Discontinuing the Patter?

CruzinNoony

If I remember correctly you could go into the electronic version of the patter and mark what you were interested in and it would show up on top (or something like that). Its been a few awhile since we last cruised as well so my memory is not 100%.

I like both paper and electronic. I do not mind too much carrying around my phone as I do it everyday now. These changes could be / should be fun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sunsetme said:

If you have been to any restaurants lately you will see they have eliminated the menus and gone to QR codes, it's maddening but cheaper and possibly safer. So I wouldn't be surprised if the paper Patter goes away.

I refuse to use QR codes in a restaurant.  They always have paper menus.  Just ask for them.

DON

• Like 4

7 hours ago, MissP22 said:

If they would eliminate all the ad's for everything they sell on the ship it would also save lots of paper but I doubt it that would be a consideration. 

I agree with you on this issue

I suspect with Medallion, it may become “on request”, for one thing just consider the money saved a few cents per sheet of paper (disregarding printing costs) by a few thousand copies, by 365 days, by all the ships you would be running into hundreds of thousands of dollars per year.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I suspect with Medallion, it may become “on request”, for one thing just consider the money saved a few cents per sheet of paper (disregarding printing costs) by a few thousand copies, by 365 days, by all the ships you would be running into hundreds of thousands of dollars per year.

How much more would they save by eliminating all the sheets of advertising crap that they leave us?  I will bet that most of us just toss them out w/o ever reading them.

DON

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

How much more would they save by eliminating all the sheets of advertising crap that they leave us?  I will bet that most of us just toss them out w/o ever reading them.

DON

Maybe nothing if the individual stores foot the Bill for that advertising, plus it generates sales, the pater doesn’t

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Choice in this matter would be a wonderful thing. Getting rid of paper ads for "art" auctions, jewelery sales, the spa, etc. would absolutely save a great deal of unnecessary paper. I imagine the vendor partners would not be a fan of this. I further imagine that would lead to unblockable pop-up ads every time one used the medallion app. That would still be annoying, but without the waste factor. 

It is a waste of my time dealing with those.

13 hours ago, sunsetme said:

If you have been to any restaurants lately you will see they have eliminated the menus and gone to QR codes, it's maddening but cheaper and possibly safer. So I wouldn't be surprised if the paper Patter goes away.

Since I do not have a cell phone to scan the QR code, I guess some staff member would have to read the menu to me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

Right on both points. Huge waste of money & resources. And most pax toss them without reading them. And it's annoying. 

7 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

They go direct to the trash. But, would it annoy you if these ads became pop ups on your medallion app? That would really support my thinking to turn the phone off and leave it in the cabin safe.

18 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I refuse to use QR codes in a restaurant.  They always have paper menus.  Just ask for them.

DON

We always get a printed menu too. Hubby has vision problems and it's easier to read from paper. Besides, we're doing the restaurant a favor by dropping in, not the other way around. 

I also don't use self checkout at stores--I'm a customer, not an employee.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, PurpleHays said:

I do. I like it for just a few simple (ie NOT produce) items.  But I also make frequent use of pickups when they’re free. I haven’t physically been in a Target in a year, but know the kids who bring my online orders out to my car by name. I figure if I check myself out but the store does my shopping for me, it all evens out. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

We always get a printed menu too. Hubby has vision problems and it's easier to read from paper. Besides, we're doing the restaurant a favor by dropping in, not the other way around. 

Great minds think alike!  However, if there is a line at the regular registers, I pretend that I don't know how to use the scanners and have the store employees show me how to use them.  I guess that the problem w that approach is that the employees must think that I am a hopeless older person.

DON

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

I prefer self-checkout where it exists around here.  Avoids line-ups and less time in the store.  I can work it about as fast as a cashier, including the produce items.  I do wish they would give us a "times" key for multiple items.  I just scan the same one X times and often have the dupes already in my bag.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

We always get a printed menu too.

I think Princess will continue to have the printed menus for foreseeable future. 

As for restaurants, if it is a planned thing with a reservation, I always study the menu online first and have decided, subject to any specials upon arrival.  If just the two of us, we like to "get in and get out" usually. 

But I prefer a hardcopy menu as you see more things at once.  So many menus require zooming in and out - especially on a smartphone screen. Sometimes, online menus are not full reproductions of the hardcopy and are missing description details.  Chalkboard writing in the venue is good too.  

• Like 1