NCL may pull out of Florida over DeSantis' rules forbidding proof of vaccination

drew69

1 hour ago, At Sea At Peace said:

It could be exaggerated even more than 10-fold; i.e., like 10 times 10-fold.  😲  Sadly, this continued disclosure of the false guidance by the CDC (and the silent U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases head) will further suppress the willingness of those not vaccinated to get vaccinated.  

"Epidemiologists who spoke to the Times say the actual rate of outdoor transmission is less than 1% and may even be below 0.1%. If outdoor transmission does occur, it happens in crowded places or during close conversation, the Times' David Leonhardt reported.

I mean, yeah. I'm fully vaccinated and so is my wife, but these kinds of embarrassing revelations are going to be grist for the mill. People who were already hesitant/skeptical of vaccines are now gonna just say "why the h*** should I get vaccinated when the risk you told me about was a complete lie"? Can't really blame people, honestly.

• Like 4

On 5/9/2021 at 9:45 PM, CaptainHazelwood said:

Where has it been established that it needs boosters?  Did you just make that up?

What we do know at this point is that Moderna and Pfizer are developing booster shots in case they are needed for the variants.

• Like 2

I believe sailing out of Jamaica and requiring 100% COVID vaccine for crew and passengers initially removes the need for NCL to adhere to the CDC or Desantis' idiocy.

So, when/if the desire to sail out of FL and other U.S. ports starts to happen, those other CDC requirements come into play.  Until then, we all see how NCL is leading this charge.

They're sailing the Caribbean with 100% vaccines.  My guess is the mask requirements may be curtailed, or perhaps even eliminated given the total vaccine implementation.

• Like 1

It's pretty bad when the CDC loses Maine Senator Susan Collins.  Too bad Maine doesn't have very much cruise based port revenues.

TODAY

"I used to have the utmost respect for the guidance from the CDC. I always considered the CDC to be the gold standard. I don’t anymore, the conflicting, confusing guidance from your agency has undermined public confidence and contradicts the scientific guidance of many experts."

"Unnecessary barriers to reopening schools, exaggerating the risk of outdoor transmission and unworkable restrictions on summer camps."

"Why does this matter?  It matters because it undermines public confidence in your recommendations, in the recommendations that do make sense, in the recommendations that Americans should be following."

Wow, there is a growing information feed about just how much misinformation the CDC (and silent partner the Director and the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases) has put out there since early 2020.

This continues the angst of those not wanting the vaccine.

• Like 4

On 5/10/2021 at 12:22 PM, chengkp75 said:

Please tell me where in the CDC requirements that you have to put the mask on between bites/sips.  The intent, if you are reading it in any reasonable state of mind, is to prevent what has happened for months on planes, where a person takes 6 hours to finish the 20 peanuts in the little bag, and keeps their mask off "because I'm eating".

Even better yet...... a large bag of popcorn worked well for me in movie theaters when smoking was banned indoors in all public buildings. Thank goodness I quit smoking 16 years ago.

1 minute ago, At Sea At Peace said:

It's pretty bad when the CDC loses Maine Senator Susan Collins.  Too bad Maine doesn't have very much cruise based port revenues.

TODAY

"I used to have the utmost respect for the guidance from the CDC. I always considered the CDC to be the gold standard. I don’t anymore, the conflicting, confusing guidance from your agency has undermined public confidence and contradicts the scientific guidance of many experts."

"Unnecessary barriers to reopening schools, exaggerating the risk of outdoor transmission and unworkable restrictions on summer camps."

"Why does this matter?  It matters because it undermines public confidence in your recommendations, in the recommendations that do make sense, in the recommendations that Americans should be following."

Wow, there is a growing information feed about just how much misinformation the CDC (and silent partner the Director and the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases) has put out there since early 2020.

Woah, the CDC may be toast by tomorrow. I've gotta wonder if the judge in the lawsuit case starting tomorrow in Tampa will have read Sen. Collins's rather stinging rebuke?

On 5/10/2021 at 12:45 PM, DCGuy64 said:

It has been reported that the CDC will appoint people to sail on cruises and oversee whether passengers and crew are adhering to protocols. It's not too much of a stretch to say they'll be looking to see how long people remove their masks in order to eat and drink. Take too long, and you'll get in trouble. This is Stasi-style snooping, folks. Your tax dollars at work.

What will be considered "too long" for a nice meal in a specialty restaurant? I guess people can mask in between courses when waiting for the next course to be served.

