What is Your Favorite Appetizers you had on your Cruise......

BklynBoy8

2 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Thanks Lois,

I had a very good meeting with my surgeon this AM.  She explained everything in detail…even drew me a map to show how she was going to give me 100% circulation.  I’m scheduled for June 28th.  I’ll have to meet for a few preliminary tests but all looks good.

I can’t say enough good things about Lahey Clinic and my doctors…WOW!!  

Cheers!

This is the Kidney Transplant??? Week after next? Or did I miss something?

5 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Go to Favorite Cocktails page 7 for details.  This AM meeting was about my triple bypass.

Ohhh.....wow, so you are having a triple bypass on June 28th..........

Ok...will look at that thread.........oh, I forgot you explained it to me on there.......

Glad you will be able to get this taken care of🙂

On 6/15/2021 at 5:11 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

I welcome all to share it with me...... Mill Basin has recently reopened it's dining room to sit.

Mill Basin Deli - Brooklyn, NY 11234 (Menu & Order Online)

On 6/15/2021 at 5:22 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

כּשר MILL BASIN DELI כּשר - כּשר Mill Basin Deli כּשר

Paleo Chopped Liver | Chopped liver, Food, Jewish recipes

I wouldn't mind a version of this on the future sailing

These items look delicious.  But, being ignorant of many cuisines, may I ask what these dishes are?  

34 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

These items look delicious.  But, being ignorant of many cuisines, may I ask what these dishes are?  

The last dish is chicken liver pate......chopped chicken livers....depending on how it was made.....chicken fat, onions.......delicious. 

The other photo is what I call potato latkas......or pancakes......pototoes, onions, some folks put either flour or eggs in the mixture.......they fry up and are delicious. It is a pretty well known Jewish dish.

The first photo is Matzah Ball soup.  Made with matzah meal which is like flour but does not have the yeast part. It is also a Jewish dish.   There are different versions...some matzah balls are very fluffy while some are more dense. Just depends on the recipe really.

50 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Matzoh Ball Soap

Potato Pancakes w Apple Sauc

Chicken Livers

Jewish "Deli" Cuisine

Edited by BklynBoy8
Question of Food
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Lois R said:

The last dish is chicken liver pate......chopped chicken livers....depending on how it was made.....chicken fat, onions.......delicious. 

The other photo is what I call potato latkas......or pancakes......pototoes, onions, some folks put either flour or eggs in the mixture.......they fry up and are delicious. It is a pretty well known Jewish dish.

The first photo is Matzah Ball soup.  Made with matzah meal which is like flour but does not have the yeast part. It is also a Jewish dish.   There are different versions...some matzah balls are very fluffy while some are more dense. Just depends on the recipe really.

Thank you.  I ought to have recognized the Latkes.  When I have visited my Jewish friends in Toronto, they did prepare these once.  My Mother used to make potato pancakes out of leftover mashed potatoes.  Um, good!  I am a chicken liver lover while my friends gag.  Never had Matzah Ball soup, though.  

16 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Thank you.  I ought to have recognized the Latkes.  When I have visited my Jewish friends in Toronto, they did prepare these once.  My Mother used to make potato pancakes out of leftover mashed potatoes.  Um, good!  I am a chicken liver lover while my friends gag.  Never had Ball soup, though.  

Potato Latkes are usually made with grated potatoes and onions w other ingredients. We eat them with applesauce or sugared & Sour Cream. I have seen mini ones like 1/2 dollars size w a small dollop of sour cream & cavier.

Who doesn't like chicken livers. On Rye and slice of Red Onion. Half Sour Pickle my preference.

Matzah Soup is good. I prefer noodles or just diced carrots w the broth. We keep a quart in the freezer from the deli as penicillin alternate. Great if under the weather. Matzah Ball is just the meal and egg. Formed in small balls and boiled in the broth. DW like them.

3 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Potato Latkes are usually made with grated potatoes and onions w other ingredients. We eat them with applesauce or sugared & Sour Cream. I have seen mini ones like 1/2 dollars size w a small dollop of sour cream & cavier.

Who doesn't like chicken livers. On Rye and slice of Red Onion.

Latkes:  your iteration of my Mother's potato pancakes would be well accepted by my family.  Doubt that applesauce would have been considered as a condiment, but certainly could have been a salad type item during one of our dinners.  

I love pate!  Of whatever type!  As I said, when I mention chicken livers to friends, many negative reactions to that.  Chicken livers and gizzards were often prepared when I was growing up.  Along with Sweetbreads, tongue, and even brains of some type of animal.  

My Father was a hunter.  Pheasant and rabbit were entrees more than once.  He also fished, but was less successful at that.  

10 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Latkes:  your iteration of my Mother's potato pancakes would be well accepted by my family.  Doubt that applesauce would have been considered as a condiment, but certainly could have been a salad type item during one of our dinners.  

I love pate!  Of whatever type!  As I said, when I mention chicken livers to friends, many negative reactions to that.  Chicken livers and gizzards were often prepared when I was growing up.  Along with Sweetbreads, tongue, and even brains of some type of animal.  

My Father was a hunter.  Pheasant and rabbit were entrees more than once.  He also fished, but was less successful at that.  

Did you say pâté’?  I love pâté’ and galantines.  Once upon a time you would see that at every meal onboard ship.  They have virtually disappeared on cruise ships.  You can make a great lunch with some bread, pâté and wine…or as an appetizer to start dinner.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

You can make a great lunch with some bread, pâté and wine

You have given me the idea to see if my local upscale grocery might have some types of pate available for sale.  They have a dedicated Cheese Shop within the store.  I wonder if that is where I might find such a product?  

