Who in their right mind would want to cruise under these conditions??????

Topdog52

11 minutes ago, winterbliss said:

Help me understand....if everyone is vaccinated on the ship, why do so many on this board feel that it makes sense to be told to continue wearing masks?

Although the jury is still out there is a possibility that a vaccinated person can carry and spread the virus and that a different vaccinated person will not be immune to the virus.  So, still a possibility of spread and falling ill.

Yes, I know others are going to huff and puff about the numbers and severity and a host of other things but you asked about why others thought it would continue to make sense (at least for some undetermined period of time) to some other posters to keep the masks on.

Also, I believe you’re just being facetious and aren’t looking for an explanation.

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Ocean Cat said:

Did I understand the article to say that if the cruise originates in the US you can not go on self guided excursions, but that Norwegian is ignoring that suggestion? I’m waffling between a Norwegian and a Royal cruise and I’ll pick the one that will likely have the least amount of restrictions. CEO Frank Del Rio was just interviewed on Fox News. He said he’s willing to do 100% vaccinated cruises only but doesn’t want the masks etc. he tired of the inconsistencies from the CDC and the thought of taking a bite of food and then pulling your mask back up or sipping your drink and pulling the masks back up is ludicrous. He says CDC is doing everything to prevent them from sailing yet airlines don’t have the same restrictions. 

Yes he was ranting about the rules but his SailSafe protocols include a mask requirement so I find it hard to believe he said he doesn’t want masks.  What he wants is for the CSO to be dropped. That is not going to happen. The rules as published were clearly written with unvaccinated cruises in mind. What may happen is for any cruise line committing to full fleet/full vaccinations there could be an adjustment for masks as appropriate.  The CDC does not want to try and corral cruise lines with a mixed bag of vaccinated and unvaccinated sailings. 

14 hours ago, kearney said:

Has anyone seen a link to the actual CDC documentation regarding the need to mask and socially distance as part of latest guidance? The link below is the CDC guidance for "fully vaccinated" people... I do not understand why guidance for fully vaccinated would be different than those items in the cruise critic story. I wonder if that is for when ships sale with non vaccinated people... anyway... look under "What you can start to do" https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated.html

Deleted. 

Edited by harkinmr

13 hours ago, Stallion said:

I do note that the Mask Policy starts "At this time...."  Seems kind of strange to start what usually are declarative policies with a limitation like "At this time". Perhaps they are currently under consideration more in line with CDC recommendations concerning persons who are fully vaccinated.

Those words are there for a reason-although not sure why

Because guidance may change as circumstances warrant. I believe there will be some adjustments made to the guidance for cruise lines committing to full fleet/full vaccinations sailings in their application for a conditional sail permit. 

12 hours ago, voyager1964 said:

"In terms of elevators, capacity will be limited, and the agency suggests that to maintain social distancing guests be encouraged "to take stairs when possible.""

This might be something more painful than the mask wearing

There are elevator capacity protocols in hotels and office buildings across the country now. There are also similar capacity restrictions on current sailings around the world. This rule is not unexpected.  Anyone venturing to cruise at the restart should expect lines at elevators and be willing to take the stairs at times. 

16 hours ago, Goldconnection said:

I have no problems with this. It all sounds good to me. Hope these are enforced through our b2b2b in December. 

Good grief...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

There are elevator capacity protocols in hotels and office buildings across the country now. There are also similar capacity restrictions on current sailings around the world. This rule is not unexpected.  Anyone venturing to cruise at the restart should expect lines at elevators and be willing to take the stairs at times. 

I'd have no problem with the stairs...and in theory it sounds good....BUT....you'd have to socially distance the stairs and each staircase could only be one way.  Think about it....

Back to reality....what's the point of having the vaccine and having a negative covid test if you still need these rules.  The vaccine was made so we could have a normal life.  I'm not going to pay any money so I can obey "these rules".  Nope...not if the entire population of the ship is covid free and vaccinated upon embarkation. 

These were rules for a year ago...when people were saying " My August 2020 cruise is sailing, I'll be on the ship, and I'm gonna have a great time."

• Like 8

You can see Del Rio’s reasoning.  He’s rightfully requiring all guests and crew to be 100% vaccinated. And, given all the grand standing in FL about people having to prove they’re vaccinated to cruise, he’s doing embarkation outside of FL.  Shrewd move.  I applaud him!

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I'd have no problem with the stairs...and in theory it sounds good....BUT....you'd have to socially distance the stairs and each staircase could only be one way.  Think about it....

Back to reality....what's the point of having the vaccine and having a negative covid test if you still need these rules.  The vaccine was made so we could have a normal life.  I'm not going to pay any money so I can obey "these rules".  Nope...not if the entire population of the ship is covid free and vaccinated upon embarkation. 

