Mask Mandate for cruises CDC?

39august

12 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

After 176 posts in this thread, I've lost track.  Has anything officially changed with all this pontificating since the first post ?   Has anyone's opinion changed based on a post?

So true.

On 5/7/2021 at 5:06 PM, KEG21552 said:

We have been told by many on this board to "believe the science".  Well, we got the vaccine because we were told of 95% efficacy and the chances of spread between vaccinated people, very, very small.  If I still have to wear a mask,  why the h   l did I get the vaccine?

Yes!! Agreed 100%

On 5/7/2021 at 5:06 PM, KEG21552 said:

Wow, even the NY Times is calling out the CDC for incorrectly misleading us by stating mask wearing guidelines outdoors.

"When the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released new guidelines last month for mask wearing, it announced that “less than 10 percent” of Covid-19 transmission was occurring outdoors. Media organizations repeated the statistic, (ignorant lemmings; my emphasis) and it quickly became a standard description of the frequency of outdoor transmission."

"That benchmark “seems to be a huge exaggeration,” as Dr. Muge Cevik, a virologist at the University of St. Andrews, said. In truth, the share of transmission that has occurred outdoors seems to be below 1 percent and may be below 0.1 percent,"

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/11/briefing/outdoor-covid-transmission-cdc-number.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

So we're supposed to believe them when they say anything about cruising?  This isn't the first time they were misleading or flat out wrong! Do you still believe them?  I own  bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you a piece of.  (sorry for ending the sentence in a preposition.  errr no I'm not. lol)

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Wow, even the NY Times is calling out the CDC for incorrectly misleading us by stating mask wearing guidelines outdoors.

"When the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released new guidelines last month for mask wearing, it announced that “less than 10 percent” of Covid-19 transmission was occurring outdoors. Media organizations repeated the statistic, (ignorant lemmings; my emphasis) and it quickly became a standard description of the frequency of outdoor transmission."

"That benchmark “seems to be a huge exaggeration,” as Dr. Muge Cevik, a virologist at the University of St. Andrews, said. In truth, the share of transmission that has occurred outdoors seems to be below 1 percent and may be below 0.1 percent,"

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/11/briefing/outdoor-covid-transmission-cdc-number.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

So we're supposed to believe them when they say anything about cruising?  This isn't the first time they were misleading or flat out wrong! Do you still believe them?  I own  bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you a piece of.  (sorry for ending the sentence in a preposition.  errr no I'm not. lol)

I think that they have turned the CDC from being the "Gold Standard" to the "Tarnished Copper" standard.  They are quickly loosing credibility.

Apparently they have more problems than just messaging issues.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The CDC has certainly had some fumbles and the 'average' American has also proven to be mentally uncapable of understanding science or processing situations where there is no black and white answer. Instead of reading and understanding the common reaction is to read 2 bullets from a list of 14 and go on a tirade instead. 

Back to cruising.....

Celebrity was apparently prepared and okay with most or all of the issues rated to the documents and guidelines released last week except for the masking policy (which is separate from the CSO anyway), the social distancing guidelines and the contract tracing recommendations. Which is odd, because Fain and their own Healthy Sail Panel have talked about social distancing and contact tracing for months and months now. Supposedly more discussion to be had on those three topics.

30 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

The CDC has certainly had some fumbles and the 'average' American has also proven to be mentally uncapable of understanding science or processing situations where there is no black and white answer. Instead of reading and understanding the common reaction is to read 2 bullets from a list of 14 and go on a tirade instead. 

Back to cruising.....

Celebrity was apparently prepared and okay with most or all of the issues rated to the documents and guidelines released last week except for the masking policy (which is separate from the CSO anyway), the social distancing guidelines and the contract tracing recommendations. Which is odd, because Fain and their own Healthy Sail Panel have talked about social distancing and contact tracing for months and months now. Supposedly more discussion to be had on those three topics.

The Safe Sail panel also recommended masks.

2 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

probably to appease the CDC which wanted them in their guidance.  I'd bet ya if the CDC didn't say masks, neither would the safe sale panel.

No. The Safe Sail Panel predates the CDC mandate by months. Try Google. 

14 minutes ago, markeb said:

No. The Safe Sail Panel predates the CDC mandate by months. Try Google. 

Oh yeah it's true. You read it on an unbiased internet. lol

The Healthy Sail Panel submitted its recommendations on September 21, 2020 to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in response to a CDC request for public comment.

