Who in their right mind would want to cruise under these conditions??????

Topdog52

On 5/7/2021 at 5:33 PM, Tapi said:

Me! Me! I’ll cruise under these “horrible” conditions! 😂

About “paying to wear a mask”, my thought is that I already wear a mask to do things that I DON’T want to do, so I won’t have a problem wearing a mask to do things that I DO want to do.

Yes, I hate the mask just like anybody else, and I’d prefer not to wear it, but if that’s what I need to do to initially get cruising again, it’s a small price that I’m willing to pay IMHO. 

Finally, someone with common sense.

Caution is always the best option.

As I see it, you can have meals served to your suite and not have to wear the mask.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 8:16 AM, HowardK said:

Viva Las Vegas! I plan on going back there- in fact the only reason I stopped going there was I returned to cruising and did that more. Best meals in my life were in Vegas. 

I just came back from Vegas recently, it has been over ten years since I was there last. We had a blast, I can not believe I waited this long to go back. In a weird way this no Cruising thing was good for something after all. It got me going back on land vacations and I'm loving it, these are the first land vacations I have done in years. This summer it will be Hawaii and I can not wait lol. 🥳

• Like 2

12 hours ago, harkinmr said:

And I call BS on you.  Don't be silly.  Your tax dollars are spent for a lot more things that you might otherwise disagree with and you know it.  If anyone thinks that these sailings are not going to be watched or that the cruise lines are not going to enforce the rules, I've got a bridge to sell them.

LOL.

I love that expression.  Why?

Why did "you" buy it in the first place?  😂

• Haha 6

7 hours ago, skywonder said:

This summer it will be Hawaii and I can not wait lol. 🥳

It will be a mighty long flight for you though with your mask on. 6 hours at least from LA isn't it? And if you are on the east coast even more.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, skywonder said:

I just came back from Vegas recently, it has been over ten years since I was there last. We had a blast, I can not believe I waited this long to go back. In a weird way this no Cruising thing was good for something after all. It got me going back on land vacations and I'm loving it, these are the first land vacations I have done in years. This summer it will be Hawaii and I can not wait lol. 🥳

Sounds great! Can I ask where you stayed at? My 3 times there I was at Luxor, The MGM and Tropicana- saw some concerts there as well.

Good news, everyone! The CDC is updating their guidance as we speak. The will now allow vaccinated passengers to go maskless in outdoor spaces and allow vaccinated passengers to roam freely in ports! Not quite as good as having a completely separate set of guidance for fully vaccinated sailings, since this seems like it will be far more difficult to monitor, but at least they are finally making some concessions that vaccinated passengers don't pose the same level of risk as unvaccinated passengers.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Good news, everyone! The CDC is updating their guidance as we speak. The will now allow vaccinated passengers to go maskless in outdoor spaces and allow vaccinated passengers to roam freely in ports! Not quite as good as having a completely separate set of guidance for fully vaccinated sailings, since this seems like it will be far more difficult to monitor, but at least they are finally making some concessions that vaccinated passengers don't pose the same level of risk as unvaccinated passengers.

Adding a link and a couple of direct quotes:

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/covid19-operations-manual-cso.html

Fully Vaccinated Travelers

• Cruise ship operators, at their discretion, may advise passengers and crew that—if they are fully vaccinated—they may gather or conduct activities outdoors, including engaging in extended meal service or beverage consumption, without wearing a mask except in crowded settings.

• Cruise ship operators, at their discretion, may advise passengers and crew that—if they are fully vaccinated—they may engage in self-guided or independent exploration during port stops, if they wear a mask while indoors. The cruise ship operator is additionally advised that foreign jurisdictions may have their own requirements.
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

This is great news, @JamieLogical! Thanks for posting this!

16 hours ago, SireDoime said:

Finally, someone with common sense.

Caution is always the best option.

As I see it, you can have meals served to your suite and not have to wear the mask.

If that makes you happy. 

'Caution' isn't always the best option.  

Why not just have Grubhub deliver your meals to your home? 

You won't have to wear a mask.

It will be as much fun as having meals served to your suite.

Think of the money you'll save.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I believe once everyone who wants the vaccine has had a chance to get it(we are getting there fast) and US weekly covid deaths drop to around 200(we are getting there fast) most if not all covid mandates will be dropped. By the time cruises actually start operating out of the US there will no mask or social distancing requirements anywhere, including air travel. This seems to be the hints we are getting if you dig around the internet and listen to administration officials. However, none want to say so directly because it might discourage people from getting vaccinated. I think they want to have some sort of covid "Independence Day" thing in July.

• Like 1

Since not a single cruise has sailed under CDC jurisdiction and won't for at least a couple of months, I am not surprised that they are modifying their rules and recommendations as we get closer to sail dates. In January and February, not that long ago, virtually no one expected us to be, in the US, at the vaccination levels we are today.  We are fast approaching the time when the ONLY adults who are not vaxxed are those who refuse to and will likely never will be.

