NCL leaving Florida? Will HAL follow?

Laminator

Regardless of what one’s political views are (or views on vaccines, for that matter), I don’t see how Florida can prohibit cruise ships from enforcing a vaccine requirement.  You may board the ship in Florida, but once on board and underway, you are under the laws of another sovereign nation (the flag the ship is registered in).  Also, the various other countries the ship will visit may have some thing to say about the vaccination status of passengers and crew.   Cruise ships are not landlocked movie theaters, restaurants, bars, shopping malls, stores, etc.  I don’t think the State of Florida (or any other state) has jurisdiction here.  It’s all noise…

Edited by ShipsAreTheBest
  • Like 9

Ladies and Gentlemen, we are in the midst of an "opera" that has had, and continues to have, many "Acts".  All are awaiting the appearance on the stage of the "Fat Lady".  We all want to hear her sing.  

Where is she?  Has she arrived at the theater?  Some of us thought she had arrived and that she was in her dressing room preparing for her entrance.  Her entrance for the final act of this "opera" keeps being delayed. 

Until the "Fat Lady" sings, the "opera" will not end.

Now, I wonder.  Who is the "Fat Lady"?   

• Like 3

I love the analogy, @rkacruiser.  We're all in the audience, watching this awful, terrible opera that just never seems to end, awaiting the "Fat Lady".  A better question than who SHE is, is who is the show's director who keeps issuing notes in the middle of the performance, changing the script willy-nilly, and grabbing the hook every time the Fat Lady is about to take the stage...

• Like 4

8 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Ladies and Gentlemen, we are in the midst of an "opera" that has had, and continues to have, many "Acts".  All are awaiting the appearance on the stage of the "Fat Lady".  We all want to hear her sing.  

Where is she?  Has she arrived at the theater?  Some of us thought she had arrived and that she was in her dressing room preparing for her entrance.  Her entrance for the final act of this "opera" keeps being delayed. 

It is something to talk about in the news

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Good analogy, here's another one. We are near the finish, but no one spikes the ball at the 10 yard line.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I hope she goes by the name of Common Sense.

But I believe she is currently touring in Europe! I hear her performance in Greece was amazing!

Edited by rucrazy
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

She is stuck in Canada.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Aardvaark said:

Desantis’ ban only affects government agencies.

Nope. Affects private businesses, too. Abbott's (Texas) ban only affects government agencies unless a private business has (at any time) received one dime of taxpayer money.

I am as big a libertarian as you will ever meet. In light of freedom whether a business requires vaccines or not is not the government's business from a libertarian's point of view.  If Florida can't find the consistency to let businesses act with the best interest of themselves, their patrons and their employees we will be happy to have them in Texas.

• Like 2

The Florida ban was nothing more than a political stunt. Now it is proving to cost hundreds of jobs. Pressure will mount to recind the ban.

Edited by jimgev
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I would not place too much stock in this.   Lots of posturing going on.  Besides, these ports are not even open yet.

Early days yet. Still lots to shake out.  The cruise lines will go where the business is....even if they indicate something different in order to pressure the powers that be.

Does anyone really believe that a cruise line will abandon Florida ports?  If they did, their stock prices would be going down.  This is all for show IMHO.  Nothing to get excited about.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, iancal said:

I would not place too much stock in this.   Lots of posturing going on.  Besides, these ports are not even open yet.

Early days yet. Still lots to shake out.  The cruise lines will go where the business is....even if they indicate something different in order to pressure the powers that be.

Does anyone really believe that a cruise line will abandon Florida ports?  If they did, their stock prices would be going down.  This is all for show IMHO.  Nothing to get excited about.

I agree 100%

2 hours ago, ChutChut said:

Nope. Affects private businesses, too. Abbott's (Texas) ban only affects government agencies unless a private business has (at any time) received one dime of taxpayer money.

Hmm.... after looking at it, you are correct.  It was touted as affecting Florida businesses but that wording is not in it.

There'll be pressure to amend the act, no doubt.

Others are also saying it has no effect on the cruise industry: 

Law experts: It's legal for cruise lines to ask for proof of vaccination, even if they sail in Florida

The state's newest law preventing organizations from requiring proof of COVID vaccinations wouldn't supersede CDC guidelines.

We'll have to wait for the dust to settle, I guessNobody's getting underway in the next few months anyway.

It is interesting that cases concerning the eviction moratorium have been wending their way through the courts and it looks like a federal judge is going to strike down that moratorium which was imposed by the CDC.  The principle arguments are first about the CDC's authority but also about economic loss.   Google News Search "CDC eviction moratorium"

Judge Dabney Friedrich of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia said in her ruling that the CDC did not have the authority to impose the moratorium.

“It is the role of the political branches, and not the courts, to assess the merits of policy measures designed to combat the spread of disease, even during a global pandemic,” the ruling stated. “The question for the Court is a narrow one: Does the Public Health Service Act grant the CDC the legal authority to impose a nationwide eviction moratorium? It does not.”

Edited by Mary229

23 minutes ago, Aardvaark said:

Hmm.... after looking at it, you are correct.  It was touted as affecting Florida businesses but that wording is not in it.

There'll be pressure to amend the act, no doubt.

Others are also saying it has no effect on the cruise industry: 

Law experts: It's legal for cruise lines to ask for proof of vaccination, even if they sail in Florida

The state's newest law preventing organizations from requiring proof of COVID vaccinations wouldn't supersede CDC guidelines.

We'll have to wait for the dust to settle, I guessNobody's getting underway in the next few months anyway.

All it will take is for one port of call to insist on covid vaccinations, in the same way the some countries insist on a visa, for a cruise line to insist on the vaccination.  Even those departing from Florida.

This Florida nonsense about it being illegal  to insist on proof of covid vaccination is nothing but a bunch of political BS.     

Not worth anyone's time to be concerned about.  It certainly is not in the best interests of the cruise industry.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

It is interesting that cases concerning the eviction moratorium have been wending their way through the courts and it looks like a federal judge is going to strike down that moratorium which was imposed by the CDC.  The principle arguments are first about the CDC's authority but also about economic loss.   Google News Search "CDC eviction moratorium"

Judge Dabney Friedrich of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia said in her ruling that the CDC did not have the authority to impose the moratorium.

“It is the role of the political branches, and not the courts, to assess the merits of policy measures designed to combat the spread of disease, even during a global pandemic,” the ruling stated. “The question for the Court is a narrow one: Does the Public Health Service Act grant the CDC the legal authority to impose a nationwide eviction moratorium? It does not.”

I have a feeling that a major fight is coming.

• Like 2