So you're saying the CDC didn't mandate masks until after 9/21/20? 

CDC recommends that people wear masks in public settings, at events and gatherings, and anywhere they will be around other people. Effective February 2, 2021, masks are required on planes, buses, trains, and other forms of public transportation traveling into, within, or out of the United States and in U.S. transportation hubs such as airports and stations.

So that makes you as credible as the CDC.  Sry I didn't use Google. I used duckduckgo.  If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a QUACK aka the CDC.

Do you work in the Government?

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

So you're saying the CDC didn't mandate masks until after 9/21/20? 

No, they didn’t. States did. Including I think yours. Which you probably know. 

And no, close to 30 years in the Army. Mostly in public health. Andyoy credentials are?

3 minutes ago, markeb said:

No, they didn’t. States did. Including I think yours. Which you probably know. 

And no, close to 30 years in the Army. Mostly in public health. Andyoy credentials are?

I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.

But I appreciate your service. Thank you.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

probably to appease the CDC which wanted them in their guidance.  I'd bet ya if the CDC didn't say masks, neither would the safe sale panel.

Actually I expect that they would have since mask were required on the cruises in Singapore and Europe. Also part of the EU guidance which was published before the safe sale panel report.

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

out dated info

exactly what cruise that are sailing today are not requiring masks?

considering that the person I responded to was talking about the CEO comments relative to the safe sail report it was not obsolete.

8 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

probably to appease the CDC 

probably because it makes sense?

So much hate here, it‘s time for some to chill out a little instead of stuffing their political views into our throats!

Edited by Yoshikitty

On 5/10/2021 at 8:43 PM, ChucktownSteve said:

After 176 posts in this thread, I've lost track.  Has anything officially changed with all this pontificating since the first post ?   Has anyone's opinion changed based on a post?

Why should this thread be any different than most other threads on CC?

3 hours ago, Yoshikitty said:

So much hate here, it‘s time for some to chill out a little instead of stuffing their political views into our throats!

When even the NY Times runs a counter CDC story proving them spouting misleading or incorrect information, that's not a political view being stuffed into your throat.  How many times does the CDC need to be shown to release incorrect or misleading information and recommendations before the light bulb illuminates? The list is quite long.

Yet I still see people nowadays driving alone in their cars wearing a mask. ROFLMAO

• Thanks 1

I'm actually disappointed that Celebrity has not come out and indicated that vaccinations will be required on cruises for the foreseeable future.  They have instituted this requirement for cruises originating from outside the US, why not continue the requirement for cruises from the US.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I'm actually disappointed that Celebrity has not come out and indicated that vaccinations will be required on cruises for the foreseeable future.  They have instituted this requirement for cruises originating from outside the US, why not continue the requirement for cruises from the US.

Perhaps they want to operate out of Florida and can't effectively do that if they require vaccinations.    With the governor there running for president and wanting to maintain support from the right-wing of his party, he is unlikely to signal a willingness to back-up from Florida's ill-conceived (in my opinion) policy regarding proof of vaccinations.

43 minutes ago, jgmorgan said:

Perhaps they want to operate out of Florida and can't effectively do that if they require vaccinations.    With the governor there running for president and wanting to maintain support from the right-wing of his party, he is unlikely to signal a willingness to back-up from Florida's ill-conceived (in my opinion) policy regarding proof of vaccinations.

I would tend to agree with your assessment, but I continue to question the enforceability of the Governor’s order. Celebrity may be waiting for a resolution or for him to back off. NCL head has said they are talking directly with the Governor’s office.  It will be hard for him politically to back off. I think he shot himself in the foot on this one. Kind of amusing to watch actually. 

Back to masks on cruises…..I assume lots have seen the changes CDC has agreed to, in that vaccinated passengers can take private/on their own tours, as allowed by ports and ship. Should be interesting to see how CDC makes more changes as time passes and more get vaccinated/ships show good safety approaches.

Den

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

Back to masks on cruises…..I assume lots have seen the changes CDC has agreed to, in that vaccinated passengers can take private/on their own tours, as allowed by ports and ship. Should be interesting to see how CDC makes more changes as time passes and more get vaccinated/ships show good safety approaches.

Den

Yes great news. I wonder how much of their changes are the results of the push back from Congress and the lawsuit hearing today, not to mention the cruising public outcry and petitions?  Are they finally realizing they have to come down their mountain and follow the actual science.

• Like 1