What is Your Favorite Desserts you had on your Cruise......

BklynBoy8

On 2/5/2022 at 4:56 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

Always feel the cheese plate may be too much and filling.

While I realize that I can eat as much or as little as I want, I have thought the same as you.  A cheese plate is appropriate at Happy Hour.  Just seems wrong, to me, as a dessert.  I have had tablemates that would have a dessert and then a cheese plate to end their dinner.  

I have ordered a cheese plate from Room Service on HAL ships and have wondered why I bothered to do so at times.  A few small pieces of cheeses and 2-3 packages of ordinary crackers are served.  At least, it's a snack to have with a glass or more of wine while I sit on my veranda watching sailaway.   

On 2/5/2022 at 11:58 AM, seamus69 said:

unless they have some sort of custard like a zabaione or creme brulee.

I am a "custard" type of dessert diner.  Such desserts are something that I don't often have and I do enjoy them when I can order them.  

14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I am a "custard" type of dessert diner.  Such desserts are something that I don't often have and I do enjoy them when I can order them.  

They also don't fill you up much so even if I have had a full meal, I can have custard or mousse and I don't feel overstuffed.  Also true of the cheese plate...

• Like 2

On 2/10/2022 at 5:11 PM, rkacruiser said:

Love love love custards, flans, etc.  Try and find a good one.  Most I have had onboard were fairly bland.  I would love a good Baba Au Rhum.  The best one I ever had was onboard the SS France.  It was called a Sicilian Creme.  This was a thin layer of chocolate brownie like cake with a layer of intense pistachio flan all covered with an English Cream that tasted of intense vanilla…absolutely out of this world!  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Love love love custards, flans, etc.

Is it too difficult for a dessert Chef to produce an exceptional flan on the ships of the size that they are today?  I wonder if such a dessert could be produced on the ships of Seabourn or Silverseas.  

15 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Is it too difficult for a dessert Chef to produce an exceptional flan on the ships of the size that they are today?  I wonder if such a dessert could be produced on the ships of Seabourn or Silverseas.  

The mass market lines tend to skimp on quality ingredients.  How many times have we heard about the bland desserts onboard?  

I'm sure Lois can attest to the exceptional quality found on Silversea where they don’t skimp on anything.  You get what you pay for.  

• Thanks 1

On 2/11/2022 at 6:08 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I would love a good Baba Au Rhum.

We are lucky living on the Bensonhurst-Bath Beach area of Brooklyn to have this delicious dish anytime. Oh, that is right, I had one last week we ordered and had delivered with our bakery order.

We have several versions like Rhum, French Cream or Cannoli Cream they make. Depends what I feel like that day. I truly like and can eat a whole one....Lobster Tail w French Cream.

16 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

We are lucky living on the Bensonhurst-Bath Beach area of Brooklyn to have this delicious dish anytime. Oh, that is right, I had one last week we ordered and had delivered with our bakery order.

We have several versions like Rhum, French Cream or Cannoli Cream they make. Depends what I feel like that day. I truly like and can eat a whole one....Lobster Tail w French Cream.

My mouth is watering!  We have an Italian bakery nearby that makes a really good Baba with an Italian pastry cream.  They also make several different cakes that are cream filled and rum soaked…absolutely delicious.  Unfortunately my diet precludes partaking of such more than once a year…sighhhhh.

26 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

My mouth is watering!  We have an Italian bakery nearby that makes a really good Baba with an Italian pastry cream.  They also make several different cakes that are cream filled and rum soaked…absolutely delicious.  Unfortunately my diet precludes partaking of such more than once a year…sighhhhh.

Don't know if I am allowed to post the site for my bakery but Mouth Watering isn't the word.

Tasty Pastry in Brooklyn always has about 10 people outside the door on Sundays waiting to enjoy their wares..... Mini and Regular size Italian Pastries are outstanding.

Also their breads are great including fresh out of the oven Warm Prosciutto Bread. I like it with a good Red Wine..

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Don't know if I am allowed to post the site for my bakery but Mouth Watering isn't the word.

Tasty Pastry in Brooklyn always has about 10 people outside the door on Sundays waiting to enjoy their wares..... Mini and Regular size Italian Pastries are outstanding.

Also their breads are great including fresh out of the oven Warm Prosciutto Bread. I like it with a good Red Wine..

Prosciutto bread…you’re killing me BB!  Only in New York.  

10 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

although I enjoy sweet baked goods, Warm Prosciutto Bread is more up my alley!

3 hours ago, seamus69 said:

although I enjoy sweet baked goods, Warm Prosciutto Bread is more up my alley!

They actually get the prosciutto from the same butcher that makes sausages for their sausage rolls.

Hot and crispy is the outer surface of the bread but so moist inside which spreads the oil into the bread.

40f8b3_6648ffc6bc9f413f9e23d38be16e0310_mv2.webp

• Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 12:06 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

They actually get the prosciutto from the same butcher that makes sausages for their sausage rolls.

Hot and crispy is the outer surface of the bread but so moist inside which spreads the oil into the bread.

40f8b3_6648ffc6bc9f413f9e23d38be16e0310_mv2.webp

You actually got me thinking about prosciutto and I made prosciutto-wrapped Asparagus part of my Valentine's Day Dinner.  Thanks!  now if I can just find that bread down here somewhere...

A mundane dessert, but one that I enjoy at this time of the year:  a quality Cherry Pie.  President's Day is approaching and I always try to have a Cherry Pie to enjoy to celebrate this Day and remembering our First President of the United States and his contributions to our country.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

A mundane dessert, but one that I enjoy at this time of the year:  a quality Cherry Pie.  President's Day is approaching and I always try to have a Cherry Pie to enjoy to celebrate this Day and remembering our First President of the United States and his contributions to our country.  

Mundane dessert??  How about a cinnamon graham cracker custard pie with a meringue topping??  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Mundane dessert??  How about a cinnamon graham cracker custard pie with a meringue topping??  

Sounds interesting although I would probably prefer whipped cream to meringue.

Which brings up a question I've had in the back of my mind for a long time. In recent years I've enjoyed many pavlovas and macaroons, which use egg whites.  When large quantities of egg whites are used for those, what do they make with all the yolks?  Or do they buy gallons of pre-separated whites for this purpose?

14 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Which brings up a question I've had in the back of my mind for a long time. In recent years I've enjoyed many pavlovas and macaroons, which use egg whites.  When large quantities of egg whites are used for those, what do they make with all the yolks?  Or do they buy gallons of pre-separated whites for this purpose?

Lots of creme brûlée of course!

On 2/20/2022 at 5:37 AM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Lots of creme brûlée of course!

My biggest treat is when coming home making a homemade Baked Alaska.

Really easy to put to together. Alway enjoy making Meringue and toasting it in the broiler.

Still mastering the Cherry Jub....to top it off..