Mask Mandate for cruises CDC?

39august

6 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

I know!

Just did my grocery shopping yesterday and the total was $0.  And my taxes now, are gratis, as is my mortgage.  Gas was $0.00 a gallon just this morning so I filled up, including 2 spare 5 gallon cans.

Making out like a bandit. 

It is not a joke. My dear friends daughter in CA is unemployed and won't go back to work because her unemployment pays almost as much as she was making. It is a sad state of affairs. 

Enjoy your food stamps while taking your cruise 😞

• Like 1

I'm absolutely baffled about all of this.  The cruise industry is being treated so unfairly. And the whole anti mask thing...yeah I am when it comes to laying out in the sun in 90 degree weather. Pools here in the US aren't even doing that at this point.  Come on CDC you are infringing on my right to pursue  happiness!! You have already taken my liberty.  I understood it temporarily, but it's time to get on with living!  We are adult people, we can make our own decisions. CDC ,oh whoa ,whoa let our cruises go!!😝

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ECCruise said:

Because the business set the parameters.  Which is actively eating or drinking.  Which means that eating the meal might take 2 hours but drinking one 12 oz. beer does not.  And they need to turn the table, especially if people are waiting.  Which I think will be exactly the situation when cruising resumes. And how would you know that everyone is vaxxed?

But sitting and hogging a seat for 2 hours while you nurse one beer was rude 2 years ago, is rude now, and will be rude 2 years hence. 

I never said everyone was vaxxed, just the seat hogger.  Turning the table is not the issue. Not wearing the mask appeared to be from your original post.  So if LGW59 can sit and watch people in the buffet for amusement, why can't your restaurant seat hogger, (without having a mask in place the way you like), do the same?

If the restaurant doesn't appreciate the beer drinker (or peanut eater) then it is up to them to ask the errant patron to vacate the premises.  Or are you one of the mask shammers?

1 hour ago, verizon said:

IMHO CDC should be responsible for the number of people employed, instead of gaining a million we only had 266000.

What a disappointment in the job market.

Oh good grief!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

Clarification, please!

I just read that this mask-wearing, social distancing requirement by the CDC is for trial-run cruises ONLY and does not apply to cruises that require a high percentage of vaccinated passengers. If this is the case, whew!

Nope.  Applies to both test and restricted cruises, including vaccinated ones.

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Yes but read the last paragraph.  Apparently the CDC does want you to put the mask on, take the mask off,  have a bite, put the mask on, take the mask off, have a sip and so on.  Absolutely foolish!

That is not what that says.

When they extended meal service it means that if one is actively eating the mask can be left off. But between courses or during any other period where on is not actively eating for a period of time such as participating in conversation the mask should be one.

That is not the same as having to pull the mask up while chewing or between bites, unless there is an extended period between them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, harkinmr said:

Nope.  Applies to both test and restricted cruises, including vaccinated ones.

We do not know what the CDC will approve for cruises with vaccinated passengers and crew because as of yet the cruise lines have not submitted a plan involving such.

The guidance as written must cover the worst case non vaccinated case. They are not written for the best case, fully vaccinated situation.

But we have seen with the attestation of vaccination status that the CDC will waive the test cruises. So it is highly likely that some of the other requirements might be waived as well depending upon the total plan submitted by the cruise line.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, verizon said:

IMHO CDC should be responsible for the number of people employed, instead of gaining a million we only had 266000.

That's not the reason why.  People are getting paid more in unemployment benefits than they would in their previous job (i.e wait staff).  But enough of that, this is NOT the place to talk politics any way...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kearney said:

Think of the lovely tan you will get while wearing a mask by the pool.

In a pool that 5-6 people can use at any one time based on social distancing.  And, no, not an exaggeration unfortunately.

Love the headline.

Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings' Boss Tears Into CDC

And these 2 paragraphs pretty much nails it:

"We're willing to vaccinate every single person onboard a cruise ship. There isn't another venue on earth -- not a school, a factory, your office -- that can make that claim.

"We will be the safest place on earth -- by definition. On top of that vaccination mandate we are going to implement the 74 Healthy Sail recommendations. No one on earth has it -- yet the CDC continues to treat us differently and we dare say unfairly."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, verizon said:

Considering the number of businesses that are trying to hire and cannot find people the problem is not due to the unemployed not having opportunity.

27 minutes ago, nocl said:

Considering the number of businesses that are trying to hire and cannot find people the problem is not due to the unemployed not having opportunity.

Yes.  In many cases the issue is that people are getting paid more to not work than they are to work.

There are many many for hire signs and few takers even though everyone can get the vaccine easily in our state.

Edited by NMTraveller

Wouldn't that mean that the market is dictating that employers need to raise wages to attract workers?  If they're making more on subsistence wages, that's a sad indictment of the entire system. 

Of course, lost in this overly simplistic argument is that not a lot of people are really refusing to work because they're getting unemployment.  It's a repackaging of the "welfare queen" myth used to gin up a certain segment of the population.  Many workers have safety concerns about working with the public during a pandemic.  Others have to weigh the costs of child care with school calendars being in flux.  Beyond all of that, extended benefits are temporary.  This labor shortage will pass, and then the usual suspects will be off to demonize some other group.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, sea-lover95 said:

I'm absolutely baffled about all of this.  The cruise industry is being treated so unfairly. And the whole anti mask thing...yeah I am when it comes to laying out in the sun in 90 degree weather. Pools here in the US aren't even doing that at this point.  Come on CDC you are infringing on my right to pursue  happiness!! You have already taken my liberty.  I understood it temporarily, but it's time to get on with living!  We are adult people, we can make our own decisions. CDC ,oh whoa ,whoa let our cruises go!!😝

You just don't get it ... understandable ... but ...

do you get not being able to walk around nude in public? Do you get not being able to speed in your automobile at 100 MPH when it makes you happy? The reason I think you don't do the above mentioned is out of repspect for the safety and security of others.

