Hal Blog New Rotterdam Update

aliaschief

53 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I thought Notes was a bourbon/whisky/scotch specialty tasting bar, which would be different from craft cocktails

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/onboard-activities/bars-lounges/notes.html

You are correct on Notes.  There are several tasting events during each cruise with a very limited number of attendees.  Price was $35 p/p to taste and rate a sample of several numbered bottles.  I don't know who selects the bottle numbers to be tasted.

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/gallery/ms-konigsdam-bars/IMG_2226.jpg

Blend is a similar venue for wine tasting with a limited number of attendees.

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/gallery/ms-konigsdam-bars/IMG_2236.jpg

I don't know how reservations for seats are made but I will add the issue to my questions for my November Nieuw Statendam cruise.

Edited by Crew News

9 minutes ago, Crew News said:

You are correct on Notes.  There are several tasting events during each cruise with a very limited number of attendees.  Price was $35 p/p to taste and rate a sample of several numbered bottles.  I don't know who selects the bottle numbers to be tasted.

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/gallery/ms-konigsdam-bars/IMG_2226.jpg

Blend is a similar venue for wine tasting with a limited number of attendees.

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/gallery/ms-konigsdam-bars/IMG_2236.jpg

I don't know how reservations for seats are made but I will add the issue to my questions for my November Nieuw Statendam cruise.

Notes is open every night with a very knowledgeable bartender. We just go and sit down and select what single malt or spirit we would like to sample or ask “Spirit Master” for suggestions. No fancy cocktails here just a very fine selection of spirits available to sample.

They may have special tasting nights like offered by the Cellar Master but we just show up and select what we want. Not many seats but at the prices of these select spirits does not promote all night park on the bar stool patrons!

It will be interesting how they will handle these small venue if social distancing is enforced.

The larger the ship, the more "watering holes" there seems to be.

Give me a properly staffed with comfortable, uncrowded seating at the bar (that eliminates the Nieuw Statendam's Ocean Bar) and a totally open Lounge as the Ocean Bar ought to be (another elimination for Nieuw Statendam) with pleasant musical entertainment in the Crow's Nest and the Ocean Bar:  I am a "happy watering hole" participant. 

But.... 

I was so dissatisfied with what I found on Nieuw Statendam in both the Crow's Nest and the Ocean Bar that I had to find another more acceptable HH site.  The Billboard on Board Bar/Lounge was my "hang-out".  

Will Rotterdam VII have the improvements that I would like to see in both the Ocean Bar as well as the Crow's Nest?  I doubt it.  

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

The larger the ship, the more "watering holes" there seems to be.

Give me a properly staffed with comfortable, uncrowded seating at the bar (that eliminates the Nieuw Statendam's Ocean Bar) and a totally open Lounge as the Ocean Bar ought to be (another elimination for Nieuw Statendam) with pleasant musical entertainment in the Crow's Nest and the Ocean Bar:  I am a "happy watering hole" participant. 

But.... 

I was so dissatisfied with what I found on Nieuw Statendam in both the Crow's Nest and the Ocean Bar that I had to find another more acceptable HH site.  The Billboard on Board Bar/Lounge was my "hang-out".  

Will Rotterdam VII have the improvements that I would like to see in both the Ocean Bar as well as the Crow's Nest?  I doubt it.  

My friend we are probably opposites. I could care less about “whale designed” dining rooms, inappropriate bar locations etc. We just want to be safely back at sea on a Damm Ship.

At this point a garbage scow up the Hudson would be exciting..

We just want to float!😁😎

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, aliaschief said:

It will be interesting how they will handle these small venue if social distancing is enforced.

Serious question.  If all pax and crew are vaccinated, and I know that's not yet a done deal, why would there be a need for social distancing while onboard? Or masks for that matter? Seems very belt and suspenderish.

36 minutes ago, crazyforcorgis said:

Serious question.  If all pax and crew are vaccinated, and I know that's not yet a done deal, why would there be a need for social distancing while onboard? Or masks for that matter? Seems very belt and suspenderish.

Welcome to Cruise Critic crazyforcorgis! I have the same thought that with all onboard vaccinated, the mask and distancing should not be necessary.  CDC says I can get together indoors with my vaccinated friends and family.  Does anyone have any medical information saying they would be necessary?

