Welcome Back Cruises 2021 - Malta & Adriatic Cruises and General Discussion

JM0115

Has anyone looked at the options for getting from the airport to the cruise pier.  It appears to be a very short distance.  Perhaps I can roller skate it.  Hope it's down hill!

2 hours ago, MikeyB said:

Has anyone looked at the options for getting from the airport to the cruise pier.  It appears to be a very short distance.  Perhaps I can roller skate it.  Hope it's down hill!

As long as you’re masked and socially distanced! 😉

Edited by LindaS272

2 hours ago, MikeyB said:

We were picked up by the Ship's Agent, but you can book a taxi. It was about 5 miles and took about 10 to 15 mins.

On 5/8/2021 at 1:53 PM, molymoo said:

It appears that some Bermuda passengers cancelled their Bermuda cruises and picked up  one of the Malta itineraries.  The reason was the rather onerous requirements for admission.  Sadly it appears that Malta’s requirements are just as complicated.  I will hang in with Bermuda but if viking’s “radio silence” continues much longer we may throw in the towel.  

We added the August 13th Malta cruise to the June 15th Bermuda cruise. As of today, we are going to cancel the Malta cruise because of the lack of Vikings communication on Bermuda AND US citizens are not allowed to enter Malta. Even if we suddenly went from a red to amber country, a 72 hour negative PCR test is required. Most of the 72 hours before the cruise would be lost to travel and crossing time zones. If Viking knows something about US citizen entry to Malta, they need to share.

In addition to the Covid issues, we had Air Plus issues trying to make our flight arrangements for Malta. They said that, at this time, there were no return flights leaving after the required 9 AM time. All of the return flights seem to leave Malta at 6:30 AM. So, that's in limbo, too.

I dont think Viking is ready to resume and I think we jumped the gun. If things don't start looking up on Bermuda, we may cancel it, too.

11 minutes ago, MRGACRUZR said:

We added the August 13th Malta cruise to the June 15th Bermuda cruise. As of today, we are going to cancel the Malta cruise because of the lack of Vikings communication on Bermuda AND US citizens are not allowed to enter Malta. Even if we suddenly went from a red to amber country, a 72 hour negative PCR test is required. Most of the 72 hours before the cruise would be lost to travel and crossing time zones. If Viking knows something about US citizen entry to Malta, they need to share.

In addition to the Covid issues, we had Air Plus issues trying to make our flight arrangements for Malta. They said that, at this time, there were no return flights leaving after the required 9 AM time. All of the return flights seem to leave Malta at 6:30 AM. So, that's in limbo, too.

I dont think Viking is ready to resume and I think we jumped the gun. If things don't start looking up on Bermuda, we may cancel it, too.

MRGACRUZR, I totally understand where you are coming from. We cancelled Bermuda and booked Malta-Croatia instead. I do agree that US citizens cannot go to Malta currently but am crossing my fingers that things will change/improve by September when we are planning to go there. I feel like we might have jumped the gun on these cruises as things are not as worked out as I would have hoped. I would think that Viking understood the situation with Malta and been assured that US visitors would be able to come, but I don't have any insight into that. Good luck with Bermuda!

MRGACRUZR and JM0115 -

Similar thoughts as you both here as well.  We are still booked for Bermuda June 29, and almost pulled the plug on Malta.  We decided to hold off on that one though.  Doesn't seem to have the popularity as the Bermuda & Iceland ones.  Possibly because it appears to be a real crapshoot.  Both cruises have the perception that Viking has not really planned this very well, but could also be because the variius governments are not yielding either. 

We will pull the plug on June 15 (14 days) if there still is no info forthcoming, as the current 3 days over a weekend required COVID test for vaccinated people is totally untenable and not doable for us, and I would think, at least half the prospective customers.  We'll have to see who wins out.

As for Malta, with the demand low, we'll just see what news comes out over the following months.

Stay safe all!

8 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

MRGACRUZR and JM0115 -

Similar thoughts as you both here as well.  We are still booked for Bermuda June 29, and almost pulled the plug on Malta.  We decided to hold off on that one though.  Doesn't seem to have the popularity as the Bermuda & Iceland ones.  Possibly because it appears to be a real crapshoot.  Both cruises have the perception that Viking has not really planned this very well, but could also be because the variius governments are not yielding either. 

