Discontinuing the Patter?

CruzinNoony

6 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

But I prefer a hardcopy menu as you see more things at once.  So many menus require zooming in and out - especially on a smartphone screen. ...  

Spouse and I were just talking about this. I was musing about needing a tablet that can be shared and seen and passed around between people. 

The idea that I might need to bring a tablet on a cruise in order to function on the cruise is maddening. I though one of the things about cruising was leaving that connected world behind, if one so chose.

Another issue is that the MDR will become yet another space where everyone is head down buried in their phones. This time as a requirement to getting fed. Bad news.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CruiseMrB said:

Spouse and I were just talking about this. I was musing about needing a tablet that can be shared and seen and passed around between people. 

The idea that I might need to bring a tablet on a cruise in order to function on the cruise is maddening. I thought one of the things about cruising was leaving that connected world behind, if one so chose.

Another issue is that the MDR will become yet another space where everyone is head down buried in their phones. This time as a requirement to getting fed. Bad news.

Your thought about leaving connected world behind...  I want to be connected while on vacation.  Doesn't mean head is in phone during dinner.  But it is useful to have the OM app to connect with friends and spouse on board. 

I keep up with emails, family members at home, financial news, other news.

Very useful for the ports.  Keep in touch with tour providers.  Be able to check weather forecasts for upcoming ports.  Port city research.  GPS mapping for ports.  Restaurant reviews.  Booking and tickets for attractions.  Electronic documents for port information if needed.  

Travel apps such as airlines, hotels.  I could probably come up with more, but I would never just put the phone in the room safe and leave it there until end of the cruise.  To each, their own.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, 1965 said:

I LOVE your response! Good job! ❤

Thank you. Do you realize that if you wish to alphabetize the members of the Travelling Wilburys it is the same whether you do it by first or last name?

Bob Dylan

George Harrison

Jeff Lynne

Roy Orbison

Tom Petty

Greatest rock super group ever!

• Haha 1

On 5/6/2021 at 2:12 PM, XBGuy said:

It seems to me that there have been reports here on Cruise Critic that on some cruises the Princess Patter was not being delivered to passenger cabins.  However, it was available at the Guest Services Desk.  Whether this was a test is not clear to me.  My last cruise was January 2020 and I can tell you that the Patter was delivered to our cabin on the Star Princess.  Since nobody has cruised on Princess in over a year, we do not have any recent information.

Personally, I like the printed copy.  Others prefer having it on their mobile device.  There is no right or wrong.  Having printed copies available at the Guest Services Desk may be a reasonable accommodation.

We sailed on the Regal February 2020 and we received the patter in our suite every night. It makes excellent reading and you don’t have to worry about WiFi .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Thank you. Do you realize that if you wish to alphabetize the members of the Travelling Wilburys it is the same whether you do it by first or last name?

Bob Dylan

George Harrison

Jeff Lynne

Roy Orbison

Tom Petty

Greatest rock super group ever!

Not to shabby!

50 minutes ago, 4cats4me said:

It’s already in electronic form on the smart phone and much more convenient, I must say.  

Beats carrying that  paper copy around.  

It isn't more convenient if you don't want to carry your phone around, you don't want to leave your phone unattended by the pool, you don't have any pockets to carry your phone or you just want to be off the WEB and leave your phone in your room for the length of your trip.  Some of us are not addicted to their smart phones.  I can rip the page of the Patter off, mark the stuff that I am interested in, and then stick it in my pocket.  

As far as picking it up at the service desk, I am paying for service on the cruise and if this means that I want in in my room instead of having to go to the service desk to get it, they should accommodate my wishes.  This may sound petty but so be it.  I can be petty if I wish.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 10

I take a photo of the days 'patter' every morning and use it as a book mark in my photos so I can see instantly which day photos were taken on when I look back. Like others I like to chuck my phone in the safe at the start of my cruise and only look at it once a day for messages. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, GonzoWCS said:

Not to shabby!

If you like that lineup of musicians, buy Volume 1 by The Travelling Wilburys. You will not be disappointed.

(There is also a Volume 3, but I understand it is not nearly as good. Roy Orbison had died soon after Volume 1 and Bob Dylan was not available to play live with the others; he is on it but recorded after instead of interacting live. George Harrison was asked why Volume 3, not 2, and said that there were so many bootlegs that they were Volume 2.)

7 hours ago, donaldsc said:

It isn't more convenient if you don't want to carry your phone around, you don't want to leave your phone unattended by the pool, you don't have any pockets to carry your phone or you just want to be off the WEB and leave your phone in your room for the length of your trip.  Some of us are not addicted to their smart phones.  I can rip the page of the Patter off, mark the stuff that I am interested in, and then stick it in my pocket.  

