CDC issues test cruise instructions

caribill

One positive I read today with regards to vaccinations, it is not only those approved in the US but includes those approved by the WHO for EUA.   A big sigh of relief from me as I received AstraZeneca in a trial in the US.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NavArch64 said:

All of this appears to be under the CSO time frame until Nov 1. Maybe all of this goes away on Nov 1 ... or maybe the CSO gets extended. Who knows?

I sure hope so.  But this really sounds extreme.  Why not have some restrictions and see what if any spread occurs?  Heck, can't they also use results seen on other cruises that have or will have been ongoing?

Frankly, I'm no fan of the CDC as they tend to be offer extreme guidances.  When they get the chance to actually require compliance with their orders.. it's hold on for the ride.  Just a quick example... why a 6ft rule if one is vaccinated?   I don't think they even suggest that now in the US.  

Their track record of late leaves much to be desired.

Edited by Redwing55
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, smellycruzer said:

Where do we sign up to volunteer for the simulated voyage with Princess?

They do not need simulated voyages if they meet the passenger and cruise staff vaccination levels the CDC asks for.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, smellycruzer said:

Correct. We'll see then if they can meet those levels.

I do not see that being a problem.

I think any new crew will need to be fully vaccinated before joining the ships and that passengers eligible for approved vaccines will need to also be fully vaccinated.

Other cruise lines are reporting that they are having no problem having their new crew members getting vaccinated in their home countries.

• Like 3

This is a step in the right direction.  We shall she how it plays out.  I think the cruise lines who are starting up in June out of foreign ports will set the direction of July cruising.  If the Bahamas, Bermuda, St. Martin cruises go ok in June,  then the cruises out of US ports mid July may happen.  Good times.  Have a happy day.😀

• Like 2

5 hours ago, caribill said:

Other cruise lines are reporting that they are having no problem having their new crew members getting vaccinated in their home countries.

Which ones ? Certainly not the case for the Seacations operating out of the UK this summer.  

How hard would it be for Princess to set up a one ship test cruise ?

Would Port Everglades be open to this between now ( now being however long it takes to set that up ) and "mid-July" ? 

A test cruise would be under very strict guidelines, protocols , and procedures and 'could be' a very good measuring stick to see where Princess stands, what's good, and what needs to be improved before paying customers come on board

I guess I'm not smart enough to see why this isn't a win-win for Princess at this time

If the ship 'passes' the test cruise - then that ship doesn't have to adhere to the 98% - 95% 'rules, right ?

14 hours ago, NavArch64 said:

According to the topic title, news articles, and your link this is only for simulated voyages. To an uneducated person (me) it looks like this is just a way for the CDC to reinforce that they only want voyages where almost everyone [98% crew / 95% pax] are 2 weeks after being fully vaccinated. That these "test" or "simulated" cruises are only needed when vax rates won't be adhered to?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, voljeep said:

How hard would it be for Princess to set up a one ship test cruise ?

Would Port Everglades be open to this between now ( now being however long it takes to set that up ) and "mid-July" ? 

A test cruise would be under very strict guidelines, protocols , and procedures and 'could be' a very good measuring stick to see where Princess stands, what's good, and what needs to be improved before paying customers come on board

I guess I'm not smart enough to see why this isn't a win-win for Princess at this time

If the ship 'passes' the test cruise - then that ship doesn't have to adhere to the 98% - 95% 'rules, right ?

They would have to have test cruises ship by ship to get them certified not just one ship. Much easier to insist on vaccination proof and avoid the test cruises

19 hours ago, joepeka said:

Well, the shore excursions/independent exploration requirement is going to be a show stopper for us, unless it is rescinded before our 2022 cruises. 

This wont stop us for our short 3 day for the fall it - only has 1 stop at Princess Cays and a day at sea - but looking to next year, if I can get off the ship and wander where I want I wont cruise. Exploring on my own is the thing I like best about cruising.

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

According to the topic title, news articles, and your link this is only for simulated voyages. To an uneducated person (me) it looks like this is just a way for the CDC to reinforce that they only want voyages where almost everyone [98% crew / 95% pax] are 2 weeks after being fully vaccinated. That these "test" or "simulated" cruises are only needed when vax rates won't be adhered to?

oh, I hadn't realized that. Good point (I hope).

11 minutes ago, memoak said:

They would have to have test cruises ship by ship to get them certified not just one ship. Much easier to insist on vaccination proof and avoid the test cruises

back-up plan - one ship at a time ...

• Like 1

As I understand it, each company must for each ship that they wish to sail from a US port ....

