Hal Blog New Rotterdam Update

aliaschief

15 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Initially wasn’t Captain Kevin Beirnaert selected to be the new Captain of new Veendam before they changed new build to Rotterdam?

Did you mean Ryndam to Rotterdam 😉 and no, he was never selected as the take-out captain of the new ship; they usually select more senior captains for that position

1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

Did you mean Ryndam to Rotterdam 😉 and no, he was never selected as the take-out captain of the new ship; they usually select more senior captains for that position

Ryndam! I just swear I was excited for him for his promotion to Captain on a previous Hal announcement!  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Ryndam! I just swear I was excited for him for his promotion to Captain on a previous Hal announcement!  

He got Nieuw Statendam for his first command until Covid hit and he eventually went back to the yard in Marghera for Rotterdam VII, but once again as staff captain

Edited by Copper10-8

3 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

He got Nieuw Statendam for his first command until Covid hit and he eventually went back to the yard in Marghera for Rotterdam VII, but once again as staff captain

Thank you Sir.

• Like 1

It seems to me that there has been some sudden switches of Masters in recent years.  Not going to mention names because I am not sure my memory of those are accurate, but, I recall the gentleman who was the Master of the Nieuw Statendam during her new building process was replaced by a different man who, if my memory is correct, came from a desk job in Seattle when the ship actually entered service.  

56 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

It seems to me that there has been some sudden switches of Masters in recent years.  Not going to mention names because I am not sure my memory of those are accurate, but, I recall the gentleman who was the Master of the Nieuw Statendam during her new building process was replaced by a different man who, if my memory is correct, came from a desk job in Seattle when the ship actually entered service.  

You're referring to Captain Darin Bowland, the only Canadian, being replaced by Captain Sijbe de Boer on Nieuw Statendam as her take out master. Capt. de Boer had been fleet cCaptain (Corporate Marine Quality Assurance) out of Seattle, prior to that move. Capt. Bowland subsequently took command of Nieuw S' older sister Koningsdam

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

You're referring to Captain Darin Bowland, the only Canadian, being replaced by Captain Sijbe de Boer on Nieuw Statendam as her take out master. Capt. de Boer had been fleet cCaptain (Corporate Marine Quality Assurance) out of Seattle, prior to that move. Capt. Bowland subsequently took command of Nieuw S' older sister Koningsdam

My memory still works!  😀  Just wasn't sure of the names of the gentlemen.  

• Like 1