These were rules for a year ago...when people were saying " My August 2020 cruise is sailing, I'll be on the ship, and I'm gonna have a great time."

I think that the CDC rules were written within the context of partial or fully unvaccinated sailings.  No cruise line has committed to 100% vaccinated sailings in an application to the CDC (other than NCL, and FDR's letter sought elimination of the CSO in return).  Once commitments are made for full fleet/full vaccinated ship populations then some of the protocols may be adjusted on a cruise line by cruise line basis.  They will not be adjusted outside of current CDC guidance however.  Fully vaccinated sailings from the UK, Greece and Israel are requiring similar protocols, so it will be a while before they are dropped in their entirety anywhere.  That's the reality.

The latest guidance from the CDC convinced me to keep my booking for the Joy out of Jamaica in September, even if cruising out of the US opens up. I had been on the fence, thinking I would hold off until final payment in early July to make the full commitment. But now, I am happy to be sailing on a cruise where the CDC's guidance won't have to apply.

I have a high mask-wearing tolerance. I don't consider it to be pure, unadulterated torture like some people do. But I do "follow the science" and the science says that if I am completely surrounded by 100% vaccinated crew and passengers, it is completely ridiculous to have to wear a mask WHILE eating and drinking or even at all, really. Also, the CDC itself has said that COVID is NOT spread on surfaces. So why are they still banning self-service on cruise ships? I am all for health regulations when the science dictates it. I didn't eat inside of a restaurant for a year and half before I was fully vaccinated. I wore my mask religiously. I didn't see friends and family for months and months in real life, once the weather got too cold to see them outside. But there is no science behind some of these requirements and that makes the CDC look bad, if you ask me.

• Like 17

17 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Sign me up. It's no different what has become my new normal for every day life, but at least I'll have a better view, better weather, and someone else cooking/cleaning/bartending for me. 

"new normal"

If your willing to accept this lifestyle as your new normal I feel bad for you. I refuse to wear a mask around for a virus I'm vaccinated against. Absolutely ridiculous.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

Although the jury is still out there is a possibility that a vaccinated person can carry and spread the virus and that a different vaccinated person will not be immune to the virus.  So, still a possibility of spread and falling ill.

Yes, I know others are going to huff and puff about the numbers and severity and a host of other things but you asked about why others thought it would continue to make sense (at least for some undetermined period of time) to some other posters to keep the masks on.

Also, I believe you’re just being facetious and aren’t looking for an explanation.

How many people a day cough or sneeze in your face? If someone did that to me we would have issues..

So why do I need a mask? I don't understand it. There is a way higher chance of someone coughing or sneezing onto a surface me touching it and then adjusting my mask. (Your not gonna cough or sneeze into your mask are you?)

The masks are a control tactic that's all.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

The latest guidance from the CDC convinced me to keep my booking for the Joy out of Jamaica in September, even if cruising out of the US opens up. I had been on the fence, thinking I would hold off until final payment in early July to make the full commitment. But now, I am happy to be sailing on a cruise where the CDC's guidance won't have to apply.

I have a high mask-wearing tolerance. I don't consider it to be pure, unadulterated torture like some people do. But I do "follow the science" and the science says that if I am completely surrounded by 100% vaccinated crew and passengers, it is completely ridiculous to have to wear a mask WHILE eating and drinking or even at all, really. Also, the CDC itself has said that COVID is NOT spread on surfaces. So why are they still banning self-service on cruise ships? I am all for health regulations when the science dictates it. I didn't eat inside of a restaurant for a year and half before I was fully vaccinated. I wore my mask religiously. I didn't see friends and family for months and months in real life, once the weather got too cold to see them outside. But there is no science behind some of these requirements and that makes the CDC look bad, if you ask me.

Then you should be prepared to wear a mask on your fully vaccinated Joy sailing.  NCL's SailSafe protocols include mask wearing and social distancing.  They also do not allow self-service for dining.  And the CDC's rules do not require that you wear a mask "while eating".  The rule has been misconstrued by the cruise media.  It prohibits extended dining or drinking in order to avoid the mask policy.  Although in-artfully drafted it is an "active eating and drinking" rule just as is applied on current cruises worldwide.  

At this time, all persons, including port personnel, crew, and passengers (including those that are fully vaccinated) are advised that CDC’s Mask Order remains in effect and requires the wearing of masks on conveyances entering, traveling within or leaving the United States, and in U.S. transportation hubs (see Maritime-specific Frequently Asked Questions).

• While the Order permits temporarily removing a mask for brief periods of time while eating or drinking, removal of the mask for extended meal service or beverage consumption would constitute a violation of this Order.

33 minutes ago, jperry2011 said:

The masks are a control tactic that's all.

Handcuffs are a control tactic.  3-ply tissue masks may be a bit of an overreach for perceived health issues but for most people, an inconvenience.

