To Vax or not to Vax.... Would you cruise

Luckiestmanonearth

To Vax or not to Vax   

287 members have voted

1. 1. Would you cruise if cruise line did NOT make vaccination mandatory

• Yes
    • No

So there’s been a lot of threads circling the subject of Florida, but let me ask more generically, would you cruise if the cruise line did not require proof of vaccination

It’s a highly charged issue but let’s try to be civil

Personally I don’t think I would .  Not because of the fear of getting Covid (since I’m vaxed), but potentially being stranded on the ship if it gets quarantined.

Thoughts?

Edited by Luckiestmanonearth

It's the unvaccinated that'll be in "trouble" more than those who are vaccinated.  I'd probably cruise, as long as there's a guarantee that A) the cruise doesn't end immediately, B) those who are symptomatic are quarantined to their room, and C) any financial hardships incurred are passed along to those who stupidly boarded a ship unvaccinated.

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

So there’s been a lot of threads circling the subject of Florida, but let me ask more generically, would you cruise if the cruise line did not require proof of vaccination

It’s a highly charged issue but let’s try to be civil

Personally I don’t think I would .  Not because of the fear of getting Covid (since I’m vaxed), but potentially being stranded on the ship if it gets quarantined.

Thoughts?

I agree, although since so much more is known now about the COVID virus maybe it is less likely that a ship would be quarantined as they were in the beginning.  With rapid testing and less fear of the healthcare system being overwhelmed, there are probably different ways to handle a ship returning with some COVID positive passengers. But I probably would not take that risk.  

I've mentioned on other threads that we decided to scrap our January 2022 cruise and do a land based vacation instead. We worry that the start of cruising out of the USA is not going to go smoothly, with many learning points (hiccups) as they go. We are almost to May and it will take months to get the ships and staffs and logistics ready. I could be misinformed, maybe they have things figured out? But I don't think so.

Not trying to be negative, just trying to be smart. I hope we all can get back to worrying about those silly little traveling issues and not worrying about getting Covid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WestLakeGirl said:

So what is your answer to the pollster’s question, Mike981?

As with the other 40 or so folks, I said "NO". I would not cruise without a vaccine being mandatory. BUT, how are we going to honestly prove everyone is vaccinated? There are so many questions that have not been answered and it seems that some folks are willing to take it as it happens. Not us.

Edited by Mike981
  • Like 1

It seems like the CDC is going to require 95% of passengers and 98% of crew to be vaccinated for the cruise lines not having to have practice cruises.

To my knowledge the only cruise lines that haven't committed to vaccines are MSC and Carnival. I expect that to change if they want to stay relevant.

5 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

I'm much more concerned about those who won’t get vaccinated and then will provide false documents to board, circumventing the CDC and the cruise lines' requirements.

Testing is a secondary  safety measure.  Nothing is foolproof!

Celebrity very clearly says no cruising without vaccinations. Just sat in on a Zoom with a Celebrity rep who’s been with Celebrity for many years and stated that Celebrity will require vaccination documentation for all 18 and above. My understanding from her talk was those under 18 would require negative tests prior to boarding. 

And for me, no I’ll not cruise on a Line that only ‘suggests/recommends/requests’ vaccinations. Vaccinations are a must. 

enough. Looks as if we are approaching cruising again! Will jump through the hoops of 50% capacity, masks for inside common areas when walking around, 7N only and no B2B for a while, but once more people set up and decide they care about their family, friends and community and get the vaccine, we’ll be even better off…..Now that wasn’t nasty was it???

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 4

I don't think it will be up to the cruise lines.  Each Government will make their own call before they allow cruising again.  Some smaller countries are desperate for income so will accept the risk of allowing cruise ships back.  Others who have worked hard to manage the pandemic will be slow to let ships back in and will insist on very high safety protocols.  I live in NZ and can't see any ships coming back until the 22-23 summer season and then there will definite hoops to jump through.

I’ll disagree with it not being up to the cruise lines. A company can set down that they require vaccinations. Now, onlyslightlymad (neat tag!) could be right about some line decided Not to require vaccinations and but Govts could require all to be vaccinated if using their ports of call/departure ports. We’ll all see. 

Den

Edited by Denny01

I voted no, primarily because of the potential impact to the cruise itself should several people become infected.  I myself am vaccinated and while I know it is not 100%, should I catch the virus it is extremely unlikely I would become seriously ill or worse.

it's unfortunate that they are not requiring 100% vaccination IMHO.  If I were CEO of a cruise line (heaven help us all🙂) I would insist 100% of my crew be vaccinated.  I also wish unvaccinated children were not allowed to board at this time.  I realize they can't be vaccinated right now - but until they can (or until the pandemic is over) they present additional unnecessary risk.  Celebrity, while it certainly accommodates children, does not rely on them for bookings as much as lines like Disney or RCI.  It would be nice if for now, they insist every single person be vaccinated. It would be nice to have one cruise line with that as an option for us older, and/or more vulnerable folks.