We will pull the plug on June 15 (14 days) if there still is no info forthcoming, as the current 3 days over a weekend required COVID test for vaccinated people is totally untenable and not doable for us, and I would think, at least half the prospective customers.  We'll have to see who wins out.

As for Malta, with the demand low, we'll just see what news comes out over the following months.

Stay safe all!

Exactly. We successfully cancelled our Malta 8/13 with Viking, today. They called, which was top notch, about my concerns (no return flights, yet and final payment due the end of this week (nearly 20,000 with business air) and no US entry into Malta. Very much a crap shoot and there is no way I want a "one time use only" $20,000 voucher from Viking, or any other travel concern. We want to go and will go if things get settled. Malta and the Adriadic Jewels is a fantastic itinerary. Wait and see while our money draws .00001% interest. 🙄

If they don't give me the "warm and fuzzies" about Bermuda, 14 days out we'll be requesting a voucher.

On a positive note, the Viking rep that called stated that she didn't think Viking would book a cruise for Canadians and US folks if they weren't pretty sure they could pull it off and anticipated a change in Maltas entry requirements and that appropriate flights will be added. This would be a good time to mention that Viking cannot deal with any departing flight before 9AM....for those contemplating making their own air arrangements. I asked if she'd bet 20 grand on it? Anyway, she was super and we got a full refund.

Meanwhile, in Bermuda, they are tightening their entry requirements (as of 6/6), making it logistically challenging, considering the weekend is 2 of the 3 days and Monday is too late to request a visit with negative Covid documentation. Hopeful Viking has a solution.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MRGACRUZR said:

Exactly. We successfully cancelled our Malta 8/13 with Viking, today. They called, which was top notch, about my concerns (no return flights, yet and final payment due the end of this week (nearly 20,000 with business air) and no US entry into Malta. Very much a crap shoot and there is no way I want a "one time use only" $20,000 voucher from Viking, or any other travel concern. We want to go and will go if things get settled. Malta and the Adriadic Jewels is a fantastic itinerary. Wait and see while our money draws .00001% interest. 🙄

If they don't give me the "warm and fuzzies" about Bermuda, 14 days out we'll be requesting a voucher.

On a positive note, the Viking rep that called stated that she didn't think Viking would book a cruise for Canadians and US folks if they weren't pretty sure they could pull it off and anticipated a change in Maltas entry requirements and that appropriate flights will be added. This would be a good time to mention that Viking cannot deal with any departing flight before 9AM....for those contemplating making their own air arrangements. I asked if she'd bet 20 grand on it? Anyway, she was super and we got a full refund.

Meanwhile, in Bermuda, they are tightening their entry requirements (as of 6/6), making it logistically challenging, considering the weekend is 2 of the 3 days and Monday is too late to request a visit with negative Covid documentation. Hopeful Viking has a solution.

Not sure if you are concerned about getting a covid test result but when we traveled to Hawaii we got a test done at Walgreens.  We had the results in two hours and it is free.  This is. PCR test.  I may have misunderstood- but if you are concerned regarding test results walgreens is a great option.

20 minutes ago, shadowlover said:

Not sure if you are concerned about getting a covid test result but when we traveled to Hawaii we got a test done at Walgreens.  We had the results in two hours and it is free.  This is. PCR test.  I may have misunderstood- but if you are concerned regarding test results walgreens is a great option.

The main concern is getting the Covid test results in two days so we can apply for a visit on the third day, which may be too late.  I'm surprised you got the PCR in 2 hours because it has to be sent to a lab. The Walgreens near me are saying 48 hours for PCR and same day for antigen test. I'll have to go by and talk to them. They have a caveat on their web page stating that if you need the PCR test for travel, you may not get it back in time. Just more of the uncertainty of rushing to put something together.

Just now, MRGACRUZR said:

The main concern is getting the Covid test results in two days so we can apply for a visit on the third day, which may be too late.  I'm surprised you got the PCR in 2 hours because it has to be sent to a lab. The Walgreens near me are saying 48 hours for PCR and same day for antigen test. I'll have to go by and talk to them. They have a caveat on their web page stating that if you need the PCR test for travel, you may not get it back in time. Just more of the uncertainty of rushing to put something together.

