Advice for a P&O newbie please.

GOQ

I have only cruised with P&O once before, with my late wife 11 years ago on Oceana. I have since cruised with Marella several times and because they only have a limited number of solo cabins I need to book early with the choice being limited to either a solo inside or solo outside cabin, and sometimes the outside cabins have gone. Easy choice.

Now I intend to be a bit more adventurous and start booking cruises with P&O, a bit more difficult, can you help me with these questions please:

1. If I try a dummy booking and select 1 passenger the booking site gives me a choice of single, standard, sea view, obstructed view or balcony and often the price difference is not very much. Am I missing something here?, it seems as if they don’t care much price wise if, I as a single cruiser, choose any cabin. If I can book a double cabin I am guessing I don’t have to book so far in advance as it doesn't matter if the solo cabins run out.

2. Assuming the above when might be best to book, early or late, do prices vary much throughout the booking season? I know Marella prices can vary from week to week and often a “special offer” code might appear knocking £100 -£200 of the price. The only limitation I have is booking my dog minder.

3. Early Saver or Select Price fares? I am not familiar with P&Os ships so being able to select a specific cabin does not seem to be much of an advantage, having one picked for me might add to the surprise? I will probably book the drinks package anyway so the onboard credit would only be used for excursions.

I am not quite sure what fixed or freedom dining mean, on Marella I just turn up at the restaurant anytime they are open. Does it mean if I choose the Saver fare I will be restricted to a fixed time in a specific restaurant whereas with a Select fare I can dine anywhere anytime they are open? That might influence my choice as I like to dine early.

I hope that doesn't confuse you, I am confused already.

TIA

Paul

Hi, our friend cruises with us and always takes a twin cabin for solo occupancy.  Sometimes it's cheaper than a single cabin.

I can't answer your other questions.    We always use a Travel Agent to book as I find them better and more able to find you a cabin you want.

Edited by jeanlyon

That's what's so confusing, a twin cabin being cheaper than a single cabin. I thought I might be making some mistake on the booking options.

Thanks Jean

Prices can vary but are usually at their cheapest if you book soon after a new brochure is launched. However, with all the uncertainty at the moment, there may be exceptions. Booking select does give you the chance to choose your cabin. My advice is to look on a deck plan and see what is above and below your cabin. Having other cabins above and below should be quietest. If a non smoker, you may wish to choose a cabin well away from smoking areas, only really applicable to a balcony cabin. I always book directly by phone with P&O and find them really knowledgable and helpful. Personally I wouldn’t bother with the drinks package unless you are a heavy drinker. Drinks prices on P&O are very reasonable and you would need to drink more than most to save money booking the package. 
With select fare you can book either first or second sitting dining (all ships except Iona) or you can choose freedom which allows you to dine whenever you wish. Saver fares do not give you any option. Breakfast and lunch are completely open dining in served restaurant or buffet. Hope this helps.

12 minutes ago, GOQ said:

I have only cruised with P&O once before, with my late wife 11 years ago on Oceana. I have since cruised with Marella several times and because they only have a limited number of solo cabins I need to book early with the choice being limited to either a solo inside or solo outside cabin, and sometimes the outside cabins have gone. Easy choice.

Now I intend to be a bit more adventurous and start booking cruises with P&O, a bit more difficult, can you help me with these questions please:

1. If I try a dummy booking and select 1 passenger the booking site gives me a choice of single, standard, sea view, obstructed view or balcony and often the price difference is not very much. Am I missing something here?, it seems as if they don’t care much price wise if, I as a single cruiser, choose any cabin. If I can book a double cabin I am guessing I don’t have to book so far in advance as it doesn't matter if the solo cabins run out.

2. Assuming the above when might be best to book, early or late, do prices vary much throughout the booking season? I know Marella prices can vary from week to week and often a “special offer” code might appear knocking £100 -£200 of the price. The only limitation I have is booking my dog minder.

3. Early Saver or Select Price fares? I am not familiar with P&Os ships so being able to select a specific cabin does not seem to be much of an advantage, having one picked for me might add to the surprise? I will probably book the drinks package anyway so the onboard credit would only be used for excursions.

