SS Noordam (1902)

Found out my great-grandma traveled on the Noordam a year after the Titanic disaster (the Noordam is known for being one of the ships that warned her about ice in the area). Research did not yield the stats - length, width, number of decks, and which classes of passengers it carried. All I have to go on is the gross tonnage and pictures. Anyone know more about the Noordam? 

16 hours ago, PromenadeDeckWriter said:

Found out my great-grandma traveled on the Noordam a year after the Titanic disaster (the Noordam is known for being one of the ships that warned her about ice in the area). Research did not yield the stats - length, width, number of decks, and which classes of passengers it carried. All I have to go on is the gross tonnage and pictures. Anyone know more about the Noordam? 

Holland America Line SS Noordam: 1902 - 1923 (Original Capacity was 286 First Class, 292 Second Class, 1800 Steerage)

Chartered to Swedish American becoming the Kungsholm: 1923 - 1926 (refitted to 478 Cabin Class, 1800 Steerage)

Holland America Line SS Noordam:  1926 - 1927 (refitted to become 3rd class ship only when HAL took her back)

Scrapped: 1927

She was; 12,541 Tons, 

Length: 550.3 Ft

Breadth: 62.3 Ft

Speed: 15 Knots

Built: Harland & Wolff

Above Deck: 3 Passenger Decks (3rd deck also for the bridge)

Below Deck: 2 or 3 Passenger Decks (Below that was the engines and such

*Interesting Facts: 1914 Struck a mine and got damaged and repaired, 1917 hits a mine a second time, damaged and laid-up until end of WW1. 

Hope that helps.

Edited by norboy76
updated info

Norboy, You beat me to it, and you have much more information than I found.

I have a little book, purchased on a ship years ago, "The Holland America Line", by Peter C. Kohler, 1993.

It has a photo of an early sepia-toned photo card.  The caption says "1923-1926 chartered to Swedish American Line and renamed Kungsholm.  Sister ships Potsdam and Ryndam I.

Thank you, Prom, for giving me a more fun assignment than cleaning the kitchen!  I hope you get some more interesting replies.

9 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Norboy, You beat me to it, and you have much more information than I found.

I have a little book, purchased on a ship years ago, "The Holland America Line", by Peter C. Kohler, 1993.

It has a photo of an early sepia-toned photo card.  The caption says "1923-1926 chartered to Swedish American Line and renamed Kungsholm.  Sister ships Potsdam and Ryndam I.

Thank you, Prom, for giving me a more fun assignment than cleaning the kitchen!  I hope you get some more interesting replies.

Lol sorry shipgeeks, I have some postcards of the early HAL ships, but haven't gotten one yet for this Noordam. I have Hal postcards of the early ships for: 

TSS Volendam: 1922 - 1951

TSS Veendam: 1923 - 1953

TSS Statendam: 1929 - 1940

3 Postcards for the TSS Rotterdam: 1908 - 1939 (2 are used: one dated Feb 2, 1914, the other Aug 29, 1922, third is unused)

On 5/6/2021 at 6:10 PM, PromenadeDeckWriter said:

I finally managed to get a hold of a T.S.S. Noordam postcard and it's dated: November 30, 1912

this is what it looks like, now I can add it to my HAL collection

1912 Noordam Postcard.jpg

• Like 1

Many thanks to both of you! That postcard find is excellent - saving that picture and the stats to include in my great-grandmother's file.

It's been fun doing the research.- some other ships that other family members came on were the SS Neckar in 1913 and the Kaiserin Auguste Victoria in 1910. These photographs make it all more the real!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PromenadeDeckWriter said:

Many thanks to both of you! That postcard find is excellent - saving that picture and the stats to include in my great-grandmother's file.

It's been fun doing the research.- some other ships that other family members came on were the SS Neckar in 1913 and the Kaiserin Auguste Victoria in 1910. These photographs make it all more the real!

I don't have anything for the SS Neckar, but I do have a Kaiserin Auguste Victoria Postcard which is unused, here is a photo of my postcard in my personal collection. 

kaiserin_auguste_victoria_by_wildelf34_ddr452s-fullview.jpg

• Like 1