You have to search for the ID now test at walgreens.  It is only offered at certain walgreens but many do offer them.  You have to schedule the specific test but the results are available 24 hours.  We were notified in 2 hours.   My whole family just did this for travel to Hawaii.  You need to schedule the test and they are open on weekends.  It can be a bit of a hassle but honestly it's quite easy once you find the testing site and have your test scheduled.  I agree that viking has been less than forthcoming.  I honestly didn't think I would make it to Hawaii with all the hoops we needed to jump through but we made it.  I have been vaccinated since January as well.  Hawaii doesn't care yet about vaccination.  The false sense of security with a negative test x1 is all they asked for.  Bermuda looks like they are requiring ongoing testing throughout the visit which actually makes sense.  This whole thing is very disruptive to travel but we have seen how destructive the virus can be... Good luck!!!

10 minutes ago, shadowlover said:

You have to search for the ID now test at walgreens.  It is only offered at certain walgreens but many do offer them.  You have to schedule the specific test but the results are available 24 hours.  We were notified in 2 hours.   My whole family just did this for travel to Hawaii.  You need to schedule the test and they are open on weekends.  It can be a bit of a hassle but honestly it's quite easy once you find the testing site and have your test scheduled.  I agree that viking has been less than forthcoming.  I honestly didn't think I would make it to Hawaii with all the hoops we needed to jump through but we made it.  I have been vaccinated since January as well.  Hawaii doesn't care yet about vaccination.  The false sense of security with a negative test x1 is all they asked for.  Bermuda looks like they are requiring ongoing testing throughout the visit which actually makes sense.  This whole thing is very disruptive to travel but we have seen how destructive the virus can be... Good luck!!!

Bermuda does not accept the IDNOW test, unfortunately.

16 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Like TSA, the testing makes us feel comfortable about traveling again -- but will it actually protect us? That remains to be seen.

For me, vaccination requirement makes me feel safe about cruising. I hope Viking crew will be 100% vaccinated by July. 

I am a little concern about the rapid testing done at KEF. It’s not the most accurate. What happen if there’s false negative/positive?

9 hours ago, MRGACRUZR said:

Bermuda does not accept the IDNOW test, unfortunately.

The walgreens ID now test is a nasal PCR test and should indeed be accepted.  Where did you get your information?  Someone else on this board called Bermuda government and was told that it is indeed accepted.  Just make sure before you change your plans.  The whole thing can be confusing but make sure you double check and perhaps get it in writing.  Anything to get back to travel!

1 minute ago, shadowlover said:

The walgreens ID now test is a nasal PCR test and should indeed be accepted.  Where did you get your information?  Someone else on this board called Bermuda government and was told that it is indeed accepted.  Just make sure before you change your plans.  The whole thing can be confusing but make sure you double check and perhaps get it in writing.  Anything to get back to travel!

Now two people on this board have called. One was told no and the other yes.

We have decided to stay in Valetta for 3 nights after disembarkation from our cruise since Malta looks so nice. I know it is crazy given that we are not sure what the Covid testing requirements will be but I am hopeful that by September we will not need a Covid test to return to the US. Also, Malta airport has a rapid Covid test currently. Our flights and hotel are refundable so we can modify if we need to.

• Like 2

Hello all,

Viking recently added a "free" silver spirits package to these cruises.

Since nothing is rarely free, can anyone tell me whether Viking raised the cruise fare to compensate for the free booze like they did with the Iceland cruises?  Thanks.

3 hours ago, MikeyB said:

Hello all,

Viking recently added a "free" silver spirits package to these cruises.

Since nothing is rarely free, can anyone tell me whether Viking raised the cruise fare to compensate for the free booze like they did with the Iceland cruises?  Thanks.

MikeyB - we just looked.  The prices for cabins have not changed.  We almost booked in August when it first came out, but got cold feet as the USA was not even permitted entry.  Today the prices are the same as when we looked weeks ago.  Sounds like a deal!   Even Viking Air was the same, although I don't think we'll use them at all - some bad experiences.

Thanks Kent!

The Iceland prices were raised and I then assumed they did the same with the other "Welcome Back" cruises.  

Perhaps I might see you in Malta ahead of our transatlantic cruise!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarkTapley said:

Interesting news that Lufthansa is going to be flying nonstop flights from Newark to Malta, to support the Viking sailings.  That would be a great way to get there, for those joining these cruises.  Link to article, below.

https://onemileatatime.com/lufthansa-newark-malta-route/

They are correct - the flights are not found on Lufthansa or other 3rd party sites.

So likely you can only get them with Viking Air Plus.    Will have to ask Viking about this.