I am not anti-kid - I have 3 myself and sailed often with the youngest.  But we are talking about a deadly illness here - not inconveniencing families by not allowing them to board with their children for the time being.

• Like 10

I understand the issue with RCL but I'm sort of surprised that Celebrity didn't just go the 100% vaccinated route.   I've never been on a cruise with 5% kids although I'm aware there are some in the summer Bermuda and around the holidays.

I would think that especially with reduced capacity the lost bookings by not allowing any unvaccinated passengers on Celebrity would be trivial and probably less than the passengers lost by not having 100% vaccinated.

I'm sure it is a much bigger problem on RCL so would think they could go with the current plan for PCR testing for under 18 there.   That would give choices within the group to cater to both groups.

I wonder where the magic is with the 98% crew and 95% passenger numbers from the CDC.   I'd like to hear the "science" around that.

• Like 2

I voted that I won't go if they are not requiring proof of vaccination...  honestly I'm not thrilled that Celebrity is allowing unvaxed between 16 & 18, since there is a vaccine available for that age...& as for under 16, I wish they weren't allowing it... I'm not anti kid, just don't want my cruise ruined by an outbreak among the kiddos...

Luckily, my cruise isn't until late October...  we've done several Med cruises that time of year & there's usually less than a handful of kids onboard, so that makes me feel more secure in the idea of a smooth & uninterrupted cruise!

Edited by cruise kitty
  • Like 1

We canceled our cruises until May of next year. Far too many questions to be answered by the cruise lines plus we want to see how things go initially. I will not cruise if proof of vaccinations is not required. Personally I expect that some are going to lie about this and show false proof. Would love to see the cruise lines draw up legal documents that each must guest must sign attesting that they’re vaccinated and the proof being presented is accurate. Those lying should be held accountable. And yes we’re vaccinated. Six weeks post vaccine jab. 

• Like 1

The CDC is the org that set the minimum of 95% passenger vaccinated….a minimum. Is someone who has questioned why Celebriy doesn’t go to 100% have a source stating Celebrity is going with the 95%? I haven‘t seen anything stating that. 

Den

I certainly understand the hesitantancy for those that do not want the vaccine.  I do, however, wish everyone would get vaccinated as that is the only chance we will crush this virus. My family and I are now fully vaccinated and that was our choice, as it should be.  Given the nature of this virus, it’s certainly possible that it will never go away.  Much like the flu, we’ll have the option to protect ourselves with annual vaccinations for the many variants that will show up each season.  

Would I go on a cruise if it were not a fully vaccinated cruise? Absolutely.  There is an inherent risk in just about any we do.  If you could look into your crystal ball 2 to 3 years from now, what is the landscape for viruses, cruising and vaccines?  For all we know, future variants could affect young adults more than older ones.

Ultimately, I believe COVID will be looked upon just like any other virus, like the flu.  I personally would want to be vaccinated for the flu before a cruise in the winter months. I suspect no more than half of passengers are typically vaccinated for the flu.

I’ll be on the third sailing out of St. Maarten in June and cannot wait see my fellow passengers.

Jason

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Denny01 said:

The CDC is the org that set the minimum of 95% passenger vaccinated….a minimum. Is someone who has questioned why Celebriy doesn’t go to 100% have a source stating Celebrity is going with the 95%? I haven‘t seen anything stating that. 

Den

I suspect that the CDC minimum of 95% of passengers vaccinated was to take into account the lack of current vaccines for children. That would probably work for Celebrity, but I doubt that RCI or Disney would be able to meet that standard.

8 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I suspect that the CDC minimum of 95% of passengers vaccinated was to take into account the lack of current vaccines for children .

That actually makes a lot of sense .  Basically they’re saying 100% of adults need to be vaxed.

Good call

We booked one of the round Britain staycations on Silhouette yesterday. The first question that the agent asked us was, ‘ had we been vaccinated?’ When I told her the date of our 2nd vaccination, she replied, ‘good, we can now proceed with the booking.’

I’m somewhat surprised so few said “Yes” in the poll. 

Ill be fully vaccinated by the time I hope to board Enchanted Princess this July. If it sails I’ll be on it.

We’re in our sixties with no underlying health issues and had Covid way back in February 2020 after a ski holiday to a Covid ridden ski resort (Ischgl).

I really think the risk of a serious Covid outbreak aboard a ship with the testing and protocols in place is pretty small. The likelihood of requiring hospitalisation or the ship being denied port entry are tiny too.

We all have our levels of personal risk we are prepared to take. At my age I’m as likely to die from falling out of my bed as death from Covid.

• Like 1