37 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Then you should be prepared to wear a mask on your fully vaccinated Joy sailing.  NCL's SailSafe protocols include mask wearing and social distancing.  They also do not allow self-service for dining.  And the CDC's rules do not require that you wear a mask "while eating".  The rule has been misconstrued by the cruise media.  It prohibits extended dining or drinking in order to avoid the mask policy.  Although in-artfully drafted it is an "active eating and drinking" rule just as is applied on current cruises worldwide.  

At this time, all persons, including port personnel, crew, and passengers (including those that are fully vaccinated) are advised that CDC’s Mask Order remains in effect and requires the wearing of masks on conveyances entering, traveling within or leaving the United States, and in U.S. transportation hubs (see Maritime-specific Frequently Asked Questions).

• While the Order permits temporarily removing a mask for brief periods of time while eating or drinking, removal of the mask for extended meal service or beverage consumption would constitute a violation of this Order.

I do not believe NCL will require as strict mask wearing while eating/drinking as the CDC is calling for. I also do not believe they will require mask wearing outdoors, as the CDC is requiring masks on the pool deck of not swimming. As for self service buffets, it does seem that everyone is on that bandwagon, even though the COVID science doesn't support it. I am sure it will be helpful for preventing the spread of other disease.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I do not believe NCL will require as strict mask wearing while eating/drinking as the CDC is calling for. I also do not believe they will require mask wearing outdoors, as the CDC is requiring masks on the pool deck of not swimming. As for self service buffets, it does seem that everyone is on that bandwagon, even though the COVID science doesn't support it. I am sure it will be helpful for preventing the spread of other disease.

Your September cruise is a ways off so things may change dramatically in the interim.  It will be interesting to see NCL's own protocols in action over the next few months on their cruises outside the US.  

We are fully vaccinated, and I was hoping to not have to wear masks outside on deck. I’m trying to picture cruising under these guidelines.

One family at a time in the hot tub. How would that work? Do you reserve a ten minute time slot and get only one during your entire cruise.

6 feet of distance in the pool. Does this mean that the 8 people in the pool have to stand in one place so they don’t get to close together? 

My 17 year old in the teen club, having to stay 6 feet away from everyone. 

Packaged grab and go meals in my cabin. 

This does not sound like a vacation to me. I think I’d choose something on land instead. 

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, CarolinaMamma said:

We are fully vaccinated, and I was hoping to not have to wear masks outside on deck. I’m trying to picture cruising under these guidelines.

One family at a time in the hot tub. How would that work? Do you reserve a ten minute time slot and get only one during your entire cruise.

6 feet of distance in the pool. Does this mean that the 8 people in the pool have to stand in one place so they don’t get to close together? 

My 17 year old in the teen club, having to stay 6 feet away from everyone. 

Packaged grab and go meals in my cabin. 

This does not sound like a vacation to me. I think I’d choose something on land instead. 

I agree- and that's starting to look like the point. I've been picturing the discussion at the CDC:

Dave: The unwashed masses are complaining about cruises again

Tony: I know... let's make them wear masks- in the sun!

Bob: and suggest an invisible fence to keep them in line("wristbands to alert guests if they are breaking social distancing protocols").hahaha that oughta do it

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Here is what I consider to be the most preposterous- CDC says masks back on between bites and sips while dining.  Also states to not touch your mask. The conflicting information is exhausting 

Edited by purpleally
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

"The cruise ship operator must ensure all volunteer passengers have either:

• Proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 using an S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-authorized vaccine or a vaccine product that has received emergency use listing from the World Health Organization (WHO); or
  • If not fully vaccinated, written documentation from a healthcare provider or self-certified statement that the volunteer passenger has no medical conditions that would place the volunteer at high risk for severe COVID-19 as determined through CDC guidance"

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/ti-simulated-voyages-cso.html

They actually require the above for test cruises, but still include all those stupid requirements as the first hoop before being allowed to take paying passengers again.

It really looks like they just hate cruiselines. All of them

4 hours ago, d9704011 said:

You are more likely to fall off the ship.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Handcuffs are a control tactic.  3-ply tissue masks may be a bit of an overreach for perceived health issues but for most people, an inconvenience.

If you want to be masked up forever be my guest.. don't force them on people especially those of us already vaccinated. That's called control.

• Like 8

yeah, no. We like to enjoy the spa and who knows  what the guidelines will be for that. We are currently on the Transatlantic from Rome to NYC this coming November in a spa stateroom and again most likely we wont go. I guess our cruising days are over for now. We have 4 cruise certificates which will expire this year, we canceled two cruises last year. Sigh. We so enjoyed our cruises. We will wait a while longer. We both got our vaccines though. :-).

Edited by spanishguy1970
  • Like 1