When do you think Princess will cancel early July sailings?

CineGraphic

We are booked on the July 3rd sailing of the Caribbean Princess, and I've read that several others here have booked early July sailings on the west coast.

Final payment is just around the corner.

Other lines have announced that they should be ready to sail by mid-July, but none of us have heard a peep from Princess.

When do you think they will announce cancellations (if any) of early July cruises? Before final payment (as in this weekend) or after?

Or....do you think they will try to sail as planned?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

When do you think they will announce cancellations (if any) of early July cruises? Before final payment (as in this weekend) or after?

extend final payment due to May 17th for cruises departing 7/1 - 7/15

Princess 'buys' 2 weeks ( I understand this doesn't help you specifically ) - and I don't have a clue about airline reservations , hotel, etc

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

We are booked on the July 3rd sailing of the Caribbean Princess, and I've read that several others here have booked early July sailings on the west coast.

Final payment is just around the corner.

Other lines have announced that they should be ready to sail by mid-July, but none of us have heard a peep from Princess.

Or....do you think they will try to sail as planned?

I certainly hope it will be prior to our May 4th due date!  We don’t owe much as the bulk of the payment is credit from a prior canceled cruise, but I don’t want to add any extra if at all possible.  

We are booked on a July 3rd Alaska cruise, out of Seattle.  I seriously doubt it will be going, which truly would not bother me at all...it is a poor substitute for the 14 day round trip from LA that we have had cancelled three times since last year. 😕

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

extend final payment due to May 17th for cruises departing 7/1 - 7/15

Princess 'buys' 2 weeks ( I understand this doesn't help you specifically ) - and I don't have a clue about airline reservations , hotel, etc

I’m hoping they will do that soon!  Not much happens on the weekend, and payment is due on Tuesday.

• Like 2

I booked the July 3rd cruise out of FLL yesterday and paid in full. Lord, PLEASE let this ship sail. This is my only shot at getting back to my happy place this year as medical and TA conflicts have me land locked for the rest of the year.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Little Sister said:

I booked the July 3rd cruise out of FLL yesterday and paid in full. Lord, PLEASE let this ship sail. This is my only shot at getting back to my happy place this year as medical and TA conflicts have me land locked for the rest of the year.

wow, that's aggressive , good luck 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

I heard rumors that Princess is in negotiations with the CDC if they would extend the start of cruises to the beginning of July.  

Princess has been so quiet. What exactly did you hear? We are booked July 5th to Cabo out of LA. Im expecting it to be cancelled. We are fully vaccinated and ready to sail! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Princess has been so quiet. What exactly did you hear? We are booked July 5th to Cabo out of LA. Im expecting it to be cancelled. We are fully vaccinated and ready to sail! 

Actually heard it from the “Boards”. 

Can’t see any reason why they couldn’t grandfather in the cruises starting in early July, if they fulfill all the necessary qualifications.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

Actually heard it from the “Boards”. 

Can’t see any reason why they couldn’t grandfather in the cruises starting in early July, if they fulfill all the necessary qualifications.  

Port Canaveral 'seems' ready and willing to open to cruises ... anything on PE, Miami, Tampa ?

what about the CA ports ? - would that be for CA residents only - like Disneyland is now ??

Things seem to be improving in Europe compared to three weeks ago so I feel a little more optimistic our Enchanted Princess cruise with depart Civitavecchia on 10 July 2021. I’ll pay the balance on 11 May and what will be, will be!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, nini said:

If any of the cruises involve a Canadian port, then you will not be cruising.

I just read that Trudeau is looking into the planning stages to open borders back up ... maybe earlier than planned, maybe not ... but at least there is some movement.  

Our cruise this summer has a 4 hour stop in Victoria ... at night, no less.  I am full well expecting a cancellation to occur but there may be a chance, albeit very miniscule, that it may go on as planned.  I just won't be too disappointed if it gets canceled as my expectations aren't set too high at this point. 

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau Addresses Reopening Borders | Porthole Cruise News

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Tak8 said:

The latest news improves the odds of sailing in July.  I'm not as sure about the beginning of the month.  Still seems like a lot to get ready.

This is why I booked a 99% sure thing - RCI Adventure sailing out of Nassau July 17, 2021. It’d be awesome if the Princess July 5th was a go, but, we are a mere 65 days out. My guess is we should hear something this week. 

How long will it take them to get all the crew back and ready to roll? I'm guessing that those from many countries won't have been fully vaccinated yet either, so there's that to add in the timeline. For the US, are you allowed to get a vaccine if you're not a resident/citizen - I'm guessing at least a month for both shots if crew member hasn't received any. Seems like such a logistical nightmare...

44 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

How long will it take them to get all the crew back and ready to roll? I'm guessing that those from many countries won't have been fully vaccinated yet either, so there's that to add in the timeline. For the US, are you allowed to get a vaccine if you're not a resident/citizen - I'm guessing at least a month for both shots if crew member hasn't received any. Seems like such a logistical nightmare...

I wouldn't expect that all ships will sail when a restart begins.  It will be a lot to manage for all of the cruise lines, so probably a few of ships here and there to begin with.  Some countries may not be open for cruise ships.  There will be more cancellations to come.  Crew vaccinations are a challenge, but I have seen news in the last couple of days that one Florida port and one Texas port are offering a limited number of vaccines for ship crew that will be serving US ports.  Another hitch that will impact sailings from the US and other places like the UK and Europe are travel bans on people from India.  The US put one in place yesterday.  Lots of Indian citizens serve as crew, so the cruise lines will have to find crew from other places.

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

For the US, are you allowed to get a vaccine if you're not a resident/citizen

---

In California, free vaccinations are open to non-residents and non-citizens:

https://covid19.ca.gov/vaccines/

• Do I need to be a California resident to get COVID-19 vaccine? No. Vaccine distribution is based on eligibility irrespective of residency or immigration status.

• You can get the vaccine for free no matter what your immigration or citizenship status is. Vaccinations do not count under the public charge rule. You should not be asked about your immigration or citizenship status when you get a COVID-19 vaccine.

---

Edited by RSS from SF
  • Like 4

I may be misremembering, but way back early in the cruise shutdown wasn't it said that Princess wouldn't be Carnival Corp's first line to resume, they'd probably be about a month behind? (Presumably because they didn't want Princess to risk more bad press after the Diamond Princess issues in case those early cruises had problems )

But I guess even if I am remembering correctly, that was a long time ago and things may have changed.

Edit: Maybe what I was thinking of is in the early months Princess was cancelling a month further out than the other Carnival  Corp lines, and the rest was my assumptions about that which I'm now incorrectly remembering to be actual facts.

Edited by Earthworm Jim

Earthworm, I have a similar memory, so I think you're right.  Of course, as you say, it's been a long time since last spring, so who knows what the plan now is.

Off-topic-ish, I was just thinking about last spring when the resumption of cruising seemed like a fantasy.  Not even a glimmer of a glow of a light at the end of the tunnel.   It's still not time to pack yet, but jabs are going into arms and real steps are being taken to get us that much closer to our first martini upon boarding.  There's some light emanating from the end of this tunnel now.  Yay science.