What is Your Favorite Desserts you had on your Cruise......

BklynBoy8

We enjoy Flambe's when available on board.

Cherry Jubilee and Peach Melba Flambe always enjoyed.

Would like to try Banana's Foster someday. Also the International Cheese Platter.

Got some new items to try in the future.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, clo said:

Creme brulee with a topping of a crushed pistachio cracker on top that was flamed.

Never saw it with crushed pistachio just the sugar..

4 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Never saw it with crushed pistachio just the sugar..

I've made them with 'just' the sugar but this was ridiculously good...and generally I'm not much of a dessert person.

creme brulee.jpg

• Like 1

Not much of a dessert person either but I if I get a sweet tooth I gravitate towards things like custards, zabaglione, and creme brulee and that one with the pistachios looks awesome.  Thanks for sharing!  Very often I go for a cheese plate to finish the meal if it is offered.

One cruise about 25 years ago they had Macadamia Ice Cream one night, I had double helping, it wasn’t on the menu again for the rest of the cruise, but our waiter managed to find me a couple of scoops each night, I had it in combination with pretty much everything on the desert menu.

On 5/6/2021 at 1:21 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

We enjoy Flambe's when available on board.

Cherry Jubilee and Peach Melba Flambe always enjoyed.

I'll add Crepes Suzette with the others.  Having them flamed tableside makes them more delicious and special.  

When ships could do the Baked Alaska parades and then serve the dessert, that was special.  It was good.  The rendition of Baked Alaska that is often offered recently has been uniformily disappointing.  Even in HAL's PG, the individual Baked Alaska available, I have learned to avoid.  Better options are available.  If one still have "room for dessert"!  😧

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I'll add Crepes Suzette with the others.  Having them flamed tableside makes them more delicious and special.  When ships could do the Baked Alaska parades and then serve the dessert, that was special.  It was good.  The rendition of Baked Alaska that is often offered recently has been uniformily disappointing.  Even in HAL's PG, the individual Baked Alaska available, I have learned to avoid.  Better options are available.  If one still have "room for dessert"!  😧

Thank you.... I forgot that one.....

Always from the tableside is the best. Not from the bigger one the Mgr. makes for all the waiters to pickup for their tables. That is why we like the restaurants with that extra VIP service.

I too like the Baked Alaska in the Restaurant. I actually mastered the Alaska at home. It's a treat to make it at home. Not that many ingredients to make it. Pound cake, Ice Cream, Eggs Whites etc....

• Like 1

When we first started cruising, Royal had the magic mango parfait on the dinner menu. It was a frozen mango mousse, basically, and had a lot of flavor. It went away when the changed menus and was replaced with a banana version that wasn't bad, but did not please my banana-hating hubby at all.

I like table-side prep including crepe Suzette but often make crepes at home (thought don't usually light them on fire, I should try that) so might move on to something I have never had.

• Like 2

On 5/14/2021 at 8:03 PM, seamus69 said:

If I am not in the mood for dessert or a cheese board

Help me to learn.  I have had a few tablemates that would order a cheese board for dessert.  I never understood why some enjoy a variety of cheeses, crackers/breads, and a few fruits for dessert.  To me, cheeses/crackers/fruit are an appetizer or something to nibble on during Happy Hour.  

What are your thoughts?  Why do you enjoy a cheese board?  

7 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Help me to learn.  I have had a few tablemates that would order a cheese board for dessert.  I never understood why some enjoy a variety of cheeses, crackers/breads, and a few fruits for dessert.  To me, cheeses/crackers/fruit are an appetizer or something to nibble on during Happy Hour.  

I never thought of this for dessert after having full meal. I would think it is filling. May try it on the next sailing.

On 5/19/2021 at 1:05 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

I never thought of this for dessert after having full meal. I would think it is filling. May try it on the next sailing.

I usually ask for a cheese board at least 2-3 times a cruise instead of dessert, even if it isn't on the menu.  I just prefer a savory snack to a sweet one.

• Like 2

Not a dessert but still served at the end of each meal, those Petite Fours & truffles that we had to look at and try to fit room in to add one more thing to our appetite.

Those tiny morsels so small but so rich and filling.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, seamus69 said:

sometimes I go for a nice liqueur like Baileys or Godiva after a meal.

Mine is Frangelico straight up or Sambuca on the rocks.

Mostly I have my drink while we wait before the first seating theater show. 

I remember once on the QE2 before the show I ordered a Sambuca straight. Placed in the cordial glass was a coffee bean and the server lite the drink for about a half a minute. He explained it would release a slight aroma and taste to the drink. 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 6:27 PM, GUT2407 said:

I love a good cheese board,(any course, any meal)  unfortunately most ship MDRs don’t do a very good one.

Me too......there are times I don't want anything sweet and cheese is not filling (in my view)........I have been sailing recently on smaller vessels and the food, including the cheeses has been outstanding🙂

An after dinner drink to go with it.........ahhhh.............so good.

On 5/18/2021 at 5:24 PM, rkacruiser said:

There are times I don't want sweet.......cheeses can be lovely and yes, they are delicious for Happy Hour but after a good meal, some cheese can be heavenly. Cheese, a light cracker and an after dinner drink..........

Why do I enjoy it? It tastes delicious🙂

4 minutes ago, Lois R said:

some cheese can be heavenly. Cheese, a light cracker and an after dinner drink

What cheese(s) would you suggest?  What cracker?  A water cracker?  Don''t need any suggestions for an after drink beverage.  😀

On 5/25/2021 at 10:46 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

Petite Fours & truffles that we had to look at and try

HAL's Pinnacle Grill and Rudi's Sel de Mer produces a presentation that is really over the top after such a dinner in either venue.  The confections look--and are--so good!  

During my MSC cruise as a Yacht Club guest, my Butler kept leaving me platters of such goodies when I would return to my suite for the evening.  In my younger days, my Mother would have been proud of me:  I would have cleaned the platter clean.  Not a wise thing to now do now.  

On 5/19/2021 at 1:05 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

Maybe I am too much of a traditionalist, but a dessert of a well made dessert that is unpretentious and delicious is a good ending for a dinner for me.  

Often, at home, a dessert of a Mandarin Orange or a few branches of grapes seems just "right" for me.  

45 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

What cheese(s) would you suggest?  What cracker?  A water cracker?  Don''t need any suggestions for an after drink beverage.  😀

HAL's Pinnacle Grill and Rudi's Sel de Mer produces a presentation that is really over the top after such a dinner in either venue.  The confections look--and are--so good!  

During my MSC cruise as a Yacht Club guest, my Butler kept leaving me platters of such goodies when I would return to my suite for the evening.  In my younger days, my Mother would have been proud of me:  I would have cleaned the platter clean.  Not a wise thing to now do now.  

Maybe I am too much of a traditionalist, but a dessert of a well made dessert that is unpretentious and delicious is a good ending for a dinner for me.  

Often, at home, a dessert of a Mandarin Orange or a few branches of grapes seems just "right" for me.  

What cheeses?  You mean here at home?......I love all kinds of cheese.......from a flavorful goat cheese to a smoked gouda........brie is excellent with some apricots.........any type of cracker that you like......a water cracker is good.......I love whole wheat.  A camembert is a lovely soft cheese......I also love Havarti. It is mellow...cut it up and goes great on a cracker.

• Like 1