Barbados day room?

fudge

Hi Everyone,

We have a cruise booked (fingers crossed)for February 2022. We leave the ship as ever at about 09.30, our flight leaves at 19.30 hrs. In the past we have taken a day room to rest and shower before the flight. Can anybody recommend a place please? The last one we used was not that great!

I know some people use the Hilton hotel but thats about 100 US a day, we are only staying 7hrs max in the room.

26 minutes ago, fudge said:

Hi Everyone,

We have a cruise booked (fingers crossed)for February 2022. We leave the ship as ever at about 09.30, our flight leaves at 19.30 hrs. In the past we have taken a day room to rest and shower before the flight. Can anybody recommend a place please? The last one we used was not that great!

I know some people use the Hilton hotel but thats about 100 US a day, we are only staying 7hrs max in the room.

Many years ago heard Sweetfield Manor did day passes, although not near a beach it had a pool.

Could be worth contacting them.  Think the price then was about US$60/70

Apart from this, don’t think there is anything cheaper than the Hilton.

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply.

Thats quite a coincidence, we stayed there 2 years ago, the place was very nice however, there was a huge dispute regarding payment which took a while to resolve. 

13 minutes ago, fudge said:

Thank you for your reply.

Thats quite a coincidence, we stayed there 2 years ago, the place was very nice however, there was a huge dispute regarding payment which took a while to resolve. 

Wow - What’s the odds of this happening?
Out of interest, would you stay there again and for the benefit of frugal CC members, how much?

26 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Wow - What’s the odds of this happening?
Out of interest, would you stay there again and for the benefit of frugal CC members, how much?

Hi,

I just checked my mail 154 US Dollars, that was pick up from the cruise terminal, accommodation for 7 hours and a taxi to the airport. Actually it was very nice, lovely room, pleasant surroundings, you can buy a meal there, we would stay there again but the incident of payment put us off.

1 hour ago, fudge said:

Hi,

I just checked my mail 154 US Dollars, that was pick up from the cruise terminal, accommodation for 7 hours and a taxi to the airport. Actually it was very nice, lovely room, pleasant surroundings, you can buy a meal there, we would stay there again but the incident of payment put us off.

Think that’s very reasonable for Barbados.

On 4/29/2021 at 7:40 AM, fudge said:

that really doesn't sound bad to me. There are plenty of times I have checked into a hotel late in the evening just to get up early to board a ship. They will still have to service/clean the room so they really don't care that you are using it for "only" 7 hours. Secondly they are likely giving up the opportunity to rent that room for the night since they need to have rooms available by check in time of 4pm

This isn’t related to the day rooms (directly), but we overnighted at the Hilton the last time that we disembarked in Barbados.  There were also a number of guests from our sailing that had day rooms.  Check-in was a zoo and and many of the day room guests were still waiting to be accommodated past noon.  it seemed that once a wave of embarking guests checked out that they started accommodating day room guests about 30 minutes later.  The backlog was bad enough that the lobby coffee shop ran out of baked pastries and sandwiches from everyone trying to grab a bite to eat as the hotel wouldn’t even open up room charges for other venues until guests were assigned to rooms.

Those of us who had overnight rooms, even with higher Hilton HHonors status waited and waited.  I’m not certain what time our room was finally ready - we were having an early dinner with friends who were continuing on the next leg so we finally left our bags with the bell desk around 3 to go meet them.

it seemed like the Hilton was trying to get a double turn out of the rooms - clean quickly and use as a day room and then turn again to overnight guests.  This is not an uncommon practice for international hotels that have late arrivals and early checkouts, but knowing how many folks were waiting to be accommodated left a bad taste in my mouth.

I doubt we’ll try the Hilton again, especially if there are other embarkations/disembarkation in port..  We had better disembarkation room luck at the Courtyard by Marriott.  Although there is less to do there, we were able to get rooms immediately.

5 hours ago, jenidallas said:

I doubt we’ll try the Hilton again, especially if there are other embarkations/disembarkation in port..  We had better disembarkation room luck at the Courtyard by Marriott.  Although there is less to do there, we were able to get rooms immediately.

Your experience raises the question in my mind concerning cruise ship turnarounds in ports such as Barbados.  If there becomes multiple ships doing turnarounds, will the island's infrastructure be able to deal with it successfully?  

8 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Your experience raises the question in my mind concerning cruise ship turnarounds in ports such as Barbados.  If there becomes multiple ships doing turnarounds, will the island's infrastructure be able to deal with it successfully?  

The infrastructure is able to cope, but think the current CC debate is the limited availability of “day rooms/stays”, specifically at the lower end of price points, being unable to satisfy the increasing numbers/demands of frugal cruisers.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, nolatravelgirl said:

What are you getting then for $100? Are you saying for $100 they will hold your bags and allow you to use the public facilities?

What one hears is there are other great benefits.  
Being you also get a poor lunch, a single soft drink, a sun bed (if you can find a spare one) , plus the enjoyment of mixing with a potential mass of other “day stay” people. 

Sounds like my kind of place….NOT!

7 hours ago, nolatravelgirl said:

What are you getting then for $100? Are you saying for $100 they will hold your bags and allow you to use the public facilities?

Correct.

This might seem a bit obvious, but given the situation and cost mentioned by some folks have you simply considered spending a night in Barbados?  Take your time getting off the ship, head to your hotel/resort and enjoy your day, evening and dinner.  The next day you just check out and head to the airport.  If your flight is late you can have your hotel's concierge lock up your luggage and you just relax until it is time to head to the airport.  You might also be able to book a much earlier flight the following day (not always possible when disembarking from a cruise).

Hank

• Like 2