Hawaiian Airlines to PPT experience?

Hi,

My husband and I are considering the Windstar Tahiti and Tuamotu Islands cruise in late October. We found some great rates on Hawaiian Airlines out of Seattle, but they only fly once a week on Saturdays. Do any of you have experience flying Hawaiian Airlines to Papeete? I’ve never flown them, but Air Tahiti Nui is much more expensive and I refuse to fly United (nuff said). 

Thanks in advance for any advice. 

31 minutes ago, travelovingnurse said:

Hi,

My husband and I are considering the Windstar Tahiti and Tuamotu Islands cruise in late October. We found some great rates on Hawaiian Airlines out of Seattle, but they only fly once a week on Saturdays. Do any of you have experience flying Hawaiian Airlines to Papeete? I’ve never flown them, but Air Tahiti Nui is much more expensive and I refuse to fly United (nuff said). 

Thanks in advance for any advice. 

One of the draw backs on Hawaiian is the once per week flight, Saturday. The plane arrives late and many of the Windstar cruises in late October don't leave on the weekend so you must do a land package until it's time to board. 

The plus is you could fly to Hawaii a day or 2 ahead and split the long flight into 2 smaller flights. Hawaiian uses AirBus 330-200 .... not a bad plane and the seating 2-4-2 which is nice. However, Boeing 787-900 used by United and ATN is quieter, larger windows and a superior filtration system ... IMO.

We are booked on Hawaiian Airlines outbound (LAX-HNL-PPT)for the WS Tahiti&Tuamoto Islands Oct.6 sailing. Due to their Saturday schedule, we have to fly Oct.2 and spend the night in Papeete then we are going to go to Bora Bora for a few days before. We are returning on UA via SFO after a few days in Moorea post cruise for Humpback whale season. It worked better for the schedule of our May cruise that was cancelled but we are making the best of it!

• Like 2

I hate to say this but it's going to bother me if I don't. I'm a terrible worrier and can't relax flying over there until we're on the ground. I couldn't take the 'one flight a week' thing with HA. If anything happens to the plane there is probably a back up of sorts, but then again.... I heard a horror story from someone several years back who'd boarded his flight from HNL to PPT and after sitting in the plane several hours was told to deplane and return the next day. It was three days until HA had these passengers delivered to PPT some of them missing their cruises. After hearing this I realize even for a good price I couldn't stomach it.

Same could happen on UA, and their record of flight cancellations for me to other destinations makes me worry about those flights too, as just three a week. But I can't cover all possibilities. I always plan to arrive a couple days early. So far I've only flown ATN, (and Qantas when they used to fly) with no probs. Next trip I'll probably take my chances with UA- they've been wonderful giving credit with three previous canceled cruises.

I'm sorry if this makes anyone worry. The HA flight and UA flight to PPT had a great on time record when they were flying to PPT regularly, so take my views with a grain of salt. Besides I worry enough for 100 travelers.

• Like 1

@Petoonya

i understand and appreciate your concerns and everyone has to make their own decisions. I wouldn’t be comfortable trying to fly in the day of or even the night before the cruise on any carrier, but that’s just me. I figure 4 days before gives us a small cushion for eventualities. It may not be the best choice  for a flight but it was a great deal when we booked it over  a year ago. I’ll probably be more concerned when we get closer to Oct  but right now I’m just waiting with bated breath that the borders of FP reopen successfully and cruising resumes there this summer as planned! 

@baloothecat

Agree with you! We can only manage one set of worries at a time, and it's enough with keeping fingers crossed for FP to stay open and WS to be successful. I vacillated about whether or not to write about HA, but for anyone looking thought it best to bring up. It's probably about a .00001% chance of anything going afoul. I watch a few destinations we visit regularly for ontime performance and HA has a better record than both ATN and UA. I think there'd be a general outcry and warning particularly from PG passengers who are sending the most cruisers there, if there was a problem. In my 10 years of being on these boards, nary a word.

If the price was just too attractive I'd probably book HA too. And in truth I think I have more to worry about with UA than you do with HA! Another reason for people to not fly in same day.

Like I say, I'm a big fat WORRIER!

Take care.

@Petoonya

Your point is a valid point and people need to get all the info when self booking and should take into consideration that there  are other variables besides price. All good points to consider. I also found   @Tahitianbigkahunapoints about ventilation systems and seat configuration on the different carriers very informative.  I just wanted the OP to know there was someone out there that had booked  HA  to PPT. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!  I have had the same concerns about the once per week flight.  Our flight would arrive the night before the October 17th cruise.  We are still trying to get our vacation at work approved, so we will probably lose the great price we have on hold.  I have been trying to reach a supervisor at HA to get details on what they have historically done if there is a mechanical problem with the plane causing a delay.  So far, I have had no luck hearing back from one.  I will reach out to the person that Tahitianbigkahuna gave me the email for.  I appreciate everyone's input!  

• Like 1