Following C19 safety protocols can be burdensome but they benefit whatever society you are in, including a cruising society.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, GlobalMethod said:

do you get not being able to walk around nude in public? Do you get not being able to speed in your automobile at 100 MPH when it makes you happy? The reason I think you don't do the above mentioned is out of repspect for the safety and security of others.

Following C19 safety protocols can be burdensome but they benefit whatever society you are in, including a cruising society.

No, I think you are the one that “doesn’t get it.”   It is just irresponsible not to recognize the differences between vaccinated and non-vaccinated people.  The Covid protocols were fine before people were vaccinated, they protected everyone.   However the vaccines work very well and there is little chance a vaccinated person will contract Covid or spread it to other vaccinated people if they do. If the passengers and crew are vaccinated these restrictions make absolutely no sense.    Covid will never be eliminated, we just need to learn how to live with it.  The CDC is destroying its credibility for future pandemics by trying to continue to enforce rules that don’t make any sense.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GlobalMethod said:

So you obviously did not read my post. But you're patronizing me over something you thought you read. I said out in 90° weather. We can social distance on Deck especially since they will not be sailing at capacity for a while. So before you reply to a response make sure you read it correctly.  But we do have to start living again without masks that's not how human beings are supposed to live. Not to mention there's no telling what it's doing to our immune system not being exposed to anything. Using extremes of walking around naked and speeding 100 mph that's priceless. 

Edited by sea-lover95
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

Wouldn't that mean that the market is dictating that employers need to raise wages to attract workers?  If they're making more on subsistence wages, that's a sad indictment of the entire system. 

Of course, lost in this overly simplistic argument is that not a lot of people are really refusing to work because they're getting unemployment.  It's a repackaging of the "welfare queen" myth used to gin up a certain segment of the population.  Many workers have safety concerns about working with the public during a pandemic.  Others have to weigh the costs of child care with school calendars being in flux.  Beyond all of that, extended benefits are temporary.  This labor shortage will pass, and then the usual suspects will be off to demonize some other group.

My son got paid 5x as much when he was not working as when he was.  He was going to college at the time so was not working many hours.  He made bank and was able to pay off his car.

Minimum wage jobs are meant for teenagers.  There is no myth here. People are not working as the government is paying them more not to work.

Businesses had the same problem last year.  Even the post office is hiring but cannot fill the jobs.  Those jobs are a fairly healthy wage for nonskilled workers.

This problem will go away when the government quits paying people not to work.  Simplistic?  Yes it really is that simple.  It is Economics 101.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Minimum wage jobs are meant for teenagers.  There is no myth here. 

They may be meant for teenagers, but facts say otherwise, so yeah, there is a myth there.

Actual facts:

Teenage hourly employees from ages 16 and 19 represented about 10 percent of those earning the minimum wage or less

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

They may be meant for teenagers, but facts say otherwise, so yeah, there is a myth there.

Actual facts:

Teenage hourly employees from ages 16 and 19 represented about 10 percent of those earning the minimum wage or less

There are plenty of above minimum wage jobs out there right now which are not being filled.  It is a result of people being paid not to work.  In our state they do not even have to look for work.

My teens were on minimum wage for 6 to 9 months before they made better pay.

Edited by NMTraveller

5 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

In my area, people are getting more on unemployment...to a point....but my employer called me back and I went.  It is the right thing to do.  I can choose to move up in my industry (tourism/hospitality) and make more.  In fact, fast food places are paying well over $15 an hour now with hiring bonuses on the spot.  My issue is that the people at my place of employment want top pay....and yet they do only what 'gets them by' for their job.  They won't do extra, they won't be a team player - but we need bodies and so those people get away with it.  This extra pay on unemployment has created an environment of laziness and entitlement.  Our area is wide open for business and I am working tons and tons of hours - since again, people don't want to work or just don't show up for their shifts - but then those are the people crying for more pay.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

This problem will go away when the government quits paying people not to work.  Simplistic?  Yes it really is that simple.  It is Economics 101.

It is really  that simple. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Not wearing a mask on a cruise 24/7. Full stop. The CDC can KMA. 

I have the shot..ready to get on with life. 

One point of correction:  No need to wear the mask when in your cabin.  So not quite 24/7.  However, your point remains.  I know what you mean and I wholeheartedly agree.  I'm all for wearing a mask under the current guidelines that are being used on land, but not these over the top, "nuclear option" rules they're proposing/ordering.  They're acting as if it's May of 2020 and as if the past few months of people getting vaccinated never happened.

I had a lot of people take me to task in my complaints in how the CDC was handling things. Some of the comments were, shall we say, less than nice.  However, it seems people are now seeing exactly what I was seeing all along.  The CDC is ignoring the science of right now and basing this decision on how things looked a year ago.  Hell, the director couldn't even tell anyone if is was safe to not wear mask outside when no one was around without "looking into it".  That's the type of leadership they have.  SMH.

• Like 1