I am not quite sure what fixed or freedom dining mean, on Marella I just turn up at the restaurant anytime they are open. Does it mean if I choose the Saver fare I will be restricted to a fixed time in a specific restaurant whereas with a Select fare I can dine anywhere anytime they are open? That might influence my choice as I like to dine early.

I hope that doesn't confuse you, I am confused already.

TIA

Paul

1 - you can book any cabin grade below suite but the fares shown are 'from' prices. There is not an unlimited supply of cabins available for single occupancy and this varies according to the cruise itinerary and how well the cabins are selling. I think a double cabin for single occupancy is better value than a dedicated single, bigger for a start and much more choice of location. In my experience the single cabins on Ventura are truly awful, so much noise and vibration I could not sleep.

2 - 

3 - I book as soon as i decide on that cruise. For example this week I decided I fancied a balcony cabin on a Ventura this November. There were only aft cabins on Riviera deck left. I usually book select as I like forward cabins on a high deck.

4? - Freedom dining is the same as Marella and fixed dining has sittings. I think if you choose a Saver Fare you are almost certain to get freedom dining? It varies by ship of course and the new Iona only has Freedom dining

I tend to disagree about the drinks package, I think it is worthwhile for a number of reasons, but my main ones are:

No need to worry how much you are spending on drinks.

It is surprising how quickly things add up when you take coffees, drinks at lunch and dinner then the evening drinks into account.

• Like 1

I am guessing the break even point for the drinks package is about 8 drinks. Checking things out, a pint seems to be just under £5 and a glass of wine about the same. I usually have one or two glasses of wine with lunch and dinner, so that's potentially four already. I have 3 AI cruises booked up before my potential P&O cruises so I will keep a tally of what I actually drink. I've checked out the deck plans for Arcadia, my probable cruise ship, and it seems to have quite a few bars and there will be many sea days.

And the advice would seem to be choose a double cabin over a single.

Some of the booking options list an obstructed or partially obstructed outside cabin.  I mainly want an outside view rather than a balcony. I've had an obstructed view before and I was quite happy that I had natural daylight and a view of the sea between the lifeboats. 

I am looking at booking ahead for July/August 2022 and October 2022. Making a decision soon.

9 minutes ago, GOQ said:

I am guessing the break even point for the drinks package is about 8 drinks. Checking things out, a pint seems to be just under £5 and a glass of wine about the same. I usually have one or two glasses of wine with lunch and dinner, so that's potentially four already. I have 3 AI cruises booked up before my potential P&O cruises so I will keep a tally of what I actually drink. I've checked out the deck plans for Arcadia, my probable cruise ship, and it seems to have quite a few bars and there will be many sea days.

Some of the booking options list an obstructed or partially obstructed outside cabin.  I mainly want an outside view rather than a balcony. I've had an obstructed view before and I was quite happy that I had natural daylight and a view of the sea between the lifeboats. 

I am looking at booking ahead for July/August 2022 and October 2022. Making a decision soon.

Arcadia does have a lot of bars but she doesn’t have a glasshouse bar that serves mainly a good selection of wines and excellent food (pay extra but very reasonable).

Somewhere on the P&O site you will find pictures of all obstructed balconies and sea view cabins on all ships

All you have to do is find the magic question to ask to get to the feature

I’ll see if I can find it for you - perhaps someone else can step in and link you straight to it?

Back later - hopefully 

Problem with the P&O site when you are booking as a solo is the price leading right up to payment is misleading and the attractive price you see is for one but they still add on the single supplement nearer to checkout which in some cases near on doubles the price, you need to be careful as it is a little misleading. 

14 minutes ago, GOQ said:

am looking at booking ahead for July/August 2022 and October 2022. Making a decision soon.

You are booking relatively late, so prices will be considerably higher than at launch, plus of course P&O have also increased prices to take into account all the Future Cruise Credit that is out there, following the whole scale cancellations over the last year.