1 minute ago, coffeebean said:

What will be considered "too long" for a nice meal in a specialty restaurant? I guess people can mask in between courses when waiting for the next course to be served.

Possibly. Personally, I'd just keep chugging water or whatever in between courses. 😁

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sr4mjc said:

I saw a person at Magic Kingdom last weekend wearing a Mickey pin with 'Vaccinated' on it.  Guess they just wanted everyone to know. 

There is nothing wrong with letting strangers know you are safe to be around just in case that 6" distancing can't be maintained. Personally, I would not wear a pin or a shirt to let people know I'm vaccinated but that's just me.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, At Sea At Peace said:

TODAY

Worrisome because they are also telling us the vaccines are safe.

I was very troubled when they said it wasn't a big deal that the J&J vaccine was pulled, because we had two other very safe vaccines available. Uh....yesterday we had three very safe vaccines and today we only have two? But, those two are very safe...until they aren't, I guess.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, coffeebean said:

There is nothing wrong with letting strangers know you are safe to be around just in case that 6" distancing can't be maintained. Personally, I would not wear a pin or a shirt to let people know I'm vaccinated but that's just me.

I stapled my vaccine card to my forehead...is that right?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, coffeebean said:

Don't the "un-vaccinated fence sitters" realize that being vaccinated drastically reduces the chance of contracting Covid and if you do contract Covid, the chance of dying is 0.008%?

Don't the un-vaccinated realize that if they do contract Covid, they just may be unlucky enough to have those pesky long haul side effects (even if they have asymptomatic infection?

Don't the "un-vaccinated fence sitters" realize that getting vaccinated will bring our country closer to SAFE herd immunity? What about doing their part?

Don't the "un-vaccinated fence sitters" realize that if they are asymptomatic carriers of the virus, they can transmit the virus to others who just may not be able to get vaccinated because of health issues? Do they have any sense of community at all???

So........"what's the point of getting vaccinated??? There are a few very important points if you ask me.

You raise good points, @coffeebean. I am a vaccinated non-fence-sitter, so you're asking the wrong person. I am just telling you how I see the position of people who are skeptical. If you have any friends, neighbors or family members who don't want to get vaccinated, I would ask them. I have several friends who refuse to get vaccinated and we've discussed it. However, I do not wish to debate you or anybody else about their reasoning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CroozFanatic said:

I stapled my vaccine card to my forehead...is that right?

I think I'm changing my mind about this issue. But on this proof of injection, it only seems fair to require notation of weight, B.P., blood sugars, liver enzymes, activity level... just to name a few that will provide me with a better idea of your health status.

I'm being sarcastic of course, concerning an issue that isn't funny. I've recently been asked by two total strangers about what vaccine I'm going to get. They clearly believe that is a reasonable question to ask a stranger........ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, winterbliss said:

I think I'm changing my mind about this issue. But on this proof of injection, it only seems fair to require notation of weight, B.P., blood sugars, liver enzymes, activity level... just to name a few that will provide me with a better idea of your health status.

I'm being sarcastic of course, concerning an issue that isn't funny. I've recently been asked by two total strangers about what vaccine I'm going to get. They clearly believe that is a reasonable question to ask a stranger........ 

none of these things are contagious or can affect you by being near someone with unhealthy levels of them.

• Like 3

On 5/10/2021 at 1:40 PM, chengkp75 said:

If you really believe the CDC will have the money, and the desire to have people placed on cruise ships for "mask police", you really need to check your tin-foil hat at the counter.  They will have auditors during simulated cruises, and on some restricted cruises, doing snapshot audits, not on a full time basis, just like they come onboard for VSP inspections.  And, the cruise lines are free to hire their own third party auditors in place of the CDC, as Carnival Corp has announced.

Did you believe the world would be shut down for a virus?  After 2020, NOTHING is out of the realm of possibilities

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

You raise good points, @coffeebean. I am a vaccinated non-fence-sitter, so you're asking the wrong person. I am just telling you how I see the position of people who are skeptical. If you have any friends, neighbors or family members who don't want to get vaccinated, I would ask them. I have several friends who refuse to get vaccinated and we've discussed it. However, I do not wish to debate you or anybody else about their reasoning.

My friends and entire community are seniors so everyone I know has already been vaccinated. We make up that vulnerable group so we could not get vaccinated fast enough. My family is also all vaccinated with one exception.

The only person I know who refuses to be vaccinated is my far right wing conspiracy theorist brother in law. My sister (his wife), OTOH, is thankfully vaccinated with the Moderna vaccine.