Apply for a COVID-19 Conditional Sailing Certificate in Phase 3 in order to have "restricted" voyages in Phase 4 whether there was a "simulated" voyage for that ship in Phase2B or not.

The 98%crew/95% guest VAX agreement with the CDC only allows the company to skip Phase 2B for each ship so named to adhere to this agreement.

However, the the CSO Operations Manual still applies to all voyages that sail from US ports before Nov 1. Until further notice from the CDC.

Finally, there have been no applications by any company for a COVID19 CSC under the CSO for any ship to date as far as the public knows.

Edited by NavArch64
  • Like 2

How can ships sail from US ports in July if there are no applications to date to the CDC for COVID19 Conditional Sailing Certificates under the Conditional Sailing Order for any ship in any company's fleet?

When will such applications be made? For which ships by which companies? It is May 6 on my calendar. All of the publicity over the last few days saying "We are B_A_C_K" is nothing more than BS, unless the applications start to be made .... one ship at a time. Obviously, many have made or will shortly make final payments for July voyages that will not sail.

19 hours ago, joepeka said:

So perhaps the Cruise Industry News story just lifted the buffet, distancing and shore excursion items from that operations manual without mentioning that it was only for simulated or restricted passenger cruises? 

You do realize that "restricted" cruises are any that are granted approval to sail while the CSO is in effect?  So, if a cruise line goes the vaccination route, skips the simulated cruises, and starts revenue cruises, these are "restricted" cruises, and must meet the requirements listed in the "operations manual for simulated and restricted voyages under the CSO", meaning the buffet, distancing, and shore excursion rules.

The CDC was a bit confusing in publishing two documents in one day, one which referred to "simulated" cruises, and one which referred to "simulated and restricted" cruises.  Anyone hoping to cruise soon needs to read the "operations manual" and not the "technical instructions".

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

You do realize that "restricted" cruises are any that are granted approval to sail while the CSO is in effect?  So, if a cruise line goes the vaccination route, skips the simulated cruises, and starts revenue cruises, these are "restricted" cruises, and must meet the requirements listed in the "operations manual for simulated and restricted voyages under the CSO", meaning the buffet, distancing, and shore excursion rules.

The CDC was a bit confusing in publishing two documents in one day, one which referred to "simulated" cruises, and one which referred to "simulated and restricted" cruises.  Anyone hoping to cruise soon needs to read the "operations manual" and not the "technical instructions".

Well, the communications certainly confused me as well as others; it did not help any that the CIN story wasn't more specific but as you say, the CSO is the law now for all sailings until modified or rescinded. Thanks as always Chief.

12 hours ago, caribill said:

I do not see that being a problem.

I think any new crew will need to be fully vaccinated before joining the ships and that passengers eligible for approved vaccines will need to also be fully vaccinated.

If you cant ask for proof of vaccination in Florida, how can they sail from there and meet the cdc requirements?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

This wont stop us for our short 3 day for the fall it - only has 1 stop at Princess Cays and a day at sea - but looking to next year, if I can get off the ship and wander where I want I wont cruise. Exploring on my own is the thing I like best about cruising.

We are crossing our fingers that things will change by January. That is our next of 5 future cruises

As a Brit, this whole CDC conversation just amazes me. Many things about the US seem strange to ne- you can drive, but can't buy a drink, own a machine gun etc,  - but overall normally the tendency is towards liberty, not the bureaucracy we like in the UK. 

Yet, here in the UK we have numerous cruises starting up this summer, with no restrictions, other than would be applied to land resorts. 

Why and how has the CDC  been able to  acquire these draconian powers, that bear no relation to the measures required for CV19 security in a cruise environment? 

32 minutes ago, wowzz said:

As a Brit, this whole CDC conversation just amazes me. Many things about the US seem strange to ne- you can drive, but can't buy a drink, own a machine gun etc,  - but overall normally the tendency is towards liberty, not the bureaucracy we like in the UK. 

Yet, here in the UK we have numerous cruises starting up this summer, with no restrictions, other than would be applied to land resorts. 

Why and how has the CDC  been able to  acquire these draconian powers, that bear no relation to the measures required for CV19 security in a cruise environment? 

The CDC are the enforcers of the Vessel Sanitation Program which is to prevent and control disease transmission on ships. Here's a link:

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/default.htm

2 minutes ago, joepeka said:

The CDC are the enforcers of the Vessel Sanitation Program which is to prevent and control disease transmission on ships. Here's a link:

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/default.htm

Thanks  - I understand their remit, but they do seem to be enjoying their new found powers a little too much! They also seem to want cruise lines to apply restrictions that have no logic whatsoever,  such as distancing between loungers on deck. Just sheer nincompoopery.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1