A whole lot of weeping and gnashing of teeth over the last 3 months about the CDC who has, as it seems to be turning out, been analyzing the information and adjusting step by step.  As many here have said over and over.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

looks like the cdc is already backing off the mask wearing 🙂

Yes, I saw that. Outdoors.  Get back to me when they don’t have to be worn at all.  That was the point. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Since not a single cruise has sailed under CDC jurisdiction and won't for at least a couple of months, I am not surprised that they are modifying their rules and recommendations as we get closer to sail dates. In January and February, not that long ago, virtually no one expected us to be, in the US, at the vaccination levels we are today.  We are fast approaching the time when the ONLY adults who are not vaxxed are those who refuse to and will likely never will be.

A whole lot of weeping and gnashing of teeth over the last 3 months about the CDC who has, as it seems to be turning out, been analyzing the information and adjusting step by step.  As many here have said over and over.

Exactly.  With today’s changes on outdoor masks and independent shore excursions for vaccinated passengers, it would appear that they are listening to and working with the cruise lines.  But that still won’t be good enough for some folks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Adding a link and a couple of direct quotes:

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/covid19-operations-manual-cso.html

• Cruise ship operators, at their discretion, may advise passengers and crew that—if they are fully vaccinated—they may gather or conduct activities outdoors, including engaging in extended meal service or beverage consumption, without wearing a mask except in crowded settings.

• Cruise ship operators, at their discretion, may advise passengers and crew that—if they are fully vaccinated—they may engage in self-guided or independent exploration during port stops, if they wear a mask while indoors. The cruise ship operator is additionally advised that foreign jurisdictions may have their own requirements.

Wonder how vaccinated passengers will be identified to others? Will vaccinated people be issued an arm bracelet? (just a suggestion)

EDIT: NCL will have fully vaccinated passengers and crew so the arm bracelet doesn't really apply for this cruise line. Thinking of other cruise lines if they go with the CDC guidelines of 95% passengers vaccinated. Those cruise lines would need a way to identify those passengers who are, in fact, vaccinated.

Edited by coffeebean

1 minute ago, coffeebean said:

Wonder how vaccinated passengers will be identified to others? Will vaccinated people be issued an arm bracelet? (just a suggestion)

Will we be wearing a scarlet "V" for Vaccinated? 🤣  Sorry, that's what it reminds me of. But I bet you are correct. 

17 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

EDIT: NCL will have fully vaccinated passengers and crew so the arm bracelet doesn't really apply for this cruise line. Thinking of other cruise lines if they go with the CDC guidelines of 95% passengers vaccinated. Those cruise lines would need a way to identify those passengers who are, in fact, vaccinated.

Easier to identify the unvaccinated.   Henna dye tattoo on the forehead ought to do the trick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Definitely not me. After 17 cruises Im going to call it a day. I had the virus. It wasn't fun but 99.9% of people survive. The country has gone crazy and become science/fact deniers. Go to the cdc.gov website. Those at risk (over 70, diabetic, obese and or hypertensive) have a 6-8% mortality rate which is not great. Those that are not at risk have less than .0001% overral chance of catching and dying from the virus.

The liberal media has straight up lied about the risk. Once again cdc.gov to see anything I posted above. Also for reference I’m a registered nurse of 20 years, I see people die from this virus- As well as hypertension, cancer, heart disease, obesity, suicides, car accidents, sepsis, falls, pneumonia, the flu, liver failure, kidney failure, old age, etc etc etc. 

Have a wonderful day everyone! Cdc.gov for the most up to date info. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

looks like the cdc is already backing off the mask wearing 🙂

Not sure I would say "backing off".  More like adjusting the policies as things develop/evolve.  I expect continued adjustments to the policies over the next few months.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, missholly24 said:

Definitely not me. After 17 cruises Im going to call it a day. I had the virus. It wasn't fun but 99.9% of people survive. The country has gone crazy and become science/fact deniers. Go to the cdc.gov website. Those at risk (over 70, diabetic, obese and or hypertensive) have a 6-8% mortality rate which is not great. Those that are not at risk have less than .0001% overral chance of catching and dying from the virus.

The liberal media has straight up lied about the risk. Once again cdc.gov to see anything I posted above. Also for reference I’m a registered nurse of 20 years, I see people die from this virus- As well as hypertension, cancer, heart disease, obesity, suicides, car accidents, sepsis, falls, pneumonia, the flu, liver failure, kidney failure, old age, etc etc etc. 

Have a wonderful day everyone! Cdc.gov for the most up to date info. 

From a retired RN...thank you for not perpetuating fear and lending some context. If only more would speak out without the protection of anonymity. I imagine you know why that is so.