Thanks,

~Nancy  (originally from Oak Ridge!)

4 hours ago, crazyforcorgis said:

That was the point of my post! Who knows?

19 hours ago, aliaschief said:

My friend we are probably opposites.

I think not.

We just want to float!

As do I!

At this point a garbage scow up the Hudson would be exciting..

Will the Wine Steward have a quality New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc to serve?  😃

• Like 2

On 5/4/2021 at 12:44 PM, Crew News said:

Update on Blend is $47 p/p and $59 per couple each session.

On 5/4/2021 at 7:20 AM, Himself said:

Loved it.  Thank you for sharing the information.

I went back to the blog tonight and clicked on to a little tour of the Rotterdam with Captain Timmons.  It was most interesting.

15 hours ago, Himself said:

I went back to the blog tonight and clicked on to a little tour of the Rotterdam with Captain Timmons.  It was most interesting.

It is Captain Werner Timmers. 😉 ask him about the well endowed elephant in Catania 🤪

and actually, there will be 2 great Captains onboard, with Captain Kevin Beirnaert acting as Staff Captain.

On 5/12/2021 at 10:39 AM, Despegue said:

It is Captain Werner Timmers. 😉 ask him about the well endowed elephant in Catania 🤪

and actually, there will be 2 great Captains onboard, with Captain Kevin Beirnaert acting as Staff Captain.

Forced demotion (due to the Covid malaise and its horrendous impact on the cruise industry) for our recently promoted Belgian captain 😔 Unfortunately, there are/were others at HAL

• Thanks 1

On 5/12/2021 at 10:39 AM, Despegue said:

Rotterdam VII's "take-out" Captain Werner Timmers (3rd from the right) with some of his staff in front of his ship at the Fincantieri yard in Marghera, Italy

May be an image of 1 person, standing and text that says 'ROTTERDAM'

HAL has, as of yet, not announced the name of her godmother. Still hoping for this young lady to carry on a long tradition.....

image.jpeg.c17a3503ded94050d128fb2eb27da38a.jpeg

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Forced demotion (due to the Covid malaise and its horrendous impact on the cruise industry) for our recently promoted Belgian captain 😔 Unfortunately, there are/were others at HAL

Had dinner with Captain Kevin Beirnaret a few years ago on the Prisendam. Fine Officer. I was surprised he was back as Staff Captain because I had heard he was selected as Captain of a new ship.

Thanks for update!

4 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Had dinner with Captain Kevin Beirnaret a few years ago on the Prisendam. Fine Officer. I was surprised he was back as Staff Captain because I had heard he was selected as Captain of a new ship.

Thanks for update!

From Captain Schoonderbeek's blog although no longer 100% up-to-date

https://www.captainalbert.com/current-captains-and-their-schedules/captain-kevin-beirnaert/

5 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Who is this young woman?  

The Dutch Crown Princess, daughter of the current King. Her name is HRH Princess Catharina-Amalia. Her mom, grandmother, great grandmother and great-great grandmother have all been godmother to HAL ships in the past

HAL Godmothers 2016 KODM HRH Princess Maxima in Rotterdam #3.jpg

HAL Godmothers 2010 NADM IV HRH Princess Maxima in Venice #3.jpg

HAL Godmothers 2008 EUDM HRH Queen Beatrix in Rotterdam #3.jpg

HAL Godmothers 1957 SADM IV HRH Princess Beatrix at sea.jpg

HAL Godmothers 1959 RTDM V HRH Queen Juliana in Rotterdam #2.jpg

HAL Godmothers 1937 NADM II HRH Queen Wilhelmina in Rotterdam.jpg

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 4

Just now, Copper10-8 said:

The Dutch Crown Princess, daughter of the current King. Her name is HRH Princess Catharina-Amalia. Her mom, grandmother and great grandmother have all been godmother to HAL ships in the past

Thanks Copper John!  Sounds like an excellent idea to me as well.  

Better than Oprah Winfrey??  Oh my 😉  

PS - that was sarcasm.  I totally agree with a godmother with some Dutch heritage/meaning vs an American ex-talk show host.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 2