When do you think Princess will cancel early July sailings?

CineGraphic

10 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

How long will it take them to get all the crew back and ready to roll?

Celebrity says they can be cruising 30 days after getting approval to do so.

They also said that many of their crew are already being vaccinated in their home countries.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, harkinmr said:

Crew vaccinations are a challenge, but I have seen news in the last couple of days that one Florida port and one Texas port are offering a limited number of vaccines for ship crew that will be serving US ports.

I suspect these vaccinations will be for the skeleton crews that have been on the ships for a while now, long enough for the ships to be covid-free.

Any new crew members joining these ships will need to be fully vaccinated before going to the ships to avoid having unvaccinated crew possibly introducing the virus to the ships.

• Like 1

@Earthworm JimGalveston is scheduled to vaccinate 350 crew from Carnival Breeze and Carnival Vista Monday and Tuesday. Yes, that's just the skeleton crew but ya gotta start somewhere, and it is a CCL line (heard Disney was to be vaccinated in Florida)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, harkinmr said:

I wouldn't expect that all ships will sail when a restart begins.  It will be a lot to manage for all of the cruise lines, so probably a few of ships here and there to begin with.  Some countries may not be open for cruise ships.  There will be more cancellations to come.  Crew vaccinations are a challenge, but I have seen news in the last couple of days that one Florida port and one Texas port are offering a limited number of vaccines for ship crew that will be serving US ports.  Another hitch that will impact sailings from the US and other places like the UK and Europe are travel bans on people from India.  The US put one in place yesterday.  Lots of Indian citizens serve as crew, so the cruise lines will have to find crew from other places.

Here in the U.K. ( not sure about the USA), apparently seafarers I.e. crew members are exempt from the quarantine presumably as long as they go directly to their ship and follow quarantine on board.

4 hours ago, Ombud said:

@Earthworm JimGalveston is scheduled to vaccinate 350 crew from Carnival Breeze and Carnival Vista Monday and Tuesday. Yes, that's just the skeleton crew but ya gotta start somewhere, and it is a CCL line (heard Disney was to be vaccinated in Florida)

I think that reply was meant to be in response to caribill, not me.

13 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I may be misremembering, but way back early in the cruise shutdown wasn't it said that Princess wouldn't be Carnival Corp's first line to resume, they'd probably be about a month behind? (Presumably because they didn't want Princess to risk more bad press after the Diamond Princess issues in case those early cruises had problems )

But I guess even if I am remembering correctly, that was a long time ago and things may have changed.

Edit: Maybe what I was thinking of is in the early months Princess was cancelling a month further out than the other Carnival  Corp lines, and the rest was my assumptions about that which I'm now incorrectly remembering to be actual facts.

Sorry. Just responding to this line. If 2 Carnival ships have crew vaccinated tomorrow are 2 Princess ships close to it using extra doses in LA?

On 4/30/2021 at 3:11 PM, jeeper2 said:

I certainly hope it will be prior to our May 4th due date!  We don’t owe much as the bulk of the payment is credit from a prior canceled cruise, but I don’t want to add any extra if at all possible.  

We are booked on a July 3rd Alaska cruise, out of Seattle.  I seriously doubt it will be going, which truly would not bother me at all...it is a poor substitute for the 14 day round trip from LA that we have had cancelled three times since last year. 😕

I'm guessing we're on the same cruise, and if you look at my signature, you'll see there's a note on it that says that there's about 125% chance it will cancel.  I just don't see a way for it to happen.  The CDC has indicated mid July at the earliest, Canada isn't opening Victoria, and the idea of bypassing Canada hasn't made it out of committee, and I don't know who in the US government can. get it waived besides Congress.

This was supposed to be a family cruise, paid for by my mom, with some stock proceeds she forgot she had.  We have a suite, a club mini with 3 people and a club mini with 2.  So fairly expensive.

The plan right now, if they don't cancel before Tuesday, is to pay for it all.  Then as soon as they cancel, we'll ask for refunds on the suite and the 3 room, and we'll let the two room (us) go to FCC.  We'll then immediately book September 22, because the mid July date won't work next year.  We're doing FCC on the one room because we'll definately use it, but the only person in the other room who will definately cruise again is my sister.  The 9/22 cruise actually costs less, so nobody else needs FCC.

It would save Princess so much work if they'd just cancel on Monday.

On 5/2/2021 at 6:21 PM, abbydancer said:

It would save Princess so much work if they'd just cancel on Monday.

Well, it appears we will be paying our July 3rd Alaska cruise in full today, as much as I seriously do not see it sailing.  If it does, I hope you and your family have an amazing time, and perhaps we will meet on board!  

Alaska July cruises are almost certainly a no-go with the current enforcement by Canada of the cruise ship ban until 2022 ... that may be changed sometime, but certainly not for July 2021 cruises

Now about 'early cruises' in the Caribbean ... Princess currently ( May the 4th be with you ) has scheduled (2) 7 day cruises on 7/3 and 7/10 - before the recent CDC back to sailing by 'mid-July'

not a popular idea for sure, but 'could' these be cancelled and replaced by "test cruises" of either

3 & 4 day cruises to Princess Cay or a 5-4-5 day cruises to Princess Cay ?

just a thought for discussion ...

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

not a popular idea for sure, but 'could' these be cancelled and replaced by "test cruises" of either

3 & 4 day cruises to Princess Cay or a 5-4-5 day cruises to Princess Cay ?

just a thought for discussion ...

