Year long Cruise

Mary229

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

Do you use a travel agent or HAL?  Is there a website that shows the meanderings of a single cruise ship for the year.  Let's say I picked the Zaandam, is there some where I can easily see its full year's journey on a map.  

We figure out where we want to go, find cruises that work and book through a TA.  The cost savings really add up on these longer voyages with a TA.

• Like 3

For someone who has never sailed the World Cruise, how do I get wait listed for the 2024.  I understand the WCs fill fast.

You have to wait until the cruise is offered.  It’s only been the last year that sold out.  2022/2023 are skewed by the pandemic but typically before 2020 the ship sailed with 60-70% full cruise passengers.  And don’t forget the Zaandam is larger then the Amsterdam.

• Like 1

Do you use a travel agent or HAL?  Is there a website that shows the meanderings of a single cruise ship for the year.  Let's say I picked the Zaandam, is there some where I can easily see its full year's journey on a map.  

You can do it on HAL’s website by just picking one ship.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KirkNC said:

You can do it on HAL’s website by just picking one ship.

I tried that but I think currently it is not giving as comprehensive overview of a true full year.  I guess I will keeping gathering logistical information then pick a ship later.  I will await the 2024 WC itinerary but now I am leaning toward the current Noordam offerings in Asia and Down Under.  I am hoping the 2024 might have an Asian focus

10 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I tried that but I think currently it is not giving as comprehensive overview of a true full year.  I guess I will keeping gathering logistical information then pick a ship later.  I will await the 2024 WC itinerary but now I am leaning toward the current Noordam offerings in Asia and Down Under.  I am hoping the 2024 might have an Asian focus

Not sure if or when but in the past every two or three years HAL offers a Grand Asia RT I think from San Diego.  It’s about 80 days, goes Japan, China, SE Asia down to Australia and New Zealand before heading back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KirkNC said:

Not sure if or when but in the past every two or three years HAL offers a Grand Asia RT I think from San Diego.  It’s about 80 days, goes Japan, China, SE Asia down to Australia and New Zealand before heading back.

Thanks for that.  I will definitely look at that and see how it integrates into my larger plan. 

2 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

We always do a inside cabin

Hi Gail and Marty.  Until the covid closure, we were trying to do 3 cruises per year, usually 3 to 4 weeks each.  Your schedule is so much more!  I was surprised to see you book inside, but have talked with others who are five star or even Presidents Club that also do inside.  We did have a large inside on the Zuiderdam that was nice, but tried an inside on the Nieuw Statendam that was unacceptably small.

4 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Hi Gail and Marty.  Until the covid closure, we were trying to do 3 cruises per year, usually 3 to 4 weeks each.  Your schedule is so much more!  I was surprised to see you book inside, but have talked with others who are five star or even Presidents Club that also do inside.  We did have a large inside on the Zuiderdam that was nice, but tried an inside on the Nieuw Statendam that was unacceptably small.

The new HAL ships have the smallest inside cabins in the fleet.

• Like 2

We had an inside on the Koningsdam and yes it was small. It was comfortable for a 12 day cruise with only 1 sea day but I wouldn’t do that for a long cruise.   We are booked on an inside on the Zuiderdam next year and according to Ruth those are also micro cabins but is it only for 4 nights of a very expensive and long journey. 

We had an inside on the Koningsdam and yes it was small. It was comfortable for a 12 day cruise with only 1 sea day but I wouldn’t do that for a long cruise.   We are booked on an inside on the Zuiderdam next year and according to Ruth those are also micro cabins but is it only for 4 nights of a very expensive and long journey. 

On the Pinnacle class you really need to get an I class cabin.  That’s the biggest inside.  It includes a sofa.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KirkNC said:

On the Pinnacle class you really need to get an I class cabin.  That’s the biggest inside.  It includes a sofa.

You really need to do your homework in picking a cabin on the newer ships.  We cruised hundreds of days on the Amsterdam in an inside cabin and were always comfortable with a sofa and coffee table so we could comfortably eat there.  We recently were in a balcony cabin on a Princess ship and were expected to sit on the bed to eat if we ordered breakfast in the room.  I seems to be the bigger the ship the smaller the cabin.  The only exception was some of the insides on the Prinsendam.

• Like 1

For cabin selection, besides cost, my first concern is location.  I do like a good location and since I am not always first to the party I sometimes have had to take a smaller cabin to enjoy a good location.   I do see the need to plan early and consider size for a longer journey.  I learned that lesson by being upgraded to a Lanai, which as fantastic as the location is, it was cramped for such a long cruise and I spent time daily tidying up to keep it livable.  