As far as picking it up at the service desk, I am paying for service on the cruise and if this means that I want in in my room instead of having to go to the service desk to get it, they should accommodate my wishes.  This may sound petty but so be it.  I can be petty if I wish.

DON

Now, you understand I am just poking some fun here as I really don't care how folks manage their Patter information.  Besides that pocket/no pocket, you forgot to complete the note: 

"I can be petty if I wish - it's MY cruise."   😁 

Maybe we can have a debate over whether to request QUEEN bed or SINGLES.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Now, you understand I am just poking some fun here as I really don't care how folks manage their Patter information.  Besides that pocket/no pocket, you forgot to complete the note: 

"I can be petty if I wish - it's MY cruise."   😁 

Maybe we can have a debate over whether to request QUEEN bed or SINGLES.  

I prefer to have an extended discussion about whether the head of the bed should face the bow or stern of the ship - LOL!!.  But wait - that topic has already been discussed to death on CC.

DON

• Haha 2

Just now, donaldsc said:

I prefer to have an extended discussion about whether the head of the bed should face the bow or stern of the ship - LOL!!.  But wait - that topic has already been discussed to death on CC.

DON

Yes, and if you choose Single bed setup, each person could face the bed in their preferred direction.  😉

• Like 1

We still much much prefer the physical paper Patter. Inevitably, there is always at least one activity missing from the digital version. We like to be able to circle interesting events and make notes on it. Plus, like someone else said, it’s very helpful to have in port in your bag whether you have Internet or not.

10 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

I take a photo of the days 'patter' every morning and use it as a book mark in my photos so I can see instantly which day photos were taken on when I look back. Like others I like to chuck my phone in the safe at the start of my cruise and only look at it once a day for messages. 

Great idea!  With all the ports being back to back now it does start to blur.

The patter has who to call if your excursion is late getting back and the local contact should you miss the ship. I've never had this happen to me but have seen it happen where people were running to get to the ship while we are pulling away from the dock. 

I need the written patter since I refuse to use my phone and would have to pay for roam service and won't pay for international coverage. 

29 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

I need the written patter since I refuse to use my phone and would have to pay for roam service and won't pay for international coverage. 

Er, no you don't. Your phone works using the ship wifi and you can use that without needing to have roaming.

That said, I still would prefer the paper patter. Much easier to read and highlight things than a phone version.

3 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

The patter has who to call if your excursion is late getting back and the local contact should you miss the ship.

3 hours ago, leck57 said:

Er, no you don't. Your phone works using the ship wifi and you can use that without needing to have roaming.

Except when away from the ship no matter what roaming or not roaming you have access to, you cannot access the ship's WIFI and thus cannot see the current (or any other) Patter for your cruise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, caribill said:

Except when away from the ship no matter what roaming or not roaming you have access to, you cannot access the ship's WIFI and thus cannot see the current (or any other) Patter for your cruise.

Only my personal experience but I have never referred to the Patter when I am not on the ship. I think my answer covered 99% of situations.

The only ship issued paper I take off ship is the port map which is usually inside the Patter. If I felt the need to take the local contact details I would just take a photo of the patter or screenshot the online version.

As I stated earlier I would prefer the Patter in hard copy which is what this thread is about.

Edited by leck57

On 5/7/2021 at 9:48 AM, MissP22 said:

If they would eliminate all the ad's for everything they sell on the ship it would also save lots of paper but I doubt it that would be a consideration. 

Is there anyway to press "Like" 100 times for this?!😎

I always feel a bit guilty when I immediately rip up and toss all those blinkin' ads every night when the Patter arrives! Hey, let's put the ADS on the smart phones, and keep the PATTER on paper!😉

Doug

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Is there anyway to press "Like" 100 times for this?!😎

I always feel a bit guilty when I immediately rip up and toss all those blinkin' ads every night when the Patter arrives! Hey, let's put the ADS on the smart phones, and keep the PATTER on paper!😉

Doug

And I especially agree because I do not have a smart phone.

• Like 1

As long as a patter is available at the customer service desk I won't mind. If they eliminate the patter it would be problematic since I won't use the app or the medallion. This is a case where technology is enhancing the merchant to the detriment of some passengers. We gotta meet in the middle somewhere!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Hey, let's put the ADS on the smart phones, and keep the PATTER on paper!😉

If the smart phone is smart enough, the ads would immediately go into smart phone trash.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I really prefer to lock our phones in the safe for the duration of the cruise so I am hoping that having a paper patter will be an option.  I find it wonderful to unplug from technology on my cruises.

• Like 1