What is Your Favorite Appetizers you had on your Cruise......

BklynBoy8

As Always I like Smoked Salmon with the accompanied fixings (chopped red onion, chopped egg whites & yolks, capers and toast points). Of course cream cheese if want. I remember on the QE2 in the Princess Grill the rolling table with the salmons were right by our table each morning and dinner time.

• Like 1

I like anything with cheese from the simple mozzarella sticks to maybe an artichoke dip with cheese.  On cruises, I get a soup or salad and then something like beef carpaccio, asian bites like wontons, dumplings or spring rolls, or a nice meatball.  I am one of those odd people who don't like seafood but I keep sampling seafood items on cruises since it is free! 

Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail

Caviar with all the fixings

Smoked Salmon with all the fixings

French Onion Soup

Princess' Fettuccine Alfredo (if it is prepared properly)

Prosciutto and Melon

Manchego Cheese and Melon

A cold soup (sometimes like "a dessert if it is fruity" before the "main attraction")

Escargot (the more buttery and garlicky the better)

Frog Legs

Soups, in general, if what is offered sounds good and if the Chef makes a good 

soup

A mixture of a variety of seafood as a cocktail:  scallops, crab, shrimp, etc,  

Those are my favorites.  

33 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail

Caviar with all the fixings

Smoked Salmon with all the fixings

French Onion Soup

Princess' Fettuccine Alfredo (if it is prepared properly)

Prosciutto and Melon

Manchego Cheese and Melon

A cold soup (sometimes like "a dessert if it is fruity" before the "main attraction")

Escargot (the more buttery and garlicky the better)

Frog Legs

Soups, in general, if what is offered sounds good and if the Chef makes a good 

soup

A mixture of a variety of seafood as a cocktail:  scallops, crab, shrimp, etc,  

Those are my favorites.  

Ditto to many, not all, but many....

Caviar definitely #1 too..... I am sorry I missed that with Salmon obsession. You only get it if you are lucky on the QM2 once during a sailing in the basic dining room. More available other days in upper grades.

I remember the Chilled soups on the Elizabeth 2 more than now. Both Fruit and Vegetables items used.

Not really a pasta person on sailings. The second sailing on the Queen Mary 2 embarkation dinner I had and liked very much was Spaghetti and Meatballs - Great. Leaving other evenings for more adventurous items.

First sailing in 2006 on the Mary 2, my first appetizer was Chilled Soba Noodles which I remember to today.

Appetizers are where it all starts.

On land I used to have a few restaurants (Ruby Tuesday) comes to mind where I would order a special of three appetizers for a reduced price and that was my meal.  Or some place like TGIFridays that had unlimited apps.  I couldn't seem to find anyone who was doing that lately, even pre-COVID.  I've never tried it on a ship because I nearly always find an Entree I want to try and the few times I don't, I forget to ask and just order one of the get-it-everyday standby entrees like steak.  I might have to ask onboard the American Queen in September since they will probably have a slightly smaller selection on entrees than an ocean cruise.  I also can't find any good affordable tapas restaurant nearby that doesn't have three quarters of the small plates being seafood.  Also all they are all in the city proper where I don't venture often.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, seamus69 said:

have a slightly smaller selection on entrees than an ocean cruise.  

Smaller servings of some entrees sometimes are available.  Not often, but the appetizer menu is more interesting than the entrees and I will make a dinner (of lunch) of such items.  

23 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I remember the Chilled soups on the Elizabeth 2 more than now. Both Fruit and Vegetables items used.

A well made Gazpacho is hard to beat, in my opinion.  

More thinking reminded my of my love for Sweetbreads.  I have had a variety of appetizers that included Sweetbreads on HAL and MSC's YC.  All have been good.  Yet, nothing beats the simple preparation of gently sauteed Sweetbreads.  

I would like to try some Pates on a cruise but I'm not counting on liking it since many are made from chicken liver which I don't car for.  I don't remember seeing more than one terrine on all the cruises I have been on.  I don't think I tried it but I should have.  I actually have made several terrines at home and made a country pate made of ground pork for use in making a Banh Mi

7 hours ago, seamus69 said:

I have always thought sliders were overrated as appetizer.  Never really found one that was all that special 

Rather have a full size burger than three patties, three rolls...

6 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Rather have a full size burger than three patties, three rolls...

Me too.  Sliders end up having a higher bread to meat ratio...Where's the Beef?

• Thanks 1

Pate’...my favorite.  I have often made a whole meal out of three appetizers.  I love pate’ with bread and wine.  Escargots are a close second but the snails have to be fresh or fresh frozen...never canned.  Gravlax is another favorite along with prosciutto melone also anything en croute.  I love those puff pastry treats.  I long for good Beluga caviar with good Champagne (Moët et Chandon) but those days are long gone.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

One of the App's that we had on the QM2 I am not sure mentioned in the past was Chilled Soba Noodles w Peanut Sauce.