BTW......how did you put my username in the highlighted blue "box" with the @ in front of my username? I have been trying to get instructions how to do that but so far, no one has explained it to me. I cannot figure out how to do it. Thanks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, coffeebean said:

... BTW......how did you put my username in the highlighted blue "box" with the @ in front of my username? I have been trying to get instructions how to do that but so far, no one has explained it to me. I cannot figure out how to do it. Thanks.

@coffeebean

Howdy!  emo22.gif

See my reply to you yesterday at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2780291-tag-another-member/.

Host Kat emo32.gif

• Like 2

12 hours ago, coffeebean said:

My friends and entire community are seniors so everyone I know has already been vaccinated. We make up that vulnerable group so we could not get vaccinated fast enough. My family is also all vaccinated with one exception.

The only person I know who refuses to be vaccinated is my far right wing conspiracy theorist brother in law. My sister (his wife), OTOH, is thankfully vaccinated with the Moderna vaccine.

BTW......how did you put my username in the highlighted blue "box" with the @ in front of my username? I have been trying to get instructions how to do that but so far, no one has explained it to me. I cannot figure out how to do it. Thanks.

The only people I personally know who have told me they won't get vaccinated are some Catholic friends of mine (I'm Catholic, too, by the way), and I think their concerns boil down to: not trusting vaccines generally, not being required to get one that's only been approved for emergency use, and the potential for the cell lines used to develop the vaccines being linked to tissue from aborted fetuses. Also, they point out that the fatality rate for healthy people such as they is under 1%.

I would say that I am fully vaccinated and don't share their concerns, but I don't like debating this topic (people who don't want to be vaccinated) because those who disagree with my friends end up lashing out at ME and essentially "shooting the messenger." If someone on here genuinely wants to know why my friends don't want the vaccine, I could arrange for you to email them. But again, you'd need to talk to them about it, not me. I'm fully in support of vaccinations.

I'm glad you were able to do the "tag the member" function, BTW! 😊

13 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

The only people I personally know who have told me they won't get vaccinated are some Catholic friends of mine (I'm Catholic, too, by the way), and I think their concerns boil down to: not trusting vaccines generally, not being required to get one that's only been approved for emergency use, and the potential for the cell lines used to develop the vaccines being linked to tissue from aborted fetuses. Also, they point out that the fatality rate for healthy people such as they is under 1%.

I would say that I am fully vaccinated and don't share their concerns, but I don't like debating this topic (people who don't want to be vaccinated) because those who disagree with my friends end up lashing out at ME and essentially "shooting the messenger." If someone on here genuinely wants to know why my friends don't want the vaccine, I could arrange for you to email them. But again, you'd need to talk to them about it, not me. I'm fully in support of vaccinations.

I'm glad you were able to do the "tag the member" function, BTW! 😊

Thanks again for the instructions.

Your Catholic friends can be assured that the mRNA vaccines DO NOT contain cells from aborted fetuses. I wonder why people don't look up that information if it is that important to their religious beliefs. I wonder where they got that misinformation from? They can read about it......

mRNA vaccines DO NOT contain cells from aborted fetuses.

• Like 1

The US Catholic Church has been quite clear in communicating that it is morally acceptable for Catholics to get the Pfizer or Moderna vaccination.  They are not as definitive on their position regarding the J&J vaccine.  Earlier in 2021, the church indicated that Catholics could proceed getting the J&J vaccine if the other options were not available.  That was at a time when access to vaccines was very tight.  Its a moot point now as all three of the approved vaccines are pretty widely available everywhere in the US today.  

If the church condones (encourages?) its followers to be vaccinated, why would someone go against that advice?  

8 hours ago, coffeebean said:

Thanks again for the instructions.

Your Catholic friends can be assured that the mRNA vaccines DO NOT contain cells from aborted fetuses. I wonder why people don't look up that information if it is that important to their religious beliefs. I wonder where they got that misinformation from? They can read about it......

mRNA vaccines DO NOT contain cells from aborted fetuses.

That's singling out one religion and being quite inappropriate IMO.  I agree that it is generally believed that mRNA vaccines to "contain cells from aborted fetuses) but I believe in the developmental process such is not as clear.  To some that matters.

The are also real religious consternations about the vaccine (including all vaccines, modern medicine, etc.) by many of various religions, for example by Muslims. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb/18/muslims-wary-covid-vaccine-religious-reason

In the case of all religions, that is something revered and respected individual freedoms that clearly come with a very wide range of personal practices based on the level and deep seating of ones faith.

As we try to continue to improve CruiseCritic and self discipline staying away from politics, religion is and should be untouchable.