Galaxy S21 Ultra Compared to iPhone 12 Pro Max

Take it from another pro photographer ....

I've never been hired to shoot a wedding because I had the best iPhone  ...

I can do things with my mirrorless Sony cameras that are not possible with a smart phone  ... someday maybe but not yet IMO  ...

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

I can do things with my mirrorless Sony cameras that are not possible with a smart phone  ... someday maybe but not yet IMO  ...

Totally agree w you.  However, the  post compares the IPhone w the Samsung phone and there are plenty of people out there who use their cell phone as their only camera.

DON

2 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Totally agree w you.  However, the  post compares the IPhone w the Samsung phone and there are plenty of people out there who use their cell phone as their only camera.

DON

I was addressing the articles first sentence, "The iPhone 12 Pro Max has wowed us with its ability to take stunning photos that can rival what you might see from a professional DSLR."

But then one could say there are pros  .... and then there are better PROS 😁

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

I was addressing the articles first sentence, "The iPhone 12 Pro Max has wowed us with its ability to take stunning photos that can rival what you might see from a professional DSLR."

But then one could say there are pros  .... and then there are better PROS 😁

I agree.  In bright sunlight (and compared only with other phones), the iPhone 12 Pro Max is excellent, but when you get into the shadows and start seeing lots of noise from all those pixels on such tiny sensors, or dimly lit indoors where the small lenses just can't gather the light of a DSLR, the phones suffer.

The powerful processors in the iPhone do a lot of work to reduce noise and boost ISO behind the scenes, but equating that with a professional DSLR is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This is very interesting in that my husband needs a new phone and his preference in a point and shoot camera is one with a great digital zoom! He is an Android guy while I've made the switch to an iPhone Pro Max. If he gets the Galaxy S21 Ultra we'll have zoom and dark scenes covered! (Although my major travel camera is the Sony A7ii.)

• 4 weeks later...

This solves an issue that many people want and puts a strain on an industry trying to remain relevant. 99.9% (if not higher) of all pictures are taken with a phone. Over 90% of the population no longer has a need or want for a separate camera. Yes, no one asks for a wedding to be shot with an iPhone. However, almost all photos taken with phones meet the wants/needs of the people. Unfortunately none of them really care at the quality even though it is pretty good. I have been contemplating the same thing. I can spend $1000s upfront for a camera and gear, spend $100s for software, spend hours editing photos. Or, I can be happy having captured the moment and not worry about it. If I want that grand photo of whatever, someone has probably already taken it, I can pay $20-$30 for the photo, and get it printed. 

I am happy with my gear for my purchases. Software is more than capable of taking poor-to-great photos and making them even better. Topaz, DXO, etc all have technology to fix and correct poor photos. It is amazing what Topaz can do with it's AI. Insane what DXO can do for noise. 

• 4 months later...
On 5/9/2021 at 5:15 PM, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

I agree with you. However, no one ever asked Michelangelo what brushes he used to paint with. Skill, experience and technique are far more valuable than camera gear. A camera is just a tool to get the shot in your mind's eye. I've seen great images from a disposable cardboard film camera and a guy with a Canon EOS 1DX Mark III DSLR take nothing more than snapshots.