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

You have given me the idea to see if my local upscale grocery might have some types of pate available for sale.  They have a dedicated Cheese Shop within the store.  I wonder if that is where I might find such a product?  

I believe you will.  Even my working class supermarket offers a decent country pâté.  Better yet…learn how to make it.  Pâté lasts a long time in the fridge and you can freeze it.  

• Like 1

On 6/24/2021 at 8:36 PM, rkacruiser said:

19 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I do have favorite country pate from a French Restaurant in the theater district in NYC we go to before a show. They used a country grain mustard w English type of crackers.

Organ meat I know is not all. We had in our house we had tongue with resembled a pork tenderloin. Mom boiled it. Cow stomach with called tripe. It's used by Italians but also in Polish cuisine in a tomato sauce. 

Jacque Pepin always makes a great pate on one of his episodes. Either in a cellophane tube or smaller pound cake pan to serve small slices. Some food speciality shop serve one with either a hard boiled egg in the middle or incorporate pistachios.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I do have favorite country pate from a French Restaurant in the theater district in NYC we go to before a show. They used a country grain mustard w English type of crackers.

Organ meat I know is not all. We had in our house we had tongue with resembled a pork tenderloin. Mom boiled it. Cow stomach with called tripe. It's used by Italians but also in Polish cuisine in a tomato sauce. 

Jacque Pepin always makes a great pate on one of his episodes. Either in a cellophane tube or smaller pound cake pan to serve small slices. Some food speciality shop serve one with either a hard boiled egg in the middle or incorporate pistachios.  

BB, you are making me hungry and all I have in the house is liver wurst!  So sad…

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

BB, you are making me hungry and all I have in the house is liver wurst!  So sad…

WOW, Liverwurst on a Kaiser Roll w Mustard and Crispy Iceberg Lettuce. I like a warm cup of tea with it.

Mangia!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

WOW, Liverwurst on a Kaiser Roll w Mustard and Crispy Iceberg Lettuce. I like a warm cup of tea with it.

Mangia!

Liver wurst on light rye with deli mustard and a very thin slice of onion and sweet pickles on the side.  My standard comfort food.  I would still like a slice of duck pâté with some grilled bread and a nice glass of Niersteiner Gutes Domtal.

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Liver wurst on light rye with deli mustard and a very thin slice of onion and sweet pickles on the side.  My standard comfort food.  I would still like a slice of duck pâté with some grilled bread and a nice glass of Niersteiner Gutes Domtal.

Liverwurst has to be sliced and not smeared. Not like braunschweiger in a plastic tube.

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Liverwurst has to be sliced and not smeared. Not like braunschweiger in a plastic tube.

Absolutely…I ordered some Boarshead liver wurst yesterday and the deli actually peeled it before slicing.  That was a first!

• Like 1

On 6/26/2021 at 8:02 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

On 6/26/2021 at 10:00 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Absolutely…I ordered some Boarshead liver wurst yesterday and the deli actually peeled it before slicing.  That was a first!

You fellows are making me hungry!  I have not had Braunschweiger in a long time.  That was a favorite of my parents and Grandparents.  Then, they sliced it as I have done when I have bought some.  Never even considered trying to spread it on a slice of bread.  

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Then, they sliced it as I have done when I have bought some.  Never even considered trying to spread it on a slice of bread.  

rkacruiser,

I think CGT will agree, need to smear on a good Rye Bread. Me, slightly toasted, slightly.

Dad liked sliced onion of course.

23 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

rkacruiser,

I think CGT will agree, need to smear on a good Rye Bread. Me, slightly toasted, slightly.

Hi, did he have surgery earlier this week and is he doing ok?

On 7/2/2021 at 4:44 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

rkacruiser,

This exchange about liverwurst and braunschweiger caused me to do some research on the difference between the two.  My conclusion:  not a whole lot.  Smeared on whatever; sliced and served on whatever.  It's an individual choice.    The contents of each differs somewhat; how they are prepared differs somewhat.  What I am able to buy has been boiled and is in a plastic casing that I need to remove before eating rather than having been smoked and is in a natural casing that is edible.  

Guess what is on my shopping list for my next trip to the grocery?  

On 7/2/2021 at 5:50 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

Lois,

Not sure if still MIA....recovering.......

Hi gang,

I’m here…recuperating.  They moved me from the ICU last night.  I went in Monday at 6:00 AM and was out after 12:00 Noon. They cracked my chest and did a fantastic job with my triple bypass.  I was very weak and sore for the first 5 days.  Tonight I was able to walk a great distance with a walker.  I think I’ll be going home in two more days.   Then I will put the full press on for a new kidney!  Then it will be TIME FOR A CRUISE!!

All the best to all of you,

CGT

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hi gang,

I’m here…recuperating.  They moved me from the ICU last night.  I went in Monday at 6:00 AM and was out after 12:00 Noon. They cracked my chest and did a fantastic job with my triple bypass.  I was very weak and sore for the first 5 days.  Tonight I was able to walk a great distance with a walker.  I think I’ll be going home in two more days.   Then I will put the full press on for a new kidney!  Then it will be TIME FOR A CRUISE!!

All the best to all of you,

CGT

First, Happy 4th to Mass. and will be Watching Boston Pops tomorrow like always.

Feel better and I will be the first to write a Script for a Well Deserved Cruise! lool.....