Celebrity vs. Viking - Thinking of trying Viking

rvpitt

36 minutes ago, rvpitt said:

Thanks everyone.  After many Celebrity cruises, we have decided to try Viking, albeit well into the future.  We booked the Panama Canal cruise on their new ship (Neptune) in December 2022. Since this is one of the first cruises for this ship, we are taking a risk that there will be no delays.  

Thanks for all the comments and references to other topics.  We are looking forward to trying something different.

Congratulations, you have booked the first segment of the 2022/23 World Cruise, which departs Ft Lauderdale and then embarks additional World Cruisers in L/A. We are boarding in L/A.

At present, Viking haven't published a TA to get the ship to Florida, but we are watching the schedule and will most likely book it once published. Hoping the ship is accepted from the yard in late November.

Enjoy the WC experience, even if only a segment.

We did it!  Today we booked Alaska.  I wanted a smaller ship and longer then 7 nights.  We debated 2022, actually it’s what we wanted but because everyone who has credits has booked then there are few cabins left and no opportunity to do an after extension.  So we booked for 2023 in a costal side cabin with the 6 night extension.  It wasn’t inexpensive but this will probably be my one and only to Alaska so we wanted to see as much as possible.  While we could do the land portion on our own it takes a lot of planning and effort.  The DH could drive from Anchorage to Denali but this just seems easier.  We could drop the extension before final payment if we changed our minds.  I may add air later after pricing out 2 one way tickets.  I did get the final payment down to 14 months prior even though she first said 18 months.  

If anyone has tips for this trip let me know.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We could drop the extension before final payment if we changed our minds.

You can probably drop the extension after final payment. Cancellation penalties don't kick in until 120 days prior to sailing and at that point, you will still be able to change your flights easily since Viking doesn't start ticketing until much closer to departure..

Hopefully, 4th time's the charm.  After our 2020 river cruise was cancelled, followed by July on the Mediterranean, then August Italian Sojourn, we've just booked Malta + Adriatic Treasures on the Venus, for July.  Fingers crossed...again...