10 hours ago, CRUISER94044 said:

I am booked for my first TP from Vancouver to Japan in Sept 2022.  I would like to have sunonmybalcony as much as possible.  Should I books the port or starboard side? Thanks

Without knowing the ports, I will assume some type of Great Circle routing that probably visits some Alaskan ports.

For the initial few days you would be steering NW'ly courses, with sunrise on the Stbd qtr and then sun on the port side for most of the day. Going across the top, steering predominently W'ly courses, you will have sun (on the rare occassion you can see it) on the port side. Heading down into Asia you will have sunrise on the port side and sunset on the stbd side.

Accepting that you may rarely see clear skies and the sun, I would book the Port side.

• 4 weeks later...

I second the port side (booked same cruise, port side). It will probably be cold & windy, so plan for that either way. A former Alaskan, I wore winter gear sailing out of Homer in the end of August in choppy seas (never again). For that matter, out of Seward in July I was grateful for ear warmers!

Check out our roll call....pretty active for so far out. Some great people on there and some have taken this cruise before.

Rainey

• Like 1