Mask Mandate for cruises CDC?

39august

13 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

What I meant was the purpose of the vaccine is to largely prevent serious illness, intubation, weeks in a hospital.  And death.  Meaning you can still post because you are vaxxed and alive

The mask thing is such an infinitesimal eventual side effect that it isn't even on my radar.

Spent almost 4 hours at a ball game on Wednesday night and even though we've been vaxxed since January, followed the MLB mask mandate, very similar to what would be (likely for a finite time) the procedure on ships.

My reaction?   No big deal.   YMMV. 

I appreciate that.  I wear a mask when it is required, it not, I don't.

The regulations as a whole, do not seem infinitesimal to me.  I sincerely hope that all who chose to cruise under the guidelines have a good experience.  I will just wait it out

• Like 1

Clarification, please!

I just read that this mask-wearing, social distancing requirement by the CDC is for trial-run cruises ONLY and does not apply to cruises that require a high percentage of vaccinated passengers. If this is the case, whew!

4 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

It has been in effect since the beginning of February.  The end date is when a public health emergency no longer exists (determination of such by the Secretary of Health and Human Services) or when the order is modified or rescinded in response to specific public health information, i.e., when it is determined that masking is no longer needed.

The update to the Conditional Sailing Order has links to relevant information, but it includes the section on mask use below.  This is the link to the document that contains this section:

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/covid19-operations-manual-cso.html

Mask Use

At this time, all persons, including port personnel, crew, and passengers (including those that are fully vaccinated) are advised that CDC’s Mask Order remains in effect and requires the wearing of masks on conveyances entering, traveling within or leaving the United States, and in U.S. transportation hubs (see Maritime-specific Frequently Asked Questions).

• While the Order permits temporarily removing a mask for brief periods of time while eating or drinking, removal of the mask for extended meal service or beverage consumption would constitute a violation of this Order.

Yes but read the last paragraph.  Apparently the CDC does want you to put the mask on, take the mask off,  have a bite, put the mask on, take the mask off, have a sip and so on.  Absolutely foolish!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 39august said:

What is the end date on the "mask mandate" and when was it announced, please? Somehow I have missed this.

The end date is when you die or the last surviving person is left without the possibility of contracting the Covid virus.

Is there anyone who believes the CDC is actually following "the science"  and not just playing politics?  What they're really saying is, that in their opinion, the vaccine isn't effective so you must stay six feet apart and wear a mask unless you're alone with family.

How can he CDC not realize those flimsy, disposable masks we're forced to wear aren't effective at protecting anyone?  They're just for show or to give mask shammers a purpose in life.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 7

8 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

The end date is when you die or the last surviving person is left without the possibility of contracting the Covid virus.

Is there anyone who believes the CDC is actually following "the science"  and not just playing politics?  What they're really saying is, that in their opinion, the vaccine isn't effective so you must stay six feet apart and wear a mask unless you're alone with family.

The last 2 cruisers then enter the Thunderdome.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

I dealt with them in business. They are good at 80,000 feet and high level concepts.  Not so good on how that translates to everyday usage

13 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Yes but read the last paragraph.  Apparently the CDC does want you to put the mask on, take the mask off,  have a bite, put the mask on, take the mask off, have a sip and so on.  Absolutely foolish!

I think this is to prevent what we have seen recently:  Blatant disregard for mask use in certain environments.

Like buying a 12 oz beer, removing your mask for 2 hours while you take a sip every 15-20 minutes.  Or, what we saw just 2 nights ago, buying a 3 oz. bag of peanuts and eating one peanut every 10 minutes or so, slowly chewing on it and taking hours to eat the 3 oz.  And smirking the entire time to the employees who asked him to follow the procedures. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

I think this is to prevent what we have seen recently:  Blatant disregard for mask use in certain environments.

Like buying a 12 oz beer, removing your mask for 2 hours while you take a sip every 15-20 minutes.  Or, what we saw just 2 nights ago, buying a 3 oz. bag of peanuts and eating one peanut every 10 minutes or so, slowly chewing on it and taking hours to eat the 3 oz.  And smirking the entire time to the employees who asked him to follow the procedures. 

Oh the ignominy!! (deep personal humiliation and disgrace.)

Edited by ChucktownSteve

18 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Restaurants where I live are following CDC guidance, masks when entering, mask off the entire time while dining - the entire time, tables spaced appropriately, etc etc etc.  If cruise ships space the tables and they will, how on earth does it differ from dining on land???  OK, I get (kind of) masks in close spaces, elevators for example, but again if gym equipment is spaced out, how does that differ from the gym we go to on land?  WTH is the point of having been vaccinated if they are going to continue to go all draconian on this, with folks who are more than capable of making their own decisions on whether to go on a cruise!!  I've supported much of what CDC has implemented the past year, but now come on already, I am beginning to think they do not want the US cruise industry to survive.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Oh the ignominy!!

Or rudeness.

No one forced them to be there.  They knew the parameters before they entered the establishment.  And put the employees there in a difficult place in attempts to enforce what their boss, a private, American business, set as standards. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Are you saying that sitting at a table in a restaurant, on land or a ship, and in MA we have the arbitrary rule of a 90 minute time limit, it is "blatant" to eat our dinner unmasked and not having to mask up for each chew or between sips of our beverage?  Perhaps the smirking was just a happy person being able to resume some normalcy in their life for 90 minutes or whatever the arbitrary time limit is.