• Like 2

On 5/7/2021 at 4:22 PM, Sailing12Away said:

Sign me up. It's no different what has become my new normal for every day life, but at least I'll have a better view, better weather, and someone else cooking/cleaning/bartending for me. 

I'm with you, safety first.   Will only sail on a ship that requires proof of vaccinations for all, reduced dinner and show occupancy, and yes,  mask wearing is the new normal, and it's not a problem for me.   

• Like 3

I would not want to cruise with the current restrictions. The cdc is singling out the cruise industry with overly restrictive demands, IMO. I come in contact with about a thousand people every day at work, so it was more of when, rather than if, I would get covid. I had it last summer, and still have antibodies, so the 3 to 6 month thing is false. I still donate blood every month, at which time I get tested for antibodies. 11 months so far and good to go. Covid wasn't bad at all (just a very low fever, 100.2, and nothing else), but I'm 55, with no co-mobilities. The majority of my co-workers getting vax'ed are having far worse reactions from the shot than any of us had getting covid. Looking at the numbers, I see no difference in infection rates between vax'ed vs. non vax'ed persons. Your chance of getting a vey bad case is lower with the vax, but only in the over 65 range with co-mobilities. Otherwise the numbers look identical. So for me, I don't see why I should have to get a shot and experience these side effects, that are worse than getting the virus, loose work, etc., if I'm just as protected as a vax'ed person. I'm only looking out for my overall health and well being. I have no problem getting a test before embarkation, but even vax'ed people should have to do that as well. A vax'ed person can transmit the virus just as easily as a non vax'ed person. Once onboard, if we were all negative, why wear a mask? I personally have to wear a mask all day for work, but get light headed at least 2 times a day from it as well, so I don't want to wear it all day for vacation. The whole point is to relax and be on vacation! I want to talk to people from all over the place that I have never met before, I want to dance, I want to relax in the hot tub, I want to enjoy dinner with new found friends, I want to laugh out loud at a comedy show, I want to sing karaoke! These are things I do on a cruise, so to restrict these things would ruin the cruise experience. Please don't single me out, basically a scarlet letter, for not getting the shot that my body doesn't need to fight the virus just to get on board...I'm not any more or less dangerous than a vax'ed person, and I'm a lot of fun on board! Thanks for listening and I hope we all can have a great time on board again very soon.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, bud88 said:

I would not want to cruise with the current restrictions. The cdc is singling out the cruise industry with overly restrictive demands, IMO. I come in contact with about a thousand people every day at work, so it was more of when, rather than if, I would get covid. I had it last summer, and still have antibodies, so the 3 to 6 month thing is false. I still donate blood every month, at which time I get tested for antibodies. 11 months so far and good to go. Covid wasn't bad at all (just a very low fever, 100.2, and nothing else), but I'm 55, with no co-mobilities. The majority of my co-workers getting vax'ed are having far worse reactions from the shot than any of us had getting covid. Looking at the numbers, I see no difference in infection rates between vax'ed vs. non vax'ed persons. Your chance of getting a vey bad case is lower with the vax, but only in the over 65 range with co-mobilities. Otherwise the numbers look identical. So for me, I don't see why I should have to get a shot and experience these side effects, that are worse than getting the virus, loose work, etc., if I'm just as protected as a vax'ed person. I'm only looking out for my overall health and well being. I have no problem getting a test before embarkation, but even vax'ed people should have to do that as well. A vax'ed person can transmit the virus just as easily as a non vax'ed person. Once onboard, if we were all negative, why wear a mask? I personally have to wear a mask all day for work, but get light headed at least 2 times a day from it as well, so I don't want to wear it all day for vacation. The whole point is to relax and be on vacation! I want to talk to people from all over the place that I have never met before, I want to dance, I want to relax in the hot tub, I want to enjoy dinner with new found friends, I want to laugh out loud at a comedy show, I want to sing karaoke! These are things I do on a cruise, so to restrict these things would ruin the cruise experience. Please don't single me out, basically a scarlet letter, for not getting the shot that my body doesn't need to fight the virus just to get on board...I'm not any more or less dangerous than a vax'ed person, and I'm a lot of fun on board! Thanks for listening and I hope we all can have a great time on board again very soon.

I guess you won’t be on any cruises anytime soon. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bud88 said:

A couple of statements jumped out at me when I read your very well thought out post.......

First:  You say your are "just as protected as a vaxxed person". No, that is not true according to this data in the link I provided. In fact, mRNA vaccines have shown to be protective against variants that have emerged early on. How does natural immunity stand up to the variants? I don't know. Do you have data for that?.....

Immune response from mRNA vaccines is more robust

Second:  You mentioned that vaxxed people can transmit Covid just as easily as un-vaxxed people. Did you mean un-vaxxed recovered from Covid people? There is data demonstrating that vaccinated people do not transmit the virus easily. So there is that.

Edited by coffeebean
  • Like 3