feeling its going to grate after a while Cap'n.

Edited by les37b

OK.... Think I have the answer - but was via our TA, so hopefully it is correct.

The promotion to get the extra $100 does end on the 30 April - so heads up to book now or lose out.

Not sure why the virgin exchange rate is so poor. They are charging you £225 - when the rates currently should cost £215 (£1 = $1.39 currently)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, les37b said:

OK, I appreciate that there is a reference to buying "loot" up to a day or so before sailing, but I cant see any reference to the $100 bonus added on purchase.

I did ring about something else and the virgin rep said it had to be bought by the 30 April, which I can't see mentioned - and a bit reluctant to buy in case it doesnt sail. (ie buy as late as possible.) Don't want to miss the bonus though!

Anyone know for sure?

One thing I think I'm really going to get cheesed off with is all the corny "Heidi Hi campers" type stuff. When I rang, I was asked if I was a sailor or a first mate. I'm a passenger or guest.... and hope this isn't going to be like going to Butlins. I know you can just ignore it, but I've a feeling its going to grate after a while Cap'n.

You are not going to like Virgin Voyages if you can't handle sailor, and voyage, first maid and always happy people, using only positive language no matter how bad things are.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, garymfreedman said:

You are not going to like Virgin Voyages if you can't handle sailor, and voyage, first maid and always happy people, using only positive language no matter how bad things are.

No wonder his success stemmed from The Exorcist! lol

I mentioned my thoughts on the baby talk to my TA and she agreed it cheapens the brand.

I know this will be my one and only, so I'm not someone they need to take any notice of.... though going by Virgin Media CS, even if I were, they would still ignore.

11 hours ago, CroozFanatic said:

You can still get $50 after April 30th. Remember you'll have to manage two "use it or lose it" accounts - Sailor Loot and Bar Tab.

Also, the current Virgin promo ended on February 9th, then March 31st, now April 30th.

OK many thanks...... Generally I never lose it..... and If I still have bar money left, be nearby for a freebie! haha

As we now have 3 bookings for 6 people, we'll have to nurse maid them with the task of keeping a tab on their tabs!

I assume the phone app updates with this data? (Or is that withheld so you carry on spending and have a bill to pay for overspending?) I'm not used to needing to view this stuff, but not really a chore. It's no biggie either way really.

I've been booked and cancelled on five different times now by Virgin Voyages... I purchased the $300 get $100 free promotion on at least three different occasions, and was obviously cancelled on again. Now, I've booked yet again for next year, but they won't let me use my cruise credits to purchase the promotion. They said that I could purchase it outright, but I would have to give them $300 more, even though I still have almost $800 in "future voyage credits" with them. I declined, and told them that I don't have any intention of forking out any more money until the ship actually sails...

9 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

I've been booked and cancelled on five different times now by Virgin Voyages... I purchased the $300 get $100 free promotion on at least three different occasions, and was obviously cancelled on again. Now, I've booked yet again for next year, but they won't let me use my cruise credits to purchase the promotion. They said that I could purchase it outright, but I would have to give them $300 more, even though I still have almost $800 in "future voyage credits" with them. I declined, and told them that I don't have any intention of forking out any more money until the ship actually sails...

So you bought a drink tab, they didn't give you a refund, but now refuse you to allow you to use the money they kept of the thing you paid for with it originally?

I've zero intention of ever using Virgin again, so that's a bit concerning, if they cancel this booking and think they will be ok keeping money paid out for a bar tab. I was intending on buying 5 lots in total for the party. I certainly have no intention on risking a non refundable payment.

Also - its grating. The package is $300. They wont let me pay in $US and insist on GBP wanting £225 each. The exchange rate should be £215. It's $1.39 to the £ not $1.33. Hope if we do sail and have a bill to pay, they don't insist on sterling at this crazy rates.

I'm going to have to go back through my credit card statements and see if my original bar tab money was refunded... After everything that I've been through, booking and rebooking again, it may have just been lost in the shuffle... If I can prove that it wasn't refunded, I'll definitely be on the phone trying to get it reinstated...

Fingers crossed. Easy to miss out. I had paid for premium upgrade on one of my cancellations which vanished into the new booking, which was the exact same cruise, but 14 months later. I lost it. The price increased, but because that booking was also from a cancellation caused by Cuba, it just got messy. Annoyingly, I think I will be going through the same thing again in Jan unless Peru, Equador, Panama, Southern Caribbean and US reopens, which i cant see happening.

I rang Virgin today and paid for a ($300 bumped up to $400) package for each of us. Over the course of 4 nights, I'm sure we will manage to reduce the balance to zero. Couldn't do that every day over a 2 week cruise, but a short one, what the hell. They did confirm, I can cancel for a refund up to 24 hours before sailing and also if they cancel the sailing, a full refund will be given. 

On 4/29/2021 at 1:46 PM, les37b said:

Fingers crossed. Easy to miss out. I had paid for premium upgrade on one of my cancellations which vanished into the new booking, which was the exact same cruise, but 14 months later. I lost it. The price increased, but because that booking was also from a cancellation caused by Cuba, it just got messy. Annoyingly, I think I will be going through the same thing again in Jan unless Peru, Equador, Panama, Southern Caribbean and US reopens, which i cant see happening.

I rang Virgin today and paid for a ($300 bumped up to $400) package for each of us. Over the course of 4 nights, I'm sure we will manage to reduce the balance to zero. Couldn't do that every day over a 2 week cruise, but a short one, what the hell. They did confirm, I can cancel for a refund up to 24 hours before sailing and also if they cancel the sailing, a full refund will be given. 

Yup, just did the same here so the offer is still alive into May at least.

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2021 at 1:37 PM, les37b said:

OK.... Think I have the answer - but was via our TA, so hopefully it is correct.

The promotion to get the extra $100 does end on the 30 April - so heads up to book now or lose out.

Not sure why the virgin exchange rate is so poor. They are charging you £225 - when the rates currently should cost £215 (£1 = $1.39 currently)

Hi there.

I have an update on the Bar tab offer. Having read through this thread I ent onto the Virgin Voyages facebook site and asked the question there.

The page is obviously monitored by Virgin staff because within 3 hours I had a response stating that the 'offer' is still available till 30 June and it gave me a number to ring. 

5 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Hi there.

I have an update on the Bar tab offer. Having read through this thread I ent onto the Virgin Voyages facebook site and asked the question there.

The page is obviously monitored by Virgin staff because within 3 hours I had a response stating that the 'offer' is still available till 30 June and it gave me a number to ring. 

...And now I can confirm that I have pre-booked that Bar Tab offer.

Though the number I rang was a UK number it directed me to the US and the procedure was very easy - Any UK folk wanting to ring should note that the number is only manned on Eastern Seaboard time though. ( 5 hours behind BST)