Has HAL decided yet? Will they require vaccinations?

TomBeckCruise

Spoke with a HAL representative this morning regarding the vaccination requirements (or lack of).  The reason they are saying (at this point) that they aren't requiring every passenger to be vaccinated is because the vaccines aren't available for those under 16.   This pertains to the US ports as other countries can require all passengers to be vaccinated.   

1 hour ago, cruzin4us said:

Spoke with a HAL representative this morning regarding the vaccination requirements (or lack of).  The reason they are saying (at this point) that they aren't requiring every passenger to be vaccinated is because the vaccines aren't available for those under 16.   This pertains to the US ports as other countries can require all passengers to be vaccinated.   

A CDC decision may come this week re Pfizer's application for emergency vaccinations for the 12 - 16 year olds.  The younger ages may have to wait until later this year or early next year.  HAL doesn't usually sail with many of the younger ages.  As far as I am concerned, those few who want to travel with children younger than 12 can wait until the vaccine comes out.  In fact, we may all be waiting a few months.  In the meantime, I don't see HAL having a legitimate reason for not requiring a fully vaccinated ship.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

When a cruise line delivers a story like that - obviously false - it really, really makes me want to trust my vacation, my health, and my life to them.

What else are they lying about?

1 hour ago, Tampa Girl said:

A CDC decision may come this week re Pfizer's application for emergency vaccinations for the 12 - 16 year olds.  The younger ages may have to wait until later this year or early next year.  HAL doesn't usually sail with many of the younger ages.  As far as I am concerned, those few who want to travel with children younger than 12 can wait until the vaccine comes out.  In fact, we may all be waiting a few months.  In the meantime, I don't see HAL having a legitimate reason for not requiring a fully vaccinated ship.  

The FDA (not CDC)just recommended an EUA for Pfizer for 12-15 year olds.

On 5/8/2021 at 11:55 AM, CI66774 said:

No, argument precedes established law. There is no argument the ADA 

governs foreign-flagged vessels while at US ports. Now, there will be argument as to whether mask wearing, etc. is a reasonable accommodation for those who have a disability and can’t be vaccinated, or whether it’s an undue burden....

what kind of disability would prevent you from being vaccinated?   What is the ADAs definition of a disability?

7 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

...HAL doesn't usually sail with many of the younger ages.  As far as I am concerned, those few who want to travel with children younger than 12 can wait until the vaccine comes out.  In fact, we may all be waiting a few months.  In the meantime, I don't see HAL having a legitimate reason for not requiring a fully vaccinated ship.  

In his live interview last week, Gus Antorcha said while the initial sailings will be 100% vaccinated, one reason they are leaning against 100% in the future is, quote, “Children are a large proportion of the cruising population....” (fwiw: I’ve been on multiple sailings with less than 10 children onboard.) Here’s some notes and a link to the interview last week: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2779762-gus-antorcha-live/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-61088385

Edited by syesmar

20 minutes ago, syesmar said:

In his live interview last week, Gus Antorcha said while the initial sailings will be 100% vaccinated, one reason they are leaning against 100% in the future is, quote, “Children are a large proportion of the cruising population....” (fwiw: I’ve been on multiple sailings with less than 10 children onboard.) Here’s some notes and a link to the interview last week: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2779762-gus-antorcha-live/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-61088385

That is a very flimsy excuse not to require vaccinations. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, syesmar said:

The only time that we have seen more than a half dozen children on a HAL ship is during the holidays and spring break.  I realize that other Carnival lines may comprise a larger proportion of the cruising population but I question is term of "large" proportion.  That is certainly not the case with HAL.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

The only time that we have seen more than a half dozen children on a HAL ship is during the holidays and spring break.  I realize that other Carnival lines may comprise a larger proportion of the cruising population but I question is term of "large" proportion.  That is certainly not the case with HAL.

Same here.  We have spent lots of time on HAL ships and rarely have seen 10 children on board.  Either Gus is regurgitating the CCL sound bites or he has no clue what makes up HAL’s clientele.  Hopefully the former.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, syesmar said:

11 hours ago, cruisegirl said:

That is a very flimsy excuse not to require vaccinations. 

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

Same here.  We have spent lots of time on HAL ships and rarely have seen 10 children on board.  Either Gus is regurgitating the CCL sound bites or he has no clue what makes up HAL’s clientele.  Hopefully the former.

It looks like they are towing the corporate line.  Not a great decision.

Since ya can't drive until you are 16, ya can't gamble until your 21, just maybe ya can't cruise until you are 16 and vaccinated.  Just sayin'

Edited by cruzin4us

9 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

Since ya can't drive until you are 16, ya can't gamble until your 21, just maybe ya can't cruise until you are 16 and vaccinated.  Just sayin'

That would be about to change to 12.

On 5/12/2021 at 4:59 AM, ontheweb said:

That would be about to change to 12.

And much lower by early next year with on going trials.

I expect it is more about not alienating a percentage of their customer base than being about children.

A poor decision in my opinion.

Edited by nocl

1 hour ago, nocl said:

I expect it is more about not alienating a percentage of their customer base than being about children.

Maybe a decision bases on we'll get a pass when we go the opposite way because we can blame it on either the CDC or some of the ports.

8 hours ago, nocl said:

I would think those booking on HAL with children would be a low percentage. While they may be worried about alienating that percentage they should be worried about alienating all of us who have vaccinations and only want to cruise on a 100% vaccinated ship. 

• Like 1

On 5/9/2021 at 5:34 PM, drowelf said:

In my opinion, a lot of this discussion around the ADA is probably moot. A cruise ship generally takes on passengers at port A and visits ports, B, C, D, E during the cruise. These ports are going to be in multiple countries, with differing laws and regulations. Its going to be the most restrictive port requirements that are going to drive the cruise ships requirements. If just one of the ports says, you can only stop here if all your passenger and crew are vaccinated, then I would expect the line to require that all passengers and crew be vaccinated. 

Nope. If the ship stops in even one US port, the ADA applies. If the ship doesn't stop in any US ports, then the ADA has no application.