14 hours ago, Gerd said:

Hi, 

so god will, I do this autumn a 50 days cruise around the Nord-Atlantic, and then 143 days on a world cruise, and extend this cruise while around Europe sailing -> all together 229 days ….

Best G E R D

I look forward to reading your blog, Gerd. Gute Reise.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi whogo,

thanks for your comment  - but - the autumn cruise was unfortunately already canceled related to Corona restrictions

and will now be sailed in autumn 2023, including me, so god will….

So now I do look forward that my 179 days Grand World / Europe cruise will actually sail…

All the best to anybody – Dankeschön 

G E R D

my web-log :   https://gefewere2016.de/

On 5/6/2021 at 7:15 PM, St Pete Cruiser said:

We go by size of the cabin because we are on for so long we bring a lot of things . Blanket,  pillows, and yarn for making blankets { Project Linus } 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gerd said:

thanks for your comment  - but - the autumn cruise was unfortunately already canceled related to Corona restrictions

Sorry to read that, Gerd. I had November 11 marked on my calendar.

On 5/6/2021 at 4:23 PM, Mary229 said:

I sail for the ports so I would be in port everyday, my cabin need only be a comfortable bedroom without disruptions.

You've probably already thought about this, but since you seem to sail for the ports and itinerary (as I do), I just thought I'd point out that world cruises tend to have quite a few "at sea" days simply due to their logistics. It's one thing that has kept me on the fence about a really long cruise that doesn't repeat. Not sure it would be for me. Although perhaps as I become older it will be good to have those respites in the journey....

Hi whogo,

thanks for reading my blog - viel Spaß dabei...

there will arise ‘as of  23.12.2021’ anything / all about my next cruise

but ‘Reisevorbereitung’ / ‘getting ready for your trip‘  -> in German and English is already latest

also ‘alle Reisen‘ / all journeys

all others will appear around Christmas 2021

How you are   familiar with the ship and crew from Verrückt nach Meer “ ?

Are you being in old Europe, or can you somehow watch a German television program in the States ?

Best regards  G E R D

I watched Verrückt nach Meer online from home in the USA, repeats are here: https://www.daserste.de/information/reportage-dokumentation/verrueckt-nach-meer/index.html

Videos are a fun way for me to learn German. Sometimes I understand everything, sometimes I understand nothing, it depends on the speaker and the subject matter. I can generally find something of interest at https://www.daserste.de

https://www.dw.com

https://www.ardmediathek.de/wdr/

https://www.zdf.de/

Some shows are not available outside Germany aus rechtlichen Grunden.

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

You've probably already thought about this, but since you seem to sail for the ports and itinerary (as I do), I just thought I'd point out that world cruises tend to have quite a few "at sea" days simply due to their logistics. It's one thing that has kept me on the fence about a really long cruise that doesn't repeat. Not sure it would be for me. Although perhaps as I become older it will be good to have those respites in the journey....

I have thought of this and will be doing a trial run repositioning Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona with a Med tie in.   My thought is not using an actual world cruise because I would rather design my own schedule.  It will require more planning and perhaps some city hopping and overnighting in ports while I await the next ship.  Ideally I would like to find a single ship to cruise exclusively from but that may not be doable.   Currently my ideal cruise would be the pacific rim and South Pacific through the canal up the coast and over to Europe. Perhaps even cruising and traveling in Europe so the final voyage would be a fall west bound transatlantic/repositioning.   

I do not retire until late 2022 so my timeline is late 2023/2024.   I need time to rearrange my life post retirement and precruise.

• 5 months later...
On 5/18/2021 at 6:04 AM, Gerd said:

Hello whogo - dear all,

please stay tuned, on December 23  I will resume my blog around the 2021 / 2022 world cruise at

Best, GERD

Gerd, I did not realize you took a cruise in October. I am enjoying your blog, pleased that I can understand the German. https://gefewere2016.de/category/alle-tage/

Your first sea day featured the kind of Andrew Lloyd Weber production show that Holland America cruisers can only dream about. https://gefewere2016.de/alle-tage/24-10-2021-seetag/

On 5/6/2021 at 5:18 PM, Mary229 said:

For someone who has never sailed the World Cruise, how do I get wait listed for the 2024.  I understand the WCs fill fast.

Have you called HAL or a TA to see if there are any availabilities now?  When I looked last week for Signature Suites, there were some available.