Test cruises are no longer required if most everyone has been vaccinated.

We're booked on the July 3rd Caribbean sailing, and I hate how uncommunicative Princess has been since Jan Swartz was promoted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

and I hate how uncommunicative Princess has been since Jan Swartz was promoted.

I have no idea if Jan's promotion has anything to do with lack of communication from Princess?

I understand wanting to get resolution one way or another but, I also understand this is history in the making. Way too many moving parts right now for absolute certainty how this all initially plays out this year for any cruise line (IMO).

Cheers,

John

On 5/1/2021 at 7:02 PM, Esprit said:

Things seem to be improving in Europe compared to three weeks ago so I feel a little more optimistic our Enchanted Princess cruise with depart Civitavecchia on 10 July 2021. I’ll pay the balance on 11 May and what will be, will be!

We are August 7th. If you go then we go. Fingers crossed for you (and us) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jeeper2 said:

Well, it appears we will be paying our July 3rd Alaska cruise in full today, as much as I seriously do not see it sailing.  If it does, I hope you and your family have an amazing time, and perhaps we will meet on board!  

Yup.  We're paying ours today.  I fully expect that it will cancel within the next week or so.  We'll see what happens. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, abbydancer said:

Now the question is what will cancel first?  Alaska or Mexico (or coastal).  My money's on Alaska.  LA has a small chance of sailing.  Alaska - I see no path to it.

---

My guess:
If Princess cancels all July Alaska sailings (all Seattle round-trip), then all other July sailings from the United States (Los Angeles & Fort Lauderdale) also will be cancelled.

---

52 minutes ago, RSS from SF said:

---

My guess:
If Princess cancels all July Alaska sailings (all Seattle round-trip), then all other July sailings from the United States (Los Angeles & Fort Lauderdale) also will be cancelled.

---

Alaska will be cancelled because of Canada's stance on no cruise ships in port, I don't see how that would have anything to do with sailings out of Ft Lauderdale.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Alaska will be cancelled because of Canada's stance on no cruise ships in port, I don't see how that would have anything to do with sailings out of Ft Lauderdale.

---

YES, I also think that's very true! 👍

However, I'm also considering that Princess might not get approval to sail from any U.S. ports until by mid-July at the earliest; if that happens, my guess is that Princess would go ahead and cancel all U.S. sailings for the rest of July.
---

Edited by RSS from SF
  • Like 1

My thinking is Alaska absolutely, although I have no idea how far out they'll go.  Everything else US through mid July. Maybe they'll leave Alaska.  There may be a difference with Florida and LA, as the governor of Florida appears to be trying to ban vaccines, or at least requiring them for anything in the state.  (Good for his fundraising).  So, if that sticks, the cruiselines would have to do test cruises there, and I'll be canceling  or moving my October cruise on X out of Ft. Lauderdale.

Looking at the Princess website, if I counted correctly, there are only 11 cruises out a US port that do not got to Alaska in July.   Seattle has 9 to Alaska that are unable to be booked.   
We are booked to Mexico on July 17 with a final payment date of May 18.    Do I really want another $17k tied up in FCC?

• Like 1

We are July 17th to Mexico , final payment will be using all the credit that have of ours . I booked air with Princess as they will refund money if cancelled whereas the Airline keeps it for future use .

Trying to feel positive .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kiwimum said:

Looking at the Princess website, if I counted correctly, there are only 11 cruises out a US port that do not got to Alaska in July.   Seattle has 9 to Alaska that are unable to be booked.   
We are booked to Mexico on July 17 with a final payment date of May 18.    Do I really want another $17k tied up in FCC?

100% agree with you. We also have a Mexico cruise to pay for and am not comfortable making that final payment if we still aren’t sure the cruise will sail. I am surprised so many were willing to pay this week with the uncertainty, but I also hope for them that the cruises sail-and if those cruises sail, mine will as well 

4 minutes ago, jennybenny said:

100% agree with you. We also have a Mexico cruise to pay for and am not comfortable making that final payment if we still aren’t sure the cruise will sail. I am surprised so many were willing to pay this week with the uncertainty, but I also hope for them that the cruises sail-and if those cruises sail, mine will as well 

We have over $30k carried over from our cancelled cruises in phase 1.  Have had

many cruises cancelled with the FCD refunded and the initial $30K reassigned.   We have 9 cruises booked thru February 23.  The hardest thing is telling the grandkids sorry it’s cancelled for the 4th time.  The 2 oldest meet the requirements for Elite.

Just now, kiwimum said:

We have over $30k carried over from our cancelled cruises in phase 1.  Have had

many cruises cancelled with the FCD refunded and the initial $30K reassigned.   We have 9 cruises booked thru February 23.  The hardest thing is telling the grandkids sorry it’s cancelled for the 4th time.  The 2 oldest meet the requirements for Elite.

Wow! I’m sorry to hear that!! Yep, there is no way I would give another penny, but you have the additional heartbreak for the family cruise getting rescheduled again, if it happens. I truly hope you are not cancelled again. I hope your cruise sails and your family has an amazing trip!! 

What is happening in Australia:

In line with the periodic review of its temporary pause in operations, P&O Cruises Australia today announced a six-week extension to the pause to 17 September, 2021.

The extension to P&O's voluntary pause applies to cruises scheduled to depart from 31 July to on or before the new date of 17 September 2021, and is consistent with the line's practical approach to the operating environment.