They were new adventure to a new item to try while sailing. I found many items were introduced to us while on the water and would try to get them again at home.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 7:07 PM, seamus69 said:

I have always thought sliders were overrated as appetizer

"Sliders" are something that I would buy at a White Castle burger restaurant.  They do not belong--in whatever concoction--on a ship's menu.

On 5/10/2021 at 4:49 PM, seamus69 said:

chicken liver which I don't car for. 

Fried Chicken Livers!  ☺️  Love them!  I like fried chicken hearts and gizzards as well, but you might not agree, I expect.  😀

Their was a Spanish cheese/melon appetizer that was served on the Eurodam in January, 2020:  Manchego Cheese.  Very good and different from the usual pairing of Prosciutto with melon.  

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

"Sliders" are something that I would buy at a White Castle burger restaurant.  They do not belong--in whatever concoction--on a ship's menu.

Fried Chicken Livers!  ☺️  Love them!  I like fried chicken hearts and gizzards as well, but you might not agree, I expect.  😀

Their was a Spanish cheese/melon appetizer that was served on the Eurodam in January, 2020:  Manchego Cheese.  Very good and different from the usual pairing of Prosciutto with melon.  

Chicken livers Caruso...one of my favorite Italian sauces.  Chopped (chicken) liver is definitely one of my favorite deli items.  Served with a side of Mayo, red onion and crackers!  

Spanish cheese/melon sounds similar to Italian prosciutto melone...wonderful.

11 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Chicken livers Caruso...one of my favorite Italian sauces.  Chopped (chicken) liver is definitely one of my favorite deli items.  Served with a side of Mayo, red onion and crackers!  

chicken livers...no thanks.

I could go for Spanish cheese/melon though...yum

5 hours ago, seamus69 said:

chicken livers...no thanks.

Chicken Livers......I've never seen them on a cruise ship at all. Not sure if it would be used as a canape during at a bar pre dinner or during a World Cruise Club Reception.

In a restaurant on land I like Chicken Livers already prepared with Chicken Fat as a Pate, finely chopped red onion, chopped egg and egg whites. Almost like caviar. When with toasted brioche points. 

2 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Chicken Livers......I've never seen them on a cruise ship at all. Not sure if it would be used as a canape during at a bar pre dinner or during a World Cruise Club Reception.

In a restaurant on land I like Chicken Livers already prepared with Chicken Fat as a Pate, finely chopped red onion, chopped egg and egg whites. Almost like caviar. When with toasted brioche points. 

We used to see pasta Caruso on the menus all the time...back when a farinaceous course was offered.  Chopped liver on brioche sounds just right!

• Thanks 1

On 5/26/2021 at 2:20 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

Chicken Livers......I've never seen them on a cruise ship at all.

Nor have I.

On 5/26/2021 at 8:48 AM, seamus69 said:

I could go for Spanish cheese/melon though...yum

On 5/25/2021 at 9:13 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

The cheese/melon was presented as Prosciutto/melon would have been.  One of my dining companions on that cruise was a couple of Cuban heritage who are Miami residents.  Jose recommended this to me and he was quite correct.  It was delicious.  

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/7/2021 at 11:01 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

As Always I like Smoked Salmon with the accompanied fixings (chopped red onion, chopped egg whites & yolks, capers and toast points). Of course cream cheese if want. I remember on the QE2 in the Princess Grill the rolling table with the salmons were right by our table each morning and dinner time.

smoked salmon (I call it lox).........that dish with capers and onions? Give me that for breakfast with a bagel and cream cheese please😃

I love chicken livers and as for pate? As a child, my mom made the most delicious chopped liver.......🙂

I guess like many things, it can be an acquired taste......I acquired it as a little girl😃.

Love it with those cocktail size rye breads........YUM!!!! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

I love chicken livers and as for pate? As a child, my mom made the most delicious chopped liver.......🙂

I guess like many things, it can be an acquired taste......I acquired it as a little girl😃.

Love it with those cocktail size rye breads........YUM!!!! 

Liver with real Jewish rendered Chicken Fat makes it original.

At home I sautee the white sweet onions with Veg. Oil then add the liver. On side good hard boiled eggs peeled and cooled. After liver made cooled I put it thru a hand mill or Hand chopped to combine to all to chop consistency. Good Rye Bread or Your favorite with thin slice of white onion below liver on bread. Yum! 

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

smoked salmon (I call it lox).........that dish with capers and onions? Give me that for breakfast with a bagel and cream cheese please😃

Bagel, cream cheese with lox and sliced red onion.

In Brooklyn, Lox is Plain Smoked Salmon with Nova being a bit more salty. Get it from a Smoked Fish Supplier..Can't believe the very very thin slicing knife they use.