28 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

What is the difference between sitting at a table drinking a beer for two hours or eating a full meal for two hours when you're at least 6 feet from anyone and have been vaccinated?  Are they more likely to spread the deadly virus drinking the beer than eating the meal??

• Like 5

The apparent updated guidance for cruise ships is not consistent with guidance for fully vaccinated... as it relates to masking and social distancing. CDC guidance related to cruise ships...updated May 5

guidance for fully vaccinated... look at "What you can start to do section"

So far I have not heard any explanation for wearing masks and socially distancing once fully vaccinated.  Apparently science says you can not get or give the virus once vaccinated AP fact checking on sheddingJohns Hopkins piece discussing effectiveness of vaccine.... last paragraph notes that the reason to wear a mask in public..is more optics... since you don't know ..in most instances who is vaccinated and who is not  but in a all vaccinated cruise that is answered.

Now while this is an issue if celebrity and Royal allow unvaccinated children... NCL planned on 100% vaccinated and the CEO blew a gasket about these guidelines.. so I guess the CDC will not back off this for fully vaccinated... I am beginning to wonder if they want people vaccinated...because why do it if nothing changes

Edited by kearney
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

What is the difference between sitting at a table drinking a beer for two hours or eating a full meal for two hours when you're at least 6 feet from anyone and have been vaccinated?  Are they more likely to spread the deadly virus drinking the beer than eating the meal??

If they chew with their mouth open.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Because the business set the parameters.  Which is actively eating or drinking.  Which means that eating the meal might take 2 hours but drinking one 12 oz. beer does not.  And they need to turn the table, especially if people are waiting.  Which I think will be exactly the situation when cruising resumes. And how would you know that everyone is vaxxed?

But sitting and hogging a seat for 2 hours while you nurse one beer was rude 2 years ago, is rude now, and will be rude 2 years hence. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Restaurants where I live are following CDC guidance, masks when entering, mask off the entire time while dining - the entire time, tables spaced appropriately, etc etc etc.  If cruise ships space the tables and they will, how on earth does it differ from dining on land???  OK, I get (kind of) masks in close spaces, elevators for example, but again if gym equipment is spaced out, how does that differ from the gym we go to on land?  WTH is the point of having been vaccinated if they are going to continue to go all draconian on this, with folks who are more than capable of making their own decisions on whether to go on a cruise!!  I've supported much of what CDC has implemented the past year, but now come on already, I am beginning to think they do not want the US cruise industry to survive.  

It does make one wonder if the CDC wants the industry to survive.  It sure seems like they don't, as their requirements are much more strict (and IMHO ridiculous) than their requirements for other venues.  If they require 95% vaccinated, and crew 98% vaccinated, it makes no sense according to the science  for them to have such strict mask requirements.  I am 100% not anti-mask at all.  I am fully vaccinated (thank goodness) and I still follow all the mask wearing guidelines for the areas I am in (even the crazy mask mandate that was in effect in Miami-Dade county where I had to wear a mask even outside in botanic gardens - in the 99 degrees real feel temps on my recent visit).  But to have such strict vaccine requirements and then expect people to move their mask up and down in-between bites or when sitting on a lounge chair at the pool 6' away from someone else is beyond ridiculous!  The more I think about it, the more I really do think that they want to tank the industry.  The cynical part of me thinks that the whole mess the cruise lines were in initially with the virus reflected badly on the CDC and this is the payback.  I know that sounds very negative, but it makes me wonder.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, verizon said:

IMHO CDC should be responsible for the number of people employed, instead of gaining a million we only had 266000.

What a disappointment in the job market.

Huh?

16 minutes ago, verizon said:

IMHO CDC should be responsible for the number of people employed, instead of gaining a million we only had 266000.

what????

7 hours ago, 39august said:

What is the end date on the "mask mandate" and when was it announced, please? Somehow I have missed this.

Oh goodie!  Another mask thread🙄

If you are talking about the mask protocol for US cruises, it was announced on May 5th.  It will expire when the Conditional Sail Order expires, November 1st.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

IMO, a bigger issue is the new Florida law prohibiting businesses from requiring proof of vaccination in order to enter the establishment.  Will the CDC vaccination mandate take precedence? I sure hope so but if there is a court fight, how long will that delay the start of cruising from Florida? And, what other states will follow Florida's lead?

47 minutes ago, verizon said:

Why work when everything is free or when the gov't pays more to stay home? I know of people who are working and double dipping. I find it disgusting. Montana and S Carolina are fixing their states. Hope more do, as well.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Why work when everything is free or when the gov't pays more to stay home? I know of people who are working and double dipping. I find it disgusting. Montana and S Carolina are fixing their states. Hope more do, as well.

I know!

Just did my grocery shopping yesterday and the total was $0.  And my taxes now, are gratis, as is my mortgage.  Gas was $0.00 a gallon just this morning so I filled up, including 2 spare 5 gallon cans.

Making out like a bandit. 

• Like 1