It is, I think, accepted that with P&O,  you will never find a better price than at launch,  which is why many of us here have been booking cruises for as late as March 2023. 

11 minutes ago, eddie11 said:

Somewhere on the P&O site you will find pictures of all obstructed balconies and sea view cabins on all ships

All you have to do is find the magic question to ask to get to the feature

I’ll see if I can find it for you - perhaps someone else can step in and link you straight to it?

Back later - hopefully 

Thanks eddie11

wowzz,

In normal times when do they normally "launch" new cruises and how far ahead?

Although I could book just a few months ahead IF I have a dog minder I normally book between 12 and 18 months ahead to make sure.

18 minutes ago, GOQ said:

In normal times when do they normally "launch" new cruises and how far ahead?

Although I could book just a few months ahead IF I have a dog minder I normally book between 12 and 18 months ahead to make sure.

P&O launched their autumn 22 - winter 23 programme last month, so in fact you are not that late for an October 22 cruise,  although I suspect prices will already have increased over the last few weeks. 

9 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

If the op is talking about the Arcadia 18 October cruise this was out in the previous programme and could be booked in November 2020. 

Thanks for that.  I wasn't 100% sure when the latest tranche of Arcadia cruises started.

16 hours ago, GOQ said:

I am guessing the break even point for the drinks package is about 8 drinks. Checking things out, a pint seems to be just under £5 and a glass of wine about the same. I usually have one or two glasses of wine with lunch and dinner, so that's potentially four already. I have 3 AI cruises booked up before my potential P&O cruises so I will keep a tally of what I actually drink.

There was a thread a couple of years ago showing price lists, I will bump it up. Though I would think the prices have changed since then.

My adult son comes with us and we always book a double cabin next to ours for him if balcony or he's had an inside double opposite us. We choose our location and cabin so we are together. Would rather pay the extra for a larger room. 

20 hours ago, GOQ said:

I started to keep track on how much drinks would have cost me had I not bought the drinks package but after day two I looked at how much I was drinking (a lot more than I expected), felt depressed and drank even more and stopped counting.🤣

Seriously, if you do keep track don't forget teas & coffees and even water. I think you will find it does add up.

For myself, even if I was under the drinks package price by a drink or two a day it would not worry me as I have the peace of mind of knowing I won't be hit with a large bar bill at the end of the cruise. In my opinion nothing worse than trying to relax while thinking "how many drinks have I had today, should I have another?" or even seeing an interesting drink on the menu but thinking I won't buy it as I may not like it. 

• Like 1

The trouble for us it that only one of us might use the drinks package, but both of us would have to buy it.

Mixers

When buying drinks with mixers, what is the best way to do so. We have bought a drink with say lemonade/coke etc and they bring a can. Though only a small can there might only be a small amount from it used in the drink. Did someone say before that you can ask for the mixer from the pump. Is it cheaper to do so or more expensive than buying the can.

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I read somewhere once about an American couple who would book a second cabin just for luggage.

Take a long distance Harley trip and you'll find out just how much stuff you can do without.  One pullman and a backpack is all I ever need for a cruise of any length.  I'm not there to dress to impress, just enough to meet the dress codes.  

Son Of Arthritis, Ibuprofin Chapter. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We've decided that we will do the drinks package for our staycation on Iona.  Usually it wouldn't be worth it for the two of us, but on this occasion with no port days we'll better value out of it than on cruises that can be port intensive and we would only have a couple of drinks in the evening.

As you say, factor in posh teas and coffees instead of using the buffet, glass of wine or a beer with lunch, pre-dinner cocktail instead of a beer and maybe a port after dinner it will be a nice treat when we return to cruising.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

As you say, factor in posh teas and coffees instead of using the buffet, glass of wine or a beer with lunch, pre-dinner cocktail instead of a beer and maybe a port after dinner it will be a nice treat when we return to cruising.

You have made me think now.  We will be bobbing about in the English Channel and off the French Coast, hopefully, in September, and with no stops it might b e worth considering the drinks package